SONGKRAN 2017 ROAD TOLL - More or less than 2016 ? How many killed in 2017 ?

amjamj

Hello,

Do you think that this year 2017 Songkran week will be safer ?

Songkran 2016 = 442 Killed in 7 Days

Day Deaths Injuries Accidents
Monday, April 11 52 431 387
Tuesday, April 12 64 550 520
Wednesday, April 13 65 796 754
Thursday, April 14 78 601 555
Friday, April 15 79 513 508
Saturday, April 16 59 380 380
Sunday, April 17 45 385 343
TOTAL 442 3,656

What about this year, now that happiness has been brought back ?

Ban the water throwing, it will make no difference whatsoever.

People will throw water regardless of what the government says.

How many Thais take notice of wearing helmets on motorbikes, not many.

So tell them not to throw water at songkran, they will do it anyway. 

What's the problem here?  Have you compared the number of deaths that are caused by road accidents in a normal week over Thailand?

Such a small amount.  Take the risk and face the consequences.  If you want to be safe, just lock yourself in your house... oh, no wait, most accidents and deaths happen at home!

Increase of 2-5%.

There are a number of unfinished road projects that are not secured. For example, in Hua Hin , the road works out by Raja Park and towards the Pines Army facility are death ways with few warning signs and no barriers. Lots of mud & sand on road.

No, I do not believe there will be any noticeable difference. To understand my rational all you need is a simple calculation.

Divide 442 (the number of deaths last year) by 7 (the number of days) The result is around 63. Which is just about the same as Thailand's daily death rate throughout the rest of the year.

And it's been the same for the last 6 holidays that I have been observing  these campaigns.

And the reason for this is glaringly obvious. Most of these deaths are motorcyclists on rural roads in and around the villages. The police mount their campaigns on the major highways. They're in the wrong place and looking the wrong way.

There are more cars and more cycles than ever before. Couple that with speeding; no lights at night and the throwing of water on moving cars and motorcycles leads to accidents and deaths. If they ban the throwing of water on cars/cycles on major roads like they said- it may show minor improvement. It is not the drinkling per se that is the culprit- Thais drive way too fast all the time.

14 hours ago, eeyang wah said:

Come on Thailand you can reach 500 this year!

Come on Thai Visa, let's have a score board that automatically updates every reported accident and death in real time.   Plenty of room up at the top of the page 

We need something to do as we hunker in our bunkers safe from the mayhem

If this was Vegas we could bet on it  

I would like to see this as the first line of the obligatory Songkran death count story.  "XXXX traffic deaths occurred during the 5 day Songkran holiday period compared to XXXX deaths during the same 5 day period the previous week."  

I think 50 people are being killed or seriously injured every day in Thailand so Songkran is nothing special . 

Edited by balo

On 4/4/2017 at 4:14 PM, kannot said:

I dont care  let them slaughter themselves as  long as I stay on my land Im safe

I'm flying to Cambodia, turns out I need a Visa anyway, might as well spend a week till the madness subsides.............Draft Anchor Beer on the Bassac River appeals to me...............:smile:

Edited by TunnelRat69

On 4/5/2017 at 10:24 AM, Langsuan Man said:

Come on Thai Visa, let's have a score board that automatically updates every reported accident and death in real time.   Plenty of room up at the top of the page 

We need something to do as we hunker in our bunkers safe from the mayhem

If this was Vegas we could bet on it  

Yes it would be more useful than tings as 

The Forum is not protected by ssl. A little bit better, sorry for any inconvenience caused throughout the day whilst we fixed all the links.   TD

when 90% people don't even know what is SSL and don't care any of this useless notices.

Why are you folks so fixated on this? Life that boring for you?

The US has "Avoid the 13" program from Christmas to New Year. I never in my life sat around and wondered how many deaths, accidents and drunk driving arrests there would be nor did I ever know anybody that did.  Seems really weird. 

2 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Why are you folks so fixated on this? Life that boring for you?

The US has "Avoid the 13" program from Christmas to New Year. I never in my life sat around and wondered how many deaths, accidents and drunk driving arrests there would be nor did I ever know anybody that did.  Seems really weird. 

Probably because it isn't a blood sport in the US because the DUI / DWI laws are enforced

Here in Thailand we are bombarded every holiday with the pronouncements from the government that "this year will be different" yet those of who have been here know that it is same, same, but different

The US has "Avoid the 13" program from Christmas to New Year

Do the local newspapers publish the number of deaths and injuries on a daily basis, I think not, here we see it everyday, and the media even gives us the TY versus LY stats, like an accounting firm does when reporting business expenses and profits

1 minute ago, Langsuan Man said:

Probably because it isn't a blood sport in the US because the DUI / DWI laws are enforced

Here in Thailand we are bombarded every holiday with the pronouncements from the government that "this year will be different" yet those of who have been here know that it is same, same, but different

Do the local newspapers publish the number of deaths and injuries on a daily basis, I think not, here we see it everyday, and the media even gives us the TY versus LY stats, like an accounting firm does when reporting business expenses and profits

Simple answer, Don't watch the news and do not read the paper. I don't. Whats the point? I have better things I can be off doing then wondering if the number will be lower or higher or taking bets etc. . People are people, they will do what they do. Even with strict laws, more fines etc people will get stupid thinking it will not happen to them, happens in the US every single day by the thousands. 

And Yes in the US they do a recap of what happens during the 13. I never read it. Why? Like here not much I am going to do to change it. I do my part and do not drink and drive.