What Does a Smile Get You in Thailand?

eldragon

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I usually get one back! Is it worth the very small effort? Yes, I think so.

Me too. Especially out here in rural Khampaeng Phet where the smiles are genuine. Some of the smaller kids are still a little shy, both the younger and older women give a big smile but the men not so much unless they know you. I sometimes get smiles from monks on their alms rounds too.

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Oh OK !!  20 baht on the flag stick thingy thing they give you.  :biggrin:

Why not?

I give because I want to and I have a fair idea of how the monks like in rural temples.

There are no "flying saucers" out here. One wat has waited nearly 10 years to get their crematorium built. another has waited about 15 years to get the track up to their wat done over in concrete.

They have an area where visitors can stay overnight which was handy when about 20 relatives came for my MIL cremation and stayed there. My wife and neighbours were down at the wat cooking for about 3 days from dawn to dusk. Our house was full as was the MIL small house as well.

We support them often but not always on the alms rounds.

13 hours ago, billd766 said:

Why not?

I give because I want to and I have a fair idea of how the monks like in rural temples.

There are no "flying saucers" out here. One wat has waited nearly 10 years to get their crematorium built. another has waited about 15 years to get the track up to their wat done over in concrete.

They have an area where visitors can stay overnight which was handy when about 20 relatives came for my MIL cremation and stayed there. My wife and neighbours were down at the wat cooking for about 3 days from dawn to dusk. Our house was full as was the MIL small house as well.

We support them often but not always on the alms rounds.

Fair call bill,  l only was having a humorous dig as l'm sure you know.

Lots of smiles in my village it's where Siam ( Thailand ) began. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Fair call bill,  l only was having a humorous dig as l'm sure you know.

Lots of smiles in my village it's where Siam ( Thailand ) began. :thumbsup:

:sorry::blush::goof:   Where I will be tonight if my son passes the entrance exam for his new school today.  :wai::welcomeani::biggrin::burp:

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

:sorry::blush::goof:   Where I will be tonight if my son passes the entrance exam for his new school today.  :wai::welcomeani::biggrin::burp:

Yeah great l was proud when my step son finished Uni with his degree. :thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Stay with him now the hard part starts. Impart wisdom.

Not sure what you mean, we have always supported his education and as of now my step son has his own business in a partnership in Bkk doing stuff for TV companies, they don't make a fortunes as getting started and established takes years.

My son and his partner who has a wife now have got mortgages on condo's in Bkk so they can't be doing too bad. 

I only paid for Uni he has not ask for help except when getting the mortgage and l got that back, he knows l don't want any other money from him,  just want him to make sure his mum's OK when l'm no longer about. :thumbsup:

On 4/1/2017 at 1:09 PM, billd766 said:

If you were Thai Bill. a thick wallet would make sure your son passes, but good luck to him anyway.:thumbsup:

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Not sure what you mean, we have always supported his education and as of now my step son has his own business in a partnership in Bkk doing stuff for TV companies, they don't make a fortunes as getting started and established takes years.

My son and his partner who has a wife now have got mortgages on condo's in Bkk so they can't be doing too bad. 

I only paid for Uni he has not ask for help except when getting the mortgage and l got that back, he knows l don't want any other money from him,  just want him to make sure his mum's OK when l'm no longer about. :thumbsup:

You have the right approach. Having been young once and having my father die when I was age 2 I know there were times when I wanted to touch base with a father figure which my stepfather was not. Your son seems to be on the right track but from time to time the confidence tank drops a litre or two and needs outside replenishing. 

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

You have the right approach. Having been young once and having my father die when I was age 2 I know there were times when I wanted to touch base with a father figure which my stepfather was not. Your son seems to be on the right track but from time to time the confidence tank drops a litre or two and needs outside replenishing. 

l guess and sort of think you do not need sympathy,  l did not lose my father until later in life and l still miss my father everyday, and to cut a long story short is what l always say and from my many wives which say, animosity apart they agree on one thing,  l was a good father but a lousy husband.  :crazy: 

On 01/04/2017 at 7:09 PM, Kwasaki said:

Yeah great l was proud when my step son finished Uni with his degree. :thumbsup:

And when they finally came home my wife told me the results wont be know until Tuesday or Wednesday.

My son told me he was quite happy about the exam and for the last 2 weeks they have been in the cramming mode working on old exam papers.

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

Is this a trick question?

No, it's not a trick. As you may know, many Thais complain that foreigners don't smile enough. Some of them they say it makes them uneasy around us.

I find if I make a point of smiling, I have better interactions with Thais. My smile has become more genuine, I think I smile more often now, and I believe I feel happier in general too. Just one of the ways Thailand has rubbed off on me in a good way.