Today is D-Day as police get tough on seatbelts and sitting in the back of pick-ups

webfact

Double  Dip  scenario! Previous  announcment that  water throwing  was  banned. Now during Songkran  an exception is  made  for people  riding in the back of  pickups  (presumably  not throwing  water ).

But once  Songkran  has  past  what happens  for the  scores of  pickups  transporting   children to  school or casual workers? 

As things  currently  exist  this  edict  can be  nothing  more than  licence  to  selectively  collect  revenue. But  nothing  wrong  with  the principle.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Totally agree with you, Tuktuktuk. One of the first forms of 'culture shock' I experienced when I came to Thailand was to see little toddlers of only 2 years of age precariously and recklessly perched - without any head protection - on their mothers' lap, or between their mothers' legs, as the mothers drove their motorbike along a busy Bangkok road. Of course I now know that this is totally standard - happens every minute of every day here. But I am still shocked and appalled by it. Are the mothers (and fathers) just plain stupid? Have they had a lobotomy?  - Or do they feel less love and concern for their kids than we do for ours?

Sadly, I fear it is the former - although it could of course be a combination of the two ...

They love their children just like we do.  They just have a different view of risk/reward than we do.  People in the US tolerate risks that people in many European countries won't tolerate.

13 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Its a start in the right direction, but before you go on suggesting that they hit farmers and labourers and the hike hard, mate, have you ever lived in the bush, these people are doing it hard enough and your suggestion to hit them even harder goes to show your lack of empathy.

Education is the key, as the report said, initially 100 baht fine so as to get the message out there, these people have limited incomes I see their struggle daily, they will conform, everything takes time, but for your information, most don't own cars where I come from, hence the reason most are in the back of pick up trucks, as for the labourers, well hit the source between the eyes, i.e. the driver because he is getting paid for the shuttle isn't he, the labourer just wants to make a quid and the only way he is going to make that is to be at the pick up point.

I applaud the Thai government for finally taking the stance and trying to bring their people in line with most of the rest of the world, just hope their force keeps it going, because I know one thing, after Songkran they will want to take a break because they will have been very very busy, I hope spreading the word and saving lives.

Agree. What worries me is why the government had to finally take this up. Why haven't the police been active to bring all that's happening today into being and locked into place at least 15 years ago.  Most of this was law and very seriously enforced 25 even 35 years ago in 90% of developed countries.

Bottom line - I'm just hoping for the day when the general explodes in terms of the lack of achievement, the number of scandals, the lack of professionalism, lack of action by the seniors of the RTP and removes them all replaced by senior intelligent competent achievement oriented military officers.  Soon, please!

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Sorry but you really do not understand the Thai way of doing things, they have family in the back of there old trucks (pick-ups) because they can't afford a coach.

So it's goodbye to baht buses (songtels) then.

Yes, I do understand. But I'm not responding to these specific things. I'm responding to the people here who make it sound like enforcing such laws is a bad idea in general. I'm discussing the general topic of enforcing seat belts, not the specific way it might affect Thais.

1 minute ago, weejun said:

Yes, I do understand. But I'm not responding to these specific things. I'm responding to the people here who make it sound like enforcing such laws is a bad idea in general. I'm discussing the general topic of enforcing seat belts, not the specific way it might affect Thais.

Agree, and yes it's true that often pick-ups are loaded with people because it's their only affordable transport. 

But in the big scheme of thinks it's the governments responsibility to work out policies and infrastructure / resources etc., to meet these challenges and to massively improve road safety and reduce the road toll.

Other governments have done it, so any government can do it. I'm not claiming to be an expert on this but I have three quick thoughts:

-  Subsidized transport.

-  General education which should have been upgraded massively decades ago to give a lot more Thai people the capabilities to gain a better quality of life and reduce the overall large numbers of poor people.  

- Overhaul of police processes and activities to more productively monitor errant drivers and catch many more and more serious punishment. This of course means some drivers caught will be poor. What should the police do? Not fine them? Well that would be compassionate but it also means they will do it again tomorrow and overall the road toll doesn't go down.

Back to what comes first the chicken or the egg?

1 hour ago, tuktuktuk said:

They love their children just like we do.  They just have a different view of risk/reward than we do.  People in the US tolerate risks that people in many European countries won't tolerate.

Exactly, my daughter was allowed by her Thai mother to ride a motorcycle at 11 years old. I  was totally opposed to this idea, however, the only way i could have stopped it was to physically interfere with both of them...Sometimes you have to choose your battles, this one i wasnt gonna win. But i can garantee you my wife loves our daughter as much as i do,  and she is not stupid, actually very well educated..

