Jump to content

Painful Loss - losing sunglasses


Rc2702

Recommended Posts

Dropped my sunglasses on floor the other day and I was painfully reminded of my previous pair.

 

A lovely pair she were too and I remember the proximity and time of when I lost them.

 

Was on a visa run about 2 years back in Georgetown Penang and was wondering round the area and had to cross a Rd but did not see the rail I had to jump over to get back on the path.

 

That jump cost me an extra £200 on that visa run.

 

Took me 3 weeks to find a suitable pair to replace the loss.

 

OK so it's not a great loss but it's got to be up there for expats, losing your beloved sunglasses.  

 

Can you recall your losses and the time it takes to find such an important replacement pair? 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a pair of adidas sunglasses [emoji41], paid about $150 at a duty free 10 or 12 years ago.
Okay, so not so expensive and old !, but they fit me perfectly , I just love 'em.
Over the years have gained a few scratches and knocks so have been relegated to the car, they sit in the cupholder and I wear them pretty much every time i drive.

Anyway, yesterday I took them off and they snapped in the middle !!, the ungrateful bar stewards !![emoji35]
Okay so I haven't treated them with as much care and attention as I should have over the last few years but still there was no need for them to commit suicide right in front of my eyes [emoji102] !!

So, I am in the market for some new ones, but as I have a couple of Sunday best Ray Bans I think I'll just grab a cheap pair from the market to throw in the car .

Well you did ask [emoji51][emoji51]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I have a pair of adidas sunglasses emoji41.png, paid about $150 at a duty free 10 or 12 years ago.
Okay, so not so expensive and old !, but they fit me perfectly , I just love 'em.
Over the years have gained a few scratches and knocks so have been relegated to the car, they sit in the cupholder and I wear them pretty much every time i drive.

Anyway, yesterday I took them off and they snapped in the middle !!, the ungrateful bar stewards !!emoji35.png
Okay so I haven't treated them with as much care and attention as I should have over the last few years but still there was no need for them to commit suicide right in front of my eyes emoji102.png !!

So, I am in the market for some new ones, but as I have a couple of Sunday best Ray Bans I think I'll just grab a cheap pair from the market to throw in the car .

Well you did ask emoji51.pngemoji51.png

You sure about this I mean these adivators sound salvageable and a bit a glue and you may need not worry about sunglasses for another 10 years yet. You could even spice em with your own bit of hacking. Grab a pack of Sugru or formcard and there back in the cup holder.  Great invention the cupholder

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You sure about this I mean these adivators sound salvageable and a bit a glue and you may need not worry about sunglasses for another 10 years yet. You could even spice em with your own bit of hacking. Grab a pack of Sugru or formcard and there back in the cup holder.  Great invention the cupholder

I was gonna tackle em with the superglue but it turns out the gf has tried to use it and it is now an ex superglue !! Looks like she's had it in a vise !!

 

I'll buy some SG tomorrow and give you an update !

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

I Buy mine at the 7/11. Only because I like trying them on and looking at myself in the mirror. Plus during the hot season trying on sunglasses in the 7/11 increases your free air conditioning time.

Do you have mirrors on your ceiling by any chance? Patrick Bateman style perhaps? Minus the chainsaw of course:-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

we sell sunglasses as part of my business and there is a big difference between good and bad quality not necessarily reflected by the price. an easy way to check is to put the sunglasses on and look at a computer screen. rotate you head, the screen should go from dark to light. it is important to be cutting out the harmful part of the light spectrum other wise you are opening the pupils by shading them but letting more UV light in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

we sell sunglasses as part of my business and there is a big difference between good and bad quality not necessarily reflected by the price. an easy way to check is to put the sunglasses on and look at a computer screen. rotate you head, the screen should go from dark to light. it is important to be cutting out the harmful part of the light spectrum other wise you are opening the pupils by shading them but letting more UV light in.

what do we need to look at when buying low cost sunglasses >

 

say in the $10-$20 range

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

you need to make sure they cut out the UV light by the method i just talked about. 20$ should get you polarized sunglasses. will be hard to find them for less than that.

 

That method won't really work. You'd need a UV torch or spectrometer. A money exchange or optical shop might have what's needed.

 

I wouldn't trust the UV protection of cheap sunglasses here at all. The low grade plastic breaks too easily and the fit is poor. I've decided the name brands are, alas, very much worth it. Of course, you won't find those discounted in the shops. Lazada has discounts, however.

 

https://www.quora.com/Is-wearing-unbranded-cheaper-sunglasses-bad-for-the-eyes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

 

That method won't really work. You'd need a UV torch or spectrometer. A money exchange or optical shop might have what's needed.

 

I wouldn't trust the UV protection of cheap sunglasses here at all. The low grade plastic breaks too easily and the fit is poor. I've decided the name brands are, alas, very much worth it. Of course, you won't find those discounted in the shops. Lazada has discounts, however.

 

https://www.quora.com/Is-wearing-unbranded-cheaper-sunglasses-bad-for-the-eyes

it would be nice to check the sunglasses with the correct machine but it is often not possible. checking with a smart phone screen gives a good indication. i have done a comparison of budget sunglasses and high end brand name and it worked very well. it is possible to get good sunglasses for as little as 800thb. thats the cheapest polarized ones we sell which are make especially for water sports.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a lovely pair of those weightless sunglasses that the boys used on the apollo landings on the moon. Their current location is under a wad of stinky mud in a rice paddy somwhere .

