teaching in thailand

1 hour ago, vesparally180 said:

Darren,get yourself a degree if you can hold back and have the time.The degree can be in anything but having one will give you so many more options,more opportunities,better pay and conditions and even the option of working in other countries.Tefl is a money making operation and they are not going to prepare you for working out in the sticks where your patience will be tested to the limit.The apathy and rudeness of many students that I have met is  a real test of patience and endurance yet that is preferable to the sleazy western teachers I have encountered on my long and arduous journey.I do not have a degree and after nearly four long years I'm very close to quitting.

Your journey has nothing to do with the students or the working conditions, it has everything to do with the fact that you do not have a degree and have been working illegally and are now running out of tourist visa options!

1 hour ago, muzmurray said:

Your journey has nothing to do with the students or the working conditions, it has everything to do with the fact that you do not have a degree and have been working illegally and are now running out of tourist visa options!

I'm tired of being in the company of alcoholics,perverts and apathetic students,try it for yourself and as for visa options it is Thailand and there are many options.

A  few off-topic, nasty, troll posts have been removed, but not all.   I suggest you stay on topic.   The teaching forum is for and about teaching.   If you have nothing to contribute, please don't post.  

You can get employment, but most options are going to have you working without a work permit or the proper visa.   You will be required to use one of the 'options' mentioned earlier and you may find yourself going from semi-legal option to semi-legal option to remain in the country.  

There are plenty of good teachers who do not have a degree and plenty with a degree but not in English or education.   There are also plenty of not-so-good teachers.  

8 hours ago, vesparally180 said:

I'm tired of being in the company of alcoholics,perverts and apathetic students,try it for yourself and as for visa options it is Thailand and there are many options.

agree,  most hang out in bars everyday after class, unshaven, and resemble nothing of a professional teacher.

10 hours ago, vesparally180 said:

To be fair, I have been "trying it" for the last 8 years :-)

There are not "many options" visa wise, you MUST have either a Non-B and subsequent extensions or a Non-O and subsequent extensions, these are the only 2 options that allow for a work permit.

On 4/1/2017 at 10:52 PM, Goldbear said:

Good luck. I've never taught but it looks like fun. 

13 hours ago, vesparally180 said:

Tell that to the properly employed teachers who liked teaching and have left because of the shambolic schools and apathetic students,  try for yourself.

Messed up post somehow l referred to 'Goldbear' post.

You seem very disillusioned with teaching in Thai schools surprised you have lasted as long as you have.

l know Thai teachers and western teachers who are happy working in their schools after changing schools, so l guess there not all the same.

As for "  try for yourself. "  long story but l have had a 2 day English teacher career in a Thai school. :laugh:

As mentioned by Jwest, sometimes schools seek someone with a specific accent. In our region, American accents are trendy at the moment and every big school wants one. However, everyone expects you to be able to rap.

• 3 weeks later...

Your post does not sound especially confident. A TEFL is hardly a guarantee of a job, none. The upshot of those jobs after TEFL completion is -at what rate and where? 

Flipside is I personally have zero problem getting 38k+ jobs thrown at me without a TEFL. But surely, with no degree a TEFL is a must. 

Sorry to say you sound like you've no real interest in teaching, education (obviously). So you're just another non degreed middle aged guy in search of a visa and scratch to continue subsisting here. Not high on anyone's list for new hires. No doubt living in broke ass Chaing Mai where your sort has entirely flooded the market for decades.

You lack a degree which is the minimum standard for working legally (generally speaking). Heads up.

By the time you pay for your visa runs and asstd bs you won't even break even on what 95% of schools will pay someone in your situation.

For the kids sake, don't do it.

On 4/3/2017 at 0:54 PM, Stevemercer said:

As mentioned by Jwest, sometimes schools seek someone with a specific accent. In our region, American accents are trendy at the moment and every big school wants one. However, everyone expects you to be able to rap.

Oh really, perhaps you should increase your circle, and your knowledge of everything.

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

Oh really, perhaps you should increase your circle, and your knowledge of everything.

North American accents are preferred. The British find it unnerving, but it's true. When was the last time you heard a middle/working class Thai not in IB school put on a posh accent? Never, yup me too.

Spelling as well, very, very few public school kids spell in British English these days.

Nothing wrong with the Thai developing their own regional English and accents. Whatever comes naturally.

2 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

North American accents are preferred. The British find it unnerving, but it's true. When was the last time you heard a middle/working class Thai not in IB school put on a posh accent? Never, yup me too.

Spelling as well, very, very few public school kids spell in British English these days.

Nothing wrong with the Thai developing their own regional English and accents. Whatever comes naturally.

Well first, don't tell me what I have observed, that's my call.

Second, I don't agree with you.