1 hour ago, weejun said:

Thankyou so you just confirmed you don't understand.

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Thankyou so you just confirmed you don't understand.

What is it that I don't understand, though? I already told you I'm not talking about how this will affect Thais. I'm talking about the general principle of enforcing traffic laws, specifically on seat belts.

7 hours ago, weejun said:

What is it that I don't understand, though? I already told you I'm not talking about how this will affect Thais. I'm talking about the general principle of enforcing traffic laws, specifically on seat belts.

l agree with you on seat belt and the safety issues especially in places like Bkk.

l have to say l feel sorry for the many poor as these measures will hit them on a happy time when they pile in the back of there old trucks to go markets etc.

l hope it is not enforced in rural areas.

According to a news report there is a get out cause stating you can sit the back if you are transporting farm produce, so give em a pile melons or cucumbers to sit amongst. :biggrin:

I wish the police would get tough on the following.

Motorbikes on the pavement.

Speeding

People jumping red lights.

Those driving whilst on their phones.

Tailgating.

Drink driving

Cars going the wrong way on the road

Crime

Oh I forgot they all had campaigns to get tough. They lasted a few days and then back to normal. Please excuse my cynicism.

How do you suggest they/we do that? As 99% of extended cab pickups do not have approved rear seat belt securing points you think I just drill a couple of strategically located holes and bolt some sort of generic belt in. Yep that'll work in your dreams - not mine!

You need to learn when people are being sarcastic and not to take everything literally.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It seems  that  exodus   to  the  rural areas  has  already started with a steady flow  of  traffic  primarily  in  one direction.

The  only  significant thing  I have  noted  is  that  very few  of  the  Pickup  vehicles  have  passengers in the  back!

And strangely  nor  are there refrigerators, motorbikes, or  general  household  items  as  usual.

I am starting to  wonder if  the  owners/drivers  of these  vehicles  are  actually  grateful  that the  usual  horde  of  free load  passengers  and  their free freighted  goods  are   sufficiently   afraid  of  being financially liable  for infringing  a  very  justifiable   regulation?

ridiculous first worry about motorbike helmets but of course even this cannot be done... what is a songtaew?  but of course will not be banned... do you think they will fine the trucks with cambodian labnor on the back... i think not... this only hurts the poor its bullshit

As far as I know, here in Virginia (USA), it's still legal to ride in the back of a pickup truck if you are 16 years of age or more.   How else is one supposed to haul a bunch of Mexican (Salvadorean, Guatemalan, etc.) day laborers to a job site?

When I was stopped for not wearing a seatbelt I told them someone broke into my car and the only thing they took was the seatbelt. They told me I was so stupid I could go and they let me go. 

On 4/5/2017 at 5:25 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Apologies there mate, I misread your post, I thought you were having a go.

Thanks for pointing that out, it would appear a fair few people misread it as I got a fair few likes.

I see where your coming from now.

Cheers

No worries mate, not my finest work of literature for sure.

On 05/04/2017 at 10:36 AM, brain150 said:

Just a simple question:

What if I don't want to be safe in my own car ?

I don't harm anybody, I don't do anything to anybody else, there is no damage to anybody else.

Can I not simply decide for myself what is good for me ?

Wearing a seat belt doesn't make traffic any safer ... [just like wearing a helmet or not]

Eating broccoli is also good for me ... when does this law come ?

Exercising is also good ... where is the law ?

Sleeping early is also good for me ... where is the law ?

PS:

I doubt that most people even understand the whole point of this question.

When you go through a windscreen brain,and are laying in hospital braindead,hopefully you have insurance.When that runs out,you are a burdon on the taxpayers of Thailand,plus your family or whoever wipes your arse everyday.All because you didn't want to be safe in your own car.Very selfish thinking.

On 05/04/2017 at 10:12 PM, Miaow said:

Exactly, my daughter was allowed by her Thai mother to ride a motorcycle at 11 years old. I  was totally opposed to this idea, however, the only way i could have stopped it was to physically interfere with both of them...Sometimes you have to choose your battles, this one i wasnt gonna win. But i can garantee you my wife loves our daughter as much as i do,  and she is not stupid, actually very well educated..

Many parents in my village wish they weren't so weak in giving in to their sons demands.Too late when they're dead.

Many parents in my village wish they weren't so weak in giving in to their sons demands.Too late when they're dead.