 

insurance company did not want to compensate me and tried to put it through their fraud department 

ok so they were about £350 but the insurance company at the time lost both my top end BMW insurance covers plus the house insurance. 

 

Still got paid paid but it took a big fight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My favorite pair for motorcycling are safety glasses, with the bifocals built in to the lenses on the bottom to help these old eyes see the gauges and GPS. Impact resistant, UV protection, and large enough coverage to offer good eye protection from dust, bugs, and road debris, while still looking like sunglasses. I have them in shaded, and clear for nights. Bought them in Canada for about $5, can't find them here in any safety supply shop...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

we sell sunglasses as part of my business and there is a big difference between good and bad quality not necessarily reflected by the price. an easy way to check is to put the sunglasses on and look at a computer screen. rotate you head, the screen should go from dark to light. it is important to be cutting out the harmful part of the light spectrum other wise you are opening the pupils by shading them but letting more UV light in.

I think you're talking about polarized sunglasses which reduce light waves traveling in a horizontal plane, usually a result of light scattering; light bouncing off water etc. A decent pair of regular sunglasses are what is needed to cut down UV light. I use my trusted pair of RayBan Caravans .... 6 years and still haven't lost em !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got 2 pair of genuine Armani aviator at very low price on EBay. I was waiting more than a year for black color of aviator to be on sell on eBay. when I still lived in LA.

One pair of Armani agent style ( very unique black color) that was on sale from Shibuya Tokyo. 

I have no plan to lose or drop non of those. 555

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gold Star said:

My favorite pair for motorcycling are safety glasses, with the bifocals built in to the lenses on the bottom to help these old eyes see the gauges and GPS. Impact resistant, UV protection, and large enough coverage to offer good eye protection from dust, bugs, and road debris, while still looking like sunglasses. I have them in shaded, and clear for nights. Bought them in Canada for about $5, can't find them here in any safety supply shop...

That's what i got,couldn't read the digital gauges.They popped the lens out of some Ray Bans and put the tinted glasses in.Lot more than $5 though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/2/2017 at 10:43 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

I have a pair of adidas sunglasses emoji41.png, paid about $150 at a duty free 10 or 12 years ago.
Okay, so not so expensive and old !, but they fit me perfectly , I just love 'em.
Over the years have gained a few scratches and knocks so have been relegated to the car, they sit in the cupholder and I wear them pretty much every time i drive.

Anyway, yesterday I took them off and they snapped in the middle !!, the ungrateful bar stewards !!emoji35.png
Okay so I haven't treated them with as much care and attention as I should have over the last few years but still there was no need for them to commit suicide right in front of my eyes emoji102.png !!

So, I am in the market for some new ones, but as I have a couple of Sunday best Ray Bans I think I'll just grab a cheap pair from the market to throw in the car .

Well you did ask emoji51.pngemoji51.png

Maybe the cupholder got to much sun??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lemonjelly said:

I think you're talking about polarized sunglasses which reduce light waves traveling in a horizontal plane, usually a result of light scattering; light bouncing off water etc. A decent pair of regular sunglasses are what is needed to cut down UV light. I use my trusted pair of RayBan Caravans .... 6 years and still haven't lost em !

Good on you some guys cannot keep a wife that long. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to pay handsomely for polarized vision-corrected, progressive bifocal, photochromic transitional lenses. When I lost or broke a pair, the replacement process was painful--in time as well as cost. Then I had cataract surgery and find transitional safety glasses do very-well at zero, or much less, cost.  Now, I have three pair--one in the car, one in the bike pouch, and one for travel. I think I paid for one of the pairs; so I can afford all the a/c I want.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I once had a nice pair of Police shades, paid £200 for them in a airport duty free shop (they had been reduced from £280) as soon as I put them on they felt like the best pair ever, so I got them (I have never paid that much for sunglasses in my life) I bought them and loved them, about 6 month later I rented a BiG bike off beach rd Patong, rode off then realized I had left my shades on the seat of another rental bike while faffing about doing the deal... by time I done a lap of the silly one way system and got back there they were gone, amazingly no-one had seen any glasses on a bike seat in the 10 mins I had left them -

 

Lol for months I used to sneak up on this dude to see if he had my police shades on, never did... So I now never pay too much for em But always remember my beloved Police shades - and some dirty lil f acker who had a good day on me a few years ago...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lokie said:

I once had a nice pair of Police shades, paid £200 for them in a airport duty free shop (they had been reduced from £280) as soon as I put them on they felt like the best pair ever, so I got them (I have never paid that much for sunglasses in my life) I bought them and loved them, about 6 month later I rented a BiG bike off beach rd Patong, rode off then realized I had left my shades on the seat of another rental bike while faffing about doing the deal... by time I done a lap of the silly one way system and got back there they were gone, amazingly no-one had seen any glasses on a bike seat in the 10 mins I had left them -

 

Lol for months I used to sneak up on this dude to see if he had my police shades on, never did... So I now never pay too much for em But always remember my beloved Police shades - and some dirty lil f acker who had a good day on me a few years ago...

Case number 1000002 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

you need to make sure they cut out the UV light by the method i just talked about. 20$ should get you polarized sunglasses. will be hard to find them for less than that.

I order mine from zenni.  They deliver in about 10 days direct to the palace in Thailand.  Prescription with tint less than $20. ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My glasses are Rayban - Light Ray and I'm happy with them. Personally I think a good pair of sunglasses is as important as a good mattress, when you in the sun. I mislaid them once for an hour. Went back to shop and they were waiting for me behind the counter safe and sound

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.





×
×
  • Create New...