Thais call for tougher drink driving penalties in wake of death of "Nong Amway" in Lamphun

rooster59

Thais call for tougher drink driving penalties in wake of death of "Nong Amway" in Lamphun

laws.PNG

Image: Daily News

Thais have questioned the sentences handed down for drink driving in the wake of the death of a 19 year old woman in Lamphun in Thailand's north.

The death of Kamonthip Wanthong - known as "Amway"- has caused an outpouring of grief in the town and online.

She was riding a motorcycle when she was hit by a car driven by 39 year old Udorn Wongana an employee at an electrical firm in Lamphun.

He was drunk with 200 milligrams of alcohol in his blood sample.

But there was worse to come about the case that in some ways mirrored the 2012 case of the red Bull heir "Boss" in Bangkok.

In this latest drink driving case Amway was dragged under the body of Udorn's Toyota for more than one kilometer before he stopped.

Friends went online to praise the memory of Amway saying that she was a pillar of sacrifice in her family. She worked hard in her job selling smartphones so that her younger sibling could attend school and helped her mother gain a better standard of living.

Pictures of the pretty teen taking part in a Miss Lamyai beauty contest were posted online.

But many questioned the current laws and penalties in Thailand for drink driving. And many especially referenced the need for harsher penalties when people not only drink but flee the scene of accidents as happened in this case.

Police in Lamphun said that Udorn will appear in court today (Saturday) charged with four counts namely that of drink driving, negligent driving causing damage, negligent driving causing death and fleeing the scene of an accident.  

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-04-01

Problem is it's all talk no action by the BIB and law makers, stiff rigorously enforced penalties will impact of the hi-so, so we can't go there. 

What an absolute fcuked society when money controls the law and the law makers revel in it. 

I hope he gets a very hefty sentence. 200mg of alcohol? This guy was absolutely wasted, as evidenced by dragging the girl over a kilometer before stopping.

I also hope he gets a very serious kicking, which he most definitely deserves.

11 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Just don't give him bail or he'll be off to London to join the cop-killer.

He isn't even on bail, he has never showed to hear charges believe it or not. Apparently they will issue an arrest warrant if he does not show next time.......

So until then he is free to do as he pleases, cant make it up can u?

Here we go again Thailand hiding behind the drunk driving

issue.

I cant tell the difference between drunk or  sober Driving / Riding in Thailand..

Is everyone drunk 24/7 on the roads. ?  no

So what's going on,   on the roads of Thailand ?

Drunk driving / Riding is an issue .

But its not the big issue,   is it.

Lets  start with Attitude on the roads of drivers and riders.

Attitude of the Police on the roads ,  they can start by doing there job.

Why is the driving / Riding behaviour, accepted by the authorities of Thailand ?

get off your butts and do your jobs.

And stop the needles carnage.

Amazing Thailand. :jap:

RIP to the young lady.

Edited by onemorechang

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

Problem is it's all talk no action by the BIB and law makers, stiff rigorously enforced penalties will impact of the hi-so, so we can't go there. 

What an absolute fcuked society when money controls the law and the law makers revel in it. 

OK ,There will be higher penalties implemented this year  and they will be,, #1,Jail and heavy fines for franges,#2 normal fines and a scolding from the police for normal Thai citizens,#3,More heavy fines for the Hi-Sos and maybe jail time (if of the other political party). Any of these rules can be negotiated through the proper channels. The brown envelope will be handed out to all parties during the initial investigation.

When out on the motorcycle or in the car, I don't drink at all.  I used to have a couple of beers, but after witnessing some horrific accidents caused through drunken driving, I decided to call it a day.  I still see friends getting wasted and driving home, and sometimes wish they would be locked-up and the key thrown away  Not nice to think about friends in that way, but they don't listen to anybody who tries to stop them drinking so much; their choice.

I made my choice, and should I be unlucky enough to be involved in an accident, my conscience will be clear.

Kamonthip Wanthong was only 19 years old, and far too young to die.  About time the rules were implemented 100% to stop the daily carnage that has become part of Thai Culture.

