There's a rat at government house - literally!

snoop1130

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Philthyphil said:

Food hygiene in Thailand gets about a 1 out of ten.

The way they use food handling gloves, touching the moneywith them still on etc makes me honestly believe they think the gloves are to keep their hands clean, not the food. 

The grime and filth in an average shop house "Daam Sang" style restaurant astonishes me. Dirty walls, usually a filthy old paint bucket on the floor used for slops etc, quite often dead cockroaches on the floor, a filthy old rag they use to wipe the cutting board on which they chop vegetables, raw and cooked meats of various animals etc etc, no soap n the bathrooms, no hand washing facilities, filthy plastic chairs that never get cleaned etc etc

Even the cleaner restaurants worry me as I have seen the markets where they source their food. 

I feel you are being overly generous in awarding one out of ten. One restaurant in ten might deserve such a high score. A self  respecting rat would avoid the other nine.

18 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I feel you are being overly generous in awarding one out of ten. One restaurant in ten might deserve such a high score. A self  respecting rat would avoid the other nine.

I give them half a point for the way they keep the spoons and forks in those boxes to keep the rats and roaches from crawling over them.

and another bonus half a point because despite the set up they still manage to produce tasty food.

Farangs are obsessed by cleanliness, presentation and ambience. Thais couldn't give a stuff about all that if the food doesn't have the flavours perfectly balanced. 

13 hours ago, Philthyphil said:

The way they use food handling gloves, touching the moneywith them still on etc makes me honestly believe they think the gloves are to keep their hands clean, not the food. 

The grime and filth in an average shop house "Daam Sang" style restaurant astonishes me. Dirty walls, usually a filthy old paint bucket on the floor used for slops etc, quite often dead cockroaches on the floor, a filthy old rag they use to wipe the cutting board on which they chop vegetables, raw and cooked meats of various animals etc etc, no soap n the bathrooms, no hand washing facilities, filthy plastic chairs that never get cleaned etc etc

Even the cleaner restaurants worry me as I have seen the markets where they source their food. 

Filthyphil :)

"Thailand plans to create forests in urban areas to help absorb air pollution and build more green offices."

If history is any indicator, the only thing the green areas will absorb will be more plastic bags, straws, bottles, etc. 

To remind you:

rats can transmit the following disease: Leptospirosis, Hantavirus, Tularemia, The black Plague, a.o.

Believe it or not, at home we drinking everymorning orange juice, to prevent the above said deseases, always cleaning the oranges before crush.

14 hours ago, Philthyphil said:

I think you meant minus 10 out of 10

"Thai Rat said that contracts to serve food at government house are issued six monthly - and the contracts have just been renewed."

That's good, free protein for 6 months, assuming that some rats meet their maker there and are served to hungry politicians

14 hours ago, Enoon said:

A huge rat that p***** and s**** as it walks over everything. 

Not even breaking stride or pausing as it fouls all beneath its feet.

On a mission of relentless contamination.

definitely analogous  to the situation regarding the OCCUPANTS of gov't house, and the BiB as well... :saai:

5 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

To remind you:

rats can transmit the following disease: Leptospirosis, Hantavirus, Tularemia, The black Plague, a.o.

Believe it or not, at home we drinking everymorning orange juice, to prevent the above said deseases, always cleaning the oranges before crush.

Orange juice can prevent Leptospirosis, Hantavirus, Tularemia and the Black Plague???  Wow!

Humans beings carry more bacterial cells than Human cells.  You are more likely to get a disease from another human being than a rat.

Streptococcus, Hepatitis B and C, HIV, Herpes etc etc. 

Yes, rats are unhygienic and should not be walking around on our food... but think about how many people you personally know who have got a disease off a rat, then this about how many people you know who have got sick from another human being....

I have lived her many years.  I eat about 70  percent Thai food, from markets, local small restaurants, and food carts.  I cook also at home for the rest.  NEVER been sick from eating from these places... despite the low hygiene standards compared to the West. However, I has hospitalized in the UK from sever food poisoning I got eating at an expensive and high so restaurant... which looked very clean!

i have lost count of how many rats i see in thai restaurants , one huge bast***d  running over plates at a very popular pattaya place at 12 noon with 100 odd customers inside.  

they need get their blooody act together and get thai,s to get clean , get real now.

also lost count how many times i have bad food poison.  

Hmmmh, somebody told me there are not only rats in the kitchen.  They are to be seen in comfortable chairs in bright offices smoking expensive cigars. Some, so I've been told are wearing uniforms.....On the desks are loads of Bahts. But I suppose it was only a bad dream of somebody.

15 hours ago, chowny77 said:

This is not a new thing. Thailand has a very bad sewer system which helps as a breeding ground for rats, cockroaches and even snakes who are after the rats. To fix this problem would cost way too much money to fix, as Bangkok is basically a going to go under the water anyway in about 100+ years. It would be better for Thailand if they started to fund the next capital city and its infrastructure rather than waste the cash on Bangkok. Issan is a good bet as the site for the next capital city!

Could be the Venice of Asia so to speak , every cloud has a silver lining ,  the mind boggles