Australians Living in Issan

crutchy26

st

Hi All. Are you sick & tired of the 'annual pilgrimage' to the Australian Embassy at Bangkok?

Recent 'changes' now include a  proof-of-income for the  stat dec .Which raised the question in a group discussion at the 19th hole (Issan Golf @ KK): If they require proof, why doesn't the AU Embassy provide the same service as the UK Embassy?? Which is, you send your proof & passport to the embassy. They look at the figures AND the UK Embassy provides the Letter-of-Income

But no, Issan dwellers, like myself

1. drive to the KK airpport (which now charges for parking)

2. return flights to BKK

3. return taxi fares (as I am totally non-familiar with public transport) note: If the driver understands your written request. You may also, see Austrian Embassy in your travels!

4.And the current fee for stamping 'said' stat dec is $70!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Then front up to the KK Immigration for their stamp of approval.

As you can see from the attachment, I have had talks with the Au Embassy................. with dismal results. 

So, pretty please:

1. Everyone who lives near-ish Khon Kaen (Chum Pae, Udon Thani, Mukdahan, Chaiyaphum, et al) contact the AU Embassy and plead for a Outreach Visit (the same they provide every 2 months to CM). I am sick of the arduous journey and associated costs!

2. All Ozzies should be sending emails to  the AU Embasssy to get the same service as the UK Embassy. Ie. Letter-of-Income

The email address: [email protected]  

au emb sux.pdf

8 hours ago, malt25 said:

Wouldn't having the prescribed amount of money in the bank solve your problem ?

Just wondering.

Perhaps because they don't have it or don't want to deal with it.

If a person had a choice I would certainly suggest the income method. In my years on this forum I have seen more reports of people having problems with bank letters, balance dropping during the seasoning period for various reasons and etc than income letters.

I use the income option for my extensions. It means a trip to Bangkok but since I can use one that is up to 6 months old it is not hard to schedule the trip when I want to do it or when going there for other reasons.

I do not mind the trip to Bangkok as I use it to do other things, using  public transport to get to the embassy is explained on there website and  $70 is a big increase / when did it go up?      

I'd hardly think having the equivelant of about $15,000 in the bank one would qualify as even moderately wealthy. I survive quite comfortably on the Oz aged pension here & can still scrape up 400,000 baht for Thai bank deposit.

If you can't put your hands on this amount, pity help you in time of an emergency.

The Oz embassy here in my opinion is a joke, I asked them if I could send them in my original birth certificate to have it sealed, I believe they call it Apostille, cost $80.00.

Having had other documents sealed for $25 in the past, it appears as of 1 January 2017 everything has gone up, because since 2000 nothing increased and will have CPI increases annually, ok, no problem, but no you cannot send it in, you have to come in personally, oh ok, then can I get it back the same day because I will have to travel one hour by car to Udon Thani Airport, catch a one hour flight to BKK and then taxi to your embassy, no you have to come back in 3 days, what, for you to verify a signature on the birth certificate that Australia provided me with when I was born some 56 years ago, what, do you have to send it back to Australia.

The same story with Phuket office, however in Sydney Australia they will give it back to me the same day, go figure, fortunately for me I will be in Sydney on the 1st of next month and will get it done there.

It would appear the Australian Embassy here is as Australian government departments that is as they were 50 years ago, slow and unaccommodating, so as I have the time, I will be sending in a letter of complaint due to:

1) Not having a day service for people who live outside of BKK

2) I can understand that they want to see me in person, but no reason given, ( but not being prepared to send it back to me by courier, even if I paid for it, is beyond belief, who in their right mind wants to spend additional money, i.e. 3 nights accommodation in BKK for a simple seal on ones birth certificate which can be done on the spot in Sydney, Australia).

In my letter of complaint I will request an outreach office be set up in Udon Than as its half way between Sakon Nakhon and KK.

Why should Phuket & Chiang Mai be so privileged, no offence intended.

On 4/3/2017 at 11:53 AM, malt25 said:

I'd hardly think having the equivelant of about $15,000 in the bank one would qualify as even moderately wealthy. I survive quite comfortably on the Oz aged pension here & can still scrape up 400,000 baht for Thai bank deposit.

If you can't put your hands on this amount, pity help you in time of an emergency.

When did it become 400,00 baht? I thought it was 800,000 baht for 2 months or 65,000 baht a month.

On 4/3/2017 at 8:29 AM, ubonjoe said:

Perhaps because they don't have it or don't want to deal with it.

If a person had a choice I would certainly suggest the income method. In my years on this forum I have seen more reports of people having problems with bank letters, balance dropping during the seasoning period for various reasons and etc than income letters.

I use the income option for my extensions. It means a trip to Bangkok but since I can use one that is up to 6 months old it is not hard to schedule the trip when I want to do it or when going there for other reasons.

Only valid for 1 month here in Loei

4 hours ago, Patmalone said:

When did it become 400,00 baht? I thought it was 800,000 baht for 2 months or 65,000 baht a month.

800,000 for retirement extension. 400,000 for extension based on marriage.

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I have heard that before about that rogue office. That is not the only strange thing they have come up with.

You could try showing them this directive. Immigration directive for income letters.pdf

The bitch in charge would crucify any one who questioned her requirements, we were one of the first to have the simple bar code for 90 day reports, now back to the old systems with copies of everything, really stupid?

oh well ,,     you know Thailand ....  don't get angry or frustrated in front of her .... and certainly don't raise your voice ...

just smile and agree and make out she's the most important person in the office and hopefully it'll work in your favor.

• 3 weeks later...

The Australian Bangkok Embassy does not require you to back up your Stat Dec with any proof of the income stated in the Stat Dec. Though the Phuket Consular website states that it is required there. Of course Thai Immi might want it, so i have it ready anyway.

i emailed the Bkk Embassy and this was their reply:

" We are able to witness your signature on a statutory declaration in which you declare your income.  From our experience, this is acceptable proof of income by Thai Immigration.  Please note however, we are required to witness your signature in person. There is no requirement to provide us with proof of your income nor to make an appointment to have your documents notarised.  The current cost for witnessing a signature on a statutory declaration is THB1,830  please bring you Australian passport as evidence of your identity."

i don't mind the trip to the Bkk Embassy though it would be good if you could do it by mail. The problem is that being a Stat Dec you need to sign in person in front of the witness. It is interesting what the Brit Emb does, maybe the Aust Emb likes to have visitors rather than a pile of mail! At least they should be able to do a mail back if it can't be done on the spot. An outreach to the NE area is a good idea, 2 or 3 visits would probably be enough. They could cut the visits to Changmai from 6 to 4 to accommodate it! :laugh:

" It is interesting what the Brit Emb does "

How can anyone, embassy or otherwise, witness you signing a document if you are not signing said document in their presence ?

" At least they should be able to do a mail back if it can't be done on the spot. "

It's always done on the spot. Takes about 5 minutes max.

Those who have offered Financial Advice did not put in a Product Disclaimer.

I never said I was married, so some of you are too quick to jump-in with figures, again. 

Most of you are missing the point.

Why do thousands of Australian citizens have to go to Bangkok, on this miserable 'pilgrimage', to obtain a signature on a Stat Dec??

There are alternatives!

The UK Embassy can do 'Letters-of-Income', why not the Australian Embassy????????

Why aren't there more Outreach Visits to the 'larger' cities..............

Archived