RiP Kamonthip.

in western countries they actually have police out on the roads so that they can pull over anyone breaking the law or looking like they are driving under the influence. Here the police sit in air conditioned offices all day and rarely even leave them unless it is to collect tea money. Maybe if the govt actually made the police patrol the roads it would stop a lot of the deaths but that would mean having to train them to drive correctly(as well as teaching them the road rules and making them follow them) and supplying actual cars instead of the crap trucks they have now. The revenue they would collect if they actually did this would more than make up for all the costs and reduce road deaths as well but it will not happen. Even issuing long jail time and big fines for people caught breaking the law would help but even that will never happen, too many people would lose face

Edited by seajae

8 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

When out on the motorcycle or in the car, I don't drink at all.  I used to have a couple of beers, but after witnessing some horrific accidents caused through drunken driving, I decided to call it a day.  I still see friends getting wasted and driving home, and sometimes wish they would be locked-up and the key thrown away  Not nice to think about friends in that way, but they don't listen to anybody who tries to stop them drinking so much; their choice.

I made my choice, and should I be unlucky enough to be involved in an accident, my conscience will be clear.

Kamonthip Wanthong was only 19 years old, and far too young to die.  About time the rules were implemented 100% to stop the daily carnage that has become part of Thai Culture.

RiP Kamonthip.

BUT IT WILL STILL BE YOUR FAULT IF YOUR A FARANG

There are plenty of Police about when a V.I.P is in town,

posted at the end of every small soi,road and junctions,

as soon as the motorcade passes,they melt away,only

to be seen again at a roadblock they have set up,not

enough Police presence to deter DUI and all other road

offences.like running red lights.

regards worgeordie

7 minutes ago, dieseldave1951 said:

BUT IT WILL STILL BE YOUR FAULT IF YOUR A FARANG

What a stupid comment!  Change the record; that one's been played so many times that it's now available on vinyl, cassette and CD.

15 hours ago, Moti24 said:

What a stupid comment!  Change the record; that one's been played so many times that it's now available on vinyl, cassette and CD.

Actually quite true.  If it is at all possible, the RTP will try to stuff up the foreigner.  More money in it for the RTP scum.

The most horrific part was that the perp dragged the girl under the car for a kilometer before stopping. What if she was alive at the impact and could have been saved?

He must be found guilty on all charges and incarcerated for many years, even if he offers a substantial amount of blood money to the relatives. RIP Amway.

2 hours ago, WhizBang said:

Actually quite true.  If it is at all possible, the RTP will try to stuff up the foreigner.  More money in it for the RTP scum.

You're probably right, but I'm not a capital letter admirer.

I have given up getting angry, everybody in both Thai and Farang society know the issues at hand, the only problem is the Thai's are not educated enough to accept the need for change, or don't want to lose face in changing, well that's the only thing I can see stopping change.

There are countless countries around the world that have drink driving laws, police that are out there enforcing them, and less deaths on the roads, Thailand is not on the list, once again.

What do you get from Thai police, witch hats on the road, the police with their white gloves signalling you to go slow enough so they can see your rego label before waving you on,, what about breathalysers at the same time, or is it just about the money, money, money.

RIP

6 hours ago, Moti24 said:

RiP Kamonthip.

If you do not stop your drunk mates from driving drunk and they kill some one on their way home would you still have a clear conscience?

if the solution is higher penalties.. and the police to catch the folks before accidents happen......

it wouldn't work anywhere....

the problem isn't alcohol or the police or the laws. 

Edited by maewang99

13 hours ago, leeneeds said:

Bring it on,  a new number like article 44, lets call it article 666 , where no amount of money or position can save you from facing the consequences from being drunk behind the wheel.

he should face murder charges

Quick enforcement of stiff penalties along with a public campaign to work on the mindset of the populace can work.  It has worked in other countries.  It doesn't happen overnight either.  Consistent enforcement with continued education is a proven technique to reduce alcohol related motor vehicle accidents and the destructive effect on property, the economy and loss of life.  Thailand needs a TADD campaign and quick.  TADD = Thais Against Drunk/Drink Driving.  The precedent has been set; it only need be applied appropriately in The Land Of Smiles. .