39 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Go to any school, do a 1 minute rap in 'gansta'-American, and they will give you the teaching job. Thai kids, like kids around the world, are into trends and rap music is trendy in Thai schools at the moment. It's as simple as that.

Dp a Rap in front of one of your classes and you will be feted and celebrated by the whole school as the next 'Thai Idol'.

45 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Well first, don't tell me what I have observed, that's my call.

Second, I don't agree with you.

It's folly to even argue the point but of course this is Thai Visa.

You don't agree with me or don't like empirical facts?

The only reason that British English is even acknowledged outside British IB/Intl schools in Asia is that the vast majority of publishers, certainly the cream are British. The British do an absolutely excellent job of promoting the language replete with pricey tests that measure dubious qualities and distinctions. Credit due. But these publishers now also publish many 'American' books, Cambridge in particular.

But it is patently ridiculous to think that Thai kids model their speech on British English. There is simply zero input save for the boring, stale textbooks we are all stuck with.

Innovative learning, Tedtalks, YouTube and virtually all mainstream cinema is American. Edtech is dominated by the US.

The sun set on the British empire long ago. Deal with it.

32 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Go to any school, do a 1 minute rap in 'gansta'-American, and they will give you the teaching job. Thai kids, like kids around the world, are into trends and rap music is trendy in Thai schools at the moment. It's as simple as that.

Dp a Rap in front of one of your classes and you will be feted and celebrated by the whole school as the next 'Thai Idol'.

What is the educational value in this nonsense? 

95% of rap music is totally inappropriate for the classroom, especially in conservative Thailand.

How does it mesh with 21st century learning skills?

What poor advice, are you serious?

Edumacashun

I think we can do away with the discussion about what accent is preferred.   I've worked in the education field, including recruitment, interviewing and hiring teachers.   There is almost always a Thai admin in the interview and their input is generally based on how well they could understand the person being interviewed.  

Occasionally, there is a preference, but it's usually based more upon how much of a problem previous teacher from that country have caused and even that usually fades and changes with time.   So, if you wish to do yourself and those that follow you a favor, try not to be a problematic employee.  

There are not that many applicants that most schools, with the exception of those that pay a very good wage, can pick or chose what accent they want.  

But, like others, that's my experience.   It's based on quite a few years and a number of schools, but it is still anecdotal and not empirical.

Now, back on topic, please.  

On 4/2/2017 at 9:42 AM, vesparally180 said:

It sounds like you are spending way to much time in the foreign teacher's room

You know that IB is a Swiss organization, right? The IB program is taught in several different languages (English, Spanish, French and Chinese).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

On 4/18/2017 at 8:51 PM, Scott said:

I think we can do away with the discussion about what accent is preferred.   I've worked in the education field, including recruitment, interviewing and hiring teachers.   There is almost always a Thai admin in the interview and their input is generally based on how well they could understand the person being interviewed.  

Occasionally, there is a preference, but it's usually based more upon how much of a problem previous teacher from that country have caused and even that usually fades and changes with time.   So, if you wish to do yourself and those that follow you a favor, try not to be a problematic employee.  

There are not that many applicants that most schools, with the exception of those that pay a very good wage, can pick or chose what accent they want.  

But, like others, that's my experience.   It's based on quite a few years and a number of schools, but it is still anecdotal and not empirical.

Now, back on topic, please.  

Yes. At my school the majority of teachers are British. We have had a few Americans here who have not lasted long due to them being entitled, complaining and not very good at their jobs. Thus there is a desire to avoid Americans although it is not set in stone. If a teacher is good it doesn't and shouldn't matter. 

• 3 weeks later...

Some years back an English co-worker and I were talking to a young Thai English teacher who spoke English fairly well.  We asked her if she preferred British or American English and she was rather surprised to hear that there was a difference between the two.  My friend pointed out that he had an English accent and I had an American one.  Her exact words were: "you sound exactly alike to me!". 

Unless the teacher is from Newcastle or Mississippi most Thai's can't tell what their accent is.

I was a teacher for fourteen years at Thai schools. For a year or so I worked with a guy from Manchester. I could understand about half of what he said. One day, a group of my English Immersion Program students asked me "Can you understand Teacher X ?" When I told them that I could understand half of what he said, they told me that they couldn't understand him at all.

I later worked with another guy from Manchester, and I could understand everything he said. That made me think that the first guy must have been from some small village in the hinterland of Manchester, and realized that no one in Thailand would have ever heard of the place.

As for myself, I was told on several occasions that students and Thai colleagues liked my Canadian accent. I actually think that whatever accent the foreigner may have is not too important, if he speaks slowly, keeps his grammar and vocabulary at an appropriate level for the target audience, writes most of what he says on the whiteboard, and avoids the use of regional slang. 

Archived