My wife isnt weak in giving in our daughters demands, quite the opposite actually. Its just what i refer to as one amongst many " cultural differences' when it involves seatbelts and riding in back of pick up trucks, or wearing helmets etc... Completely different mentality.. It wont change overnight. However, education can slowly make its way and change for the best their approach on road safety. Believe me, been working hard at it...

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 05/04/2017 at 4:11 PM, brain150 said:

So, you don't want to be free because you can not see others to be free.

You cannot be responsible because you will not grant it to others.

You want to be a slave to keep your moral high-ground and at the same time you have to enslave yourself.

You are just stupidly repeating Government Propaganda without ever thinking about it.

Who gave you or others like you the authority to rise above others by telling them what's good for them ?

You have to expect that there are people that think the same about you ... and they will use the same argument you use against you !!!

Ba careful what you wish for.

It's called common sense,sadly not that common.

14 minutes ago, Miaow said:

My wife isnt weak in giving in our daughters demands, quite the opposite actually. Its just what i refer to as one amongst many " cultural differences' when it involves seatbelts and riding in back of pick up trucks, or wearing helmets etc... Completely different mentality.. It wont change overnight. However, education can slowly make its way and change for the best their approach on road safety. Believe me, been working hard at it...

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The mentality is different because of lack education.I afraid your wife and you are weak,allowing an 11 year old on a bike.Many parents want to be friends with children and will not confront them,big mistake.Parents must set boundaries and expect to wear the flak.It will help the kids in latter life.Kids play parents off each other and you have been played by an 11 year old.

On 05/04/2017 at 5:37 PM, Miaow said:

Exactly, there is such a fine line bewteen freedom/democracy and chaos/ anarchy.....My question is WHO gets to decide where it should be drawn....

You can't really force your friend to buckle up, although you can strongly advise against....

Buckle up or walk,your choice.Never fails.

On 05/04/2017 at 6:44 PM, tuktuktuk said:

Let's face it, Thailand's not ready for a modern approach to safety.  You see it everywhere, not just with vehicles.  I feel a chill run down my spine every time I see someone riding a motorcycle while wearing flip-flops.  What about babies sitting in mom or dad's lap on a motorcycle?  We bought a car seat for my wife's granddaughter.  Her mom and dad used it once and decided to leave it behind since the baby didn't seem to like it.

Worse is child standing between parants with rear parent holding on to the ankles.That'll work.

7 hours ago, louse1953 said:

When you go through a windscreen brain,and are laying in hospital braindead,hopefully you have insurance.When that runs out,you are a burdon on the taxpayers of Thailand,plus your family or whoever wipes your arse everyday.All because you didn't want to be safe in your own car.Very selfish thinking.

And  that is  only the  half of it. Those that get  launched  through the  windscreen often become  the unavoidable projectile  that impacts  an oncoming  vehicle creating  a cloned  scene of  death and  destruction. 

" D-Day as police get tough on seat-belts and sitting in the back of pick-ups."  ??

Sorry to break in on the bickering,  l was looking at a truck yesterday with 4 doors of such the ones with a rear opening doors with opposite opening,  some on here must have one.

( l remember them being called suicide doors )  anyway there was a nice comfy seat behind driver & passenger,  personally if it was fitted with seat-belts l could this as a solution to there on-coming fate.

19 hours ago, louse1953 said:

Buckle up or walk,your choice.Never fails.

Exactly, and this is what my adult Thai son did with 2 or 3 old aunties etc.

He argued with them at first then set his rule 'buckle up or get out' and no further discussion.

He actually did put 2 old aunties out at a bus station. After that nobody argues with him. 

Its a start in the right direction, but before you go on suggesting that they hit farmers and labourers and the hike hard, mate, have you ever lived in the bush, these people are doing it hard enough and your suggestion to hit them even harder goes to show your lack of empathy.

Education is the key, as the report said, initially 100 baht fine so as to get the message out there, these people have limited incomes I see their struggle daily, they will conform, everything takes time, but for your information, most don't own cars where I come from, hence the reason most are in the back of pick up trucks, as for the labourers, well hit the source between the eyes, i.e. the driver because he is getting paid for the shuttle isn't he, the labourer just wants to make a quid and the only way he is going to make that is to be at the pick up point.

I applaud the Thai government for finally taking the stance and trying to bring their people in line with most of the rest of the world, just hope their force keeps it going, because I know one thing, after Songkran they will want to take a break because they will have been very very busy, I hope spreading the word and saving lives.

I agree this is a useful measure, however, they are as usual going after the poor and defenceless. No measures have, or will, be taken against the Benz drivers doing 240km/h and actually causing the accidents.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived