Complete newbie looking for advice

I encourage you to spend reading this forum for the next couple of months, then living

in Thailand 6 months before making any large financial commitments to Thailand.

All the information you need and exceptionally helpful people here. Of course a few

wingers and chicken little's. That said everyone has varied good and bad experiences

and you can learn from all of them. One thing is for certain. All you need to know can

be found here on this site. Either already written about or people can answer your

question. Best of luck and enjoy Thailand.

• Like 1

If you want virtual certainty on the visa issues, that is available (for a price) visa the Thailand Elite program. Given the cost, that is not an impulse decision. Other options available to you involve different levels of hassle and risk.

Do not put money into land and house in Thailand you are unwilling to write off. There is a good chance you will have to do so.

• Like 1

I encourage you to spend reading this forum for the next couple of months, then living
in Thailand 6 months before making any large financial commitments to Thailand.
All the information you need and exceptionally helpful people here. Of course a few
wingers and chicken little's. That said everyone has varied good and bad experiences
and you can learn from all of them. One thing is for certain. All you need to know can
be found here on this site. Either already written about or people can answer your
question. Best of luck and enjoy Thailand.

Sounds advice, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

22 hours ago, rhodie said:

Csabo, if you read the OP's first post you will see that he contacted the Australian Embassy and they informed him that he could get an METV as he is there on a valid visa.

Rhodie, if you read the OP's first post you will see that he didn't say what you claim at all.  He claimed to get misleading information in this quote "Having spoken to the consulate it seems the maximum Visa I can get from Oz is six months. That said a different person at the consulate told me I can get one year."  Now you have got one step further and perpetuated an unsubstantiated claim with no evidence.  You can PM your apology to save face if you like.

3 hours ago, csabo said:

Rhodie, if you read the OP's first post you will see that he didn't say what you claim at all.  He claimed to get misleading information in this quote "Having spoken to the consulate it seems the maximum Visa I can get from Oz is six months. That said a different person at the consulate told me I can get one year."  Now you have got one step further and perpetuated an unsubstantiated claim with no evidence.  You can PM your apology to save face if you like.

Ok, you can ignore the advice if you want but search and you will find other foreigners have got 6 month METV's in Australia when on valid visas. PM UbonJoe and he will confirm. Not sure why you are so hostile. :)

On 4/4/2017 at 9:29 AM, rhodie said:

The problem you have is that you can only really apply for a METV to get up to 9 months as mentioned. And that means leaving the country twice in those 9 months.  After that you will either need to go to a neighboring country for a SETV multiple times to get up to 3 months each stay or return to your native country to get another METV. But, you can't get too many of these from 1 place. At 46/47 you would need a lot of these. If money is no problem, get a Thai elite visa for 500,000 baht and have 5 years before you need to worry, and by then you will qualify for a retirement visa. Good luck.

Elite Visa appears a tad expensive on the surface (around $14,500 using todays exchange rate) - looks like about 270 baht a day for five years,  don't have the brainpower tonight to figure out how much each visa extension over a five year period will cost, plus travel in/out of country, hotels, food, taxi's to from consulates/airports, bus stations etc etc  etc, so might work out cheaper after all.  :post-4641-1156694005:

• Like 1

Just now, TunnelRat69 said:

Elite Visa appears a tad expensive on the surface (around $14,500 using todays exchange rate) - looks like about 270 baht a day for five years,  don't have the brainpower tonight to figure out how much each visa extension over a five year period will cost, plus travel in/out of country, hotels, food, taxi's to from consulates/airports, bus stations etc etc  etc, so might work out cheaper after all.  :post-4641-1156694005:

.............didn't factor in "What if the Visa rules change in a few years and they offer a one year Visa for $135 like Vietnam".............:smile:  you never know.................??

10 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

You are right, in that it is not cheap, but if you have money to burn, it sure bypasses a mountain of BS to contend with in those 5 years.

On 4/4/2017 at 2:21 PM, lordblackader said:

He's in Australia on a visa, he can apply for one there. Australia is the exception to the rule on METVs as they'll allow anyone in the country on a proper visa to apply, not just residents/ citizens.

On 4/4/2017 at 3:42 PM, csabo said:

Third time I've heard that with no evidence.  If you have some please to post it.  Thank you in advance.

Here is one from the long METV topic. There are others on pages after this one.