Inspire

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, finnman said:

Good lough Anders eller Sven with rainbow colours?

How about you stop reading fake news you islamophobic rascist homophobe

Edited by hobz
Too insulting

1 minute ago, finnman said:

You are right, hejsssan...

I know I am right. I grew up in kista. My mom still has a house in kista and lives there.

I have friends that live there today.

There's been an increase in gang violence. Gang members killing other gang members. The murder rate is still low compared to most countries. 

I propose you go there for yourself. It's not as bad as you think and you will see that quick. Go there just one weekend, there's food from every country in the world and it's awesome.

And stop listening to right wing fake news.

13 hours ago, scorecard said:

Plus never read anything, never listen. Try teaching a class of bachelor degree students:

- Did you read the case study handout? No, but I think it's about xxxxx.

- What did I say in the last 3 minutes? I don't know, why are you so serious professor?

- Previous class, well explained several time plus hand out; next class is final exam, don't be late. Several students 30 - 45 minutes late. Why are you late this was all explained last class and you got a handout. Ohh I didn't know. 

One of my students told me "Teacher our brains are not wired for learning" When I asked her then just what are they wired for ?, her best friend replied with a smirk "Sleeping, Teacher !"

Lack of enforcement of rules (laws). As long as the police only concentrates on "law-enforcement" if a direct financial benefit for them is imminent, no wonder that half of the laws are not beeing enforced.

BUT THERE IS HOPE: The weekly round-up's of thieving Lady-Boys on Beach Road in Pattaya indicates that the cops mean business. I could even imagine, that those LB's will be held for 2 hours at the police station and get fined 125 Bht instead of holding them only for 1 hour and only fine them 100 Bht. As I said, there is hope.

BUT THE MAIN THING IS, that immigration laws are strictly enforced. The rest is not that important.
Cheers.

They follow different rules, ones that are invisible or incomprehensible to many foreigners.

They follow them as diligently as foreigners follow their own rules.

The foreign rules that are ignored by Thais (from the 10 item lane to driving responsibly to human trafficking) are only there for show, to convince foreign visitors, the Western community (and many Thais) that Thailand is not the sort of place that it actually is.

They have no concept of the reasoning behind them or why they should be adhered to.

The ignored rules are actually "copy" rules and are as lacking in integrity or durability as any "copy" product manufactured in Thailand.

There's a lot of that in a world of (give or take) 1.5 billion "true" Westerners and 5.5 billion "others"......who are most definitely not.

Edited by Enoon

Perhaps when they see the top end of town getting away with murder on a daily basis they don't give a rats ass about the consequences of taking fifteen articles through a ten article checkout.

Most likely that woman is a wife of a farang. At Pattaya, You can see those women having farang husband or boyfriend, or mixed kid, are so arrogant.

In fact, I have seen farangs did the same thing at BigC Pattaya, but the cashier not even said a word. I did complain about this to the cashier, she said it is ok so long as the farang paid cash!

Last Saturday, when I was waiting the BTS, a farang was also waiting, but he ignored the queue and stood at the middle of the door. Once, the train arrived, he rushed in!

Thai people love their VIP cards, issued by lots of stores. It wouldn't surprise me if the VIP card allowed use of the fast check out with any amount of groceries.I have seen a VIP card that advertised parking in reserved disabled spots, as one of the advantages.

20 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

That's an easy question.

If you stay long enough in Thailand you will come across a wealth of silly., arbitrary, and petty rules throughout your daily life.

Thais just tend to ignore that nonsense, because why shouldn't they?

After all this is Thailand and they are Thai.

Unfortunately it's not just the nonsense that they ignore and their wrongdoing rarely if ever has any direct bad consequence to themselves.  This ignoring of rules is not down to common sense though,  just ignorance and a lack or regard for others. 

In the Western world there are numerous rules/laws which at times make no sense but ignore them at your peril as the nanny state is watching and will fine you should you dare to apply common sense to the situation.

13 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

It is  inevitable  that  visitors  or  expats will  make  comparative  comment on  what are issues  to themselves  in any  host  country. And  quite possibly many of those  issues  are  also  common  to the  unexpressed  thinking of  the  people of that  host  country. 

There is  nothing  wrong in  the thinking of  what seems  unacceptable but to  express  it as a criticism in a  culture/society that is  not your own is unlikely  to  get genuine appreciation even if  agreed  with.

