Songkran faces ban! Water throwing set to be a crime this year

rooster59

39 minutes ago, kannot said:

That  bloody powder bakes onto the car in the hot sun and you have to have it cut  out with  cutting paste, no one minds a  bit of  CLEAN water but  buckets of ice and other crap + all the running into the roads to hurl it is sheer stupidity it  also drags on way too long.However as mentioned todays the day

Point well missed.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, realenglish1 said:

Another reason Unelected officials are bad for society  They will such tradition out of the fabric of society 

This indiscriminate dousing of strangers was never a tradition in Thailand, the gentle sprinkling of water as a ceremony on your elders was. I rather suspect that it was foreigners who introduced water wars. Having said that i think it would be a mistake to ban it in areas where people are having fun and going to these places specifically to join in, in front of the bars in Loi Kroh Chiang Mai for instance, let it be a choice. The dangerous dousing of motorbike drivers and cars should be banned of course, my car was once doused by revelers while i was driving at 60 kmh, the steel bucket that the guy was using slipped from his hands and struck my car causing extensive damage and made me swerve and brake, nearly causing an accident, everybody ran away of course leaving me with a damaged car.   

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

It seems that the powers that be has decided to suck the fun out of coming to Thailand for a good time which millions are doing just that, with no sex in Pattaya and no water fight which is the essence of Songkran for many tourists, other restrictions are put in place now that will turn coming to Thailand for a holidays not much better than other boring countries.....

The LOS government seems to want to show off their Ignorance in many ways,cutting off their noses in spite of their face.The water fights bring in many tourist adding to the many that choose to extend their holiday to stay here for it. There are several million tourist that will not be here next year during the months of May and April if this law implemented as they will go home early as it gets hot and no water fight to look forward to,and many more will not choose to come here for the same reason.There will be several of the farangs that live here that will sty now that there is no wild revelry at this time but compare the money loss of millions to the thousand gained and it just doesn't make since.Stupid is as stupid does..

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

It seems that the powers that be has decided to suck the fun out of coming to Thailand for a good time which millions are doing just that, with no sex in Pattaya and no water fight which is the essence of Songkran for many tourists, other restrictions are put in place now that will turn coming to Thailand for a holidays not much better than other boring countries.....

But this is all done to"increase the happiness of the people"

3 hours ago, jaltsc said:

That should be as effective as the alcohol bans, no smoking bans, underage driving bans, helmet laws...OK you get my drift?

"...OK you get my drift?"

Unfortunately you're adrift without an oar.  

Nice One!  If it wasn't April 1st, I would be a lot happier in knowing that I could venture out during the Songkran period.  But, I suppose I'll be stocking the fridge ready for a 2 week sit-in as usual, so as to avoid being another road kill statistic.

Happy Days!

3 hours ago, Songhua said:

All those old foreigners who complained about it every year can now venture out without their raincoats and plastic bags.

And all those drunk idiots can keep throwing water and sh.t and other people.  You need to get slapped silly, it couldn't damage your brain as it seems that you don't have any.

Nobody will take a blind bit of notice around here. Good.

Like everything BKK and this "government" dream up, it will be completely ignored up here. Good.

And just another reason, stacked up on the many previous reasons, why they are so despised up here.

Songkran has become an entire week off for many Thais”.

While this was acceptable for civil servants, poor factory workers were also downing tools and expecting full pay meaning that the economy was suffering as a result

April fools day for sure!  Unfortunately that kind of thinking is expected and all too believable.  Well done on putting this prank story together

I am very disappointed with this, I was going to go to Pattaya for a couple of days, so I could get a punch at Farangs who assaulted me in the street by throwing water at me, I hate these morons, and I felt it was time I had some payback? 

25 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I am very disappointed with this, I was going to go to Pattaya for a couple of days, so I could get a punch at Farangs who assaulted me in the street by throwing water at me, I hate these morons, and I felt it was time I had some payback? 

Good news: you can go ahead with your initial plan, water throwing during Songkhran will not change, only intensify this year. But you might risk to get apprehended for assault if you start punching people.

Edited by Dario
mistake

They should just have special areas for it.  In my village every afternoon of Songkran they fill several barrels with water in our little park, and allow people who want to play between like 3-5 pm to do so.  That way anyone deciding to take part knows that it is contained within the park.  No splashing elsewhere.

1 hour ago, CGW said:

Baht buses though not mentioned will be free service throughout the period! But no wet people will be allowed inboard!

7-11 has met the challenge... the cost of mopping up and people slipping in establishments have come up with free hotdogs and one coke with anyone entering dry during the month of Songkran festival...Police are concerned about Tourists on baht taxis with their Nikon D7 camera and costly cell phones be water logged are allowing use of hairdryers provided at 7-11 stores.

Edited by rotorbreeze

48 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

This indiscriminate dousing of strangers was never a tradition in Thailand, the gentle sprinkling of water as a ceremony on your elders was. I rather suspect that it was foreigners who introduced water wars. Having said that i think it would be a mistake to ban it in areas where people are having fun and going to these places specifically to join in, in front of the bars in Loi Kroh Chiang Mai for instance, let it be a choice. The dangerous dousing of motorbike drivers and cars should be banned of course, my car was once doused by revelers while i was driving at 60 kmh, the steel bucket that the guy was using slipped from his hands and struck my car causing extensive damage and made me swerve and brake, nearly causing an accident, everybody ran away of course leaving me with a damaged car.   

Dont think you can blame foreign tourists for creating Songkran of today.  Have you seen any of TAT's tourism campaigns abroad?  Full moon parties Songkran.  TAT promote it and encourage people to come and act the way they do

14 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Now now possum