It  could  be argued conversely that  many Western countries have laws/regulations/conventions that could  be justifiably criticized  but are culturally/socially accepted.

There is  some  validity to the  saying " When in Rome  do as..".

so long as the criticism is a justifiable argument and not simply confirmation bias. I think you've missed the point.

23 hours ago, chrissables said:

Why do people from the west follow every stupid rule like lemmings? Especially victimless rules.

Christ...most rules are made to make life easier and more orderly for everyone...very few victimless rules exist...I suppose you're thinking of drug laws, but even those have consequences...stupid laws in Thailand, such as those that protect the influential (e.g., libel laws) exist, but the OP was talking about things most people with a modicum of intelligence would consider simple manners.

13 hours ago, finnman said:

Like in Germany, Sweden and the other European countries where the Citizens do not have rights any more. Civilized!

I'm sorry if they are not counted as civilized countries anymore. 

Perhaps I should mention US only. 

Cheeeers

1 hour ago, hdkane said:

Christ...most rules are made to make life easier and more orderly for everyone...very few victimless rules exist...I suppose you're thinking of drug laws, but even those have consequences...stupid laws in Thailand, such as those that protect the influential (e.g., libel laws) exist, but the OP was talking about things most people with a modicum of intelligence would consider simple manners.

Nothing about drugs at all.

From my experience there are two types of Thai people.

Ones that are all about themselves, and ones that consider others.

I think I met one that considers others once in about 7 years..

I stopped keeping count of the other category.

5 hours ago, chrissables said:

most people with a modicum of intelligence would consider simple manners.

Most people with a modicum of intelligence would understand that manners are a cultural construct that varies around the world....but first they need to think out of their own little box.

4 minutes ago, Notadoctor said:

Most people with a modicum of intelligence would understand that manners are a cultural construct that varies around the world....but first they need to think out of their own little box.

It was not me who wrote what you are replying to. It was hdkane :) 

8 hours ago, AdamR71 said:

The best thing is not to focus on what other people do. By doing this you are causing your own suffering. It will eat away at you. Enjoy life and don't think about what others do. Study Buddhism!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Knowingly or unknowingly, you just have put a finger on this "National-Problem".

By "not thingking what other people do" leads to Excessive Tolerance.(Buddhism).

Leading to attitudes like:
- If someone runs a red light, no problem, as long as it makes him happy.
- Let the kids do whatever they want, as long it makes them happy. (No education, no discipline).
- Let a cheater and a liar do his cheating and lying, as long as it makes him happy and does not affect me personally.
(I could endlessly continue this list).

This makes it impossible for a Farang, raised in "the West", to mentally integrate in Thailand. Ever.
Cheers.

12 hours ago, Notadoctor said:

so long as the criticism is a justifiable argument and not simply confirmation bias. I think you've missed the point.

Not really. I  think you  are  choosing to  ignore that that I say criticism may be  agreed with by  Thai but that for  cultural/social is  effectively  ignored  or  denied in defense  of  the Thai status  quo as  part of the  same cultural/social norm. That  attitude  is  not  simplistic . It is  based  on ideology often contradictory  to  western. From a  western perspective  it  is  wrong.  From a  Thai perspective  it  is  normal even if  objectionable. In  the  western world the rules may be  perceived as  right  but  people  still find  cause  to  object or  defy .

As  a person from a  western cultural/social background I constantly have  to consider the  compromise. 

9 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Not really. I  think you  are  choosing to  ignore that that I say criticism may be  agreed with by  Thai but that for  cultural/social is  effectively  ignored  or  denied in defense  of  the Thai status  quo as  part of the  same cultural/social norm. That  attitude  is  not  simplistic . It is  based  on ideology often contradictory  to  western. From a  western perspective  it  is  wrong.  From a  Thai perspective  it  is  normal even if  objectionable. In  the  western world the rules may be  perceived as  right  but  people  still find  cause  to  object or  defy .

As  a person from a  western cultural/social background I constantly have  to consider the  compromise. 

you need to climb out of your box.

On 4/3/2017 at 6:53 AM, finnman said:

I believe police chief Peter Springare...

There's no doubt that immigrants are over-represented in crime stats in Sweden. It still does not prove that society is going under or collapsing. Crime rates are still nothing compared to US or other countries.