Moving to Thailand - ship stuff or buy new

kunfish

Reading all these posts about poor quality tools in Thailand makes me think about opening up a decent supply outlet, haha

Fill a container of sears craftsman tool and away you go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, kunfish said:

Wife and I will be back next year suitcases full and bring over as much stuff as possible for first step. I want to bring a lot of things like instant espresso and other things we can stock up on for long term use

Some information to consider, The Thai immigration has ordered new Xray machines to start to control what people mule in to Thailand. They know people are bringing in items that should have duty on it and will likely impose that starting next year as I read. I used to bring over 4 bottles of "Spirits" (1 in each suitcase) as I knew they felt each suitcase belonged to a different person. That will likely end.

used newer furniture and we'll have 2 years to shop for that and look for a good deal (we don't mind gently used as a lot of Americans often update their furniture and you can find deals at a fraction of the cost. That, coupled with the bed we want to bring...

^Bingo Kunfish. Its amazing what Americans part with for pennies on the dollar. My wife and I went to some estate sales and some furniture was in rooms that were 100% for show and never ever used.(Some even had the wrapping on them). The people lost their home and had to dump their furnishings.  They paid $10,000 and sold for $1500. There are some incredible deals out there and top quality stuff. 

We could stuff that container to the gills for stuff or sell to friends that we cheaper in America. If we could find a way to make money from the move to offset shipping costs, that would be great.

Another Bingo. We did that for people that wanted things. Load it up. There are many ways to skin a cat as they say. Your Thai wife is smart, she can make some money on the deal for sure. 5555

Brought with me - tools to fix cars and bikes, Makita cordless set.

Because I had bought and paid for them already, and they fit in a suitcase.

Shop and carport 3 times the size of the house.

Live outside now, beside the garden, only go inside to shower and sleep.

Another Bingo. We did that for people that wanted things. Load it up. There are many ways to skin a cat as they say. Your Thai wife is smart, she can make some money on the deal for sure. 5555

Yeah my wife is smart. Too smart. And the 6th sense. Can't get anything by her. I suppose my fate was to need someone like that.

Yeah. Would love to make money on the deal. Ben checking prices at tops food. I can pick up a case or peanut butter and sell for half of what they sell here.

Will have to carefully orchestrate the exercise. For us we may not live in wife's house but buy something bigger with more room and more will need more room.

Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful.

Brought with me - tools to fix cars and bikes, Makita cordless set.
Because I had bought and paid for them already, and they fit in a suitcase.
Shop and carport 3 times the size of the house.
Live outside now, beside the garden, only go inside to shower and sleep.

Mosquito nets?

10 minutes ago, kunfish said:

Yeah my wife is smart. Too smart. And the 6th sense. Can't get anything by her. I suppose my fate was to need someone like that.

Yeah. Would love to make money on the deal. Ben checking prices at tops food. I can pick up a case or peanut butter and sell for half of what they sell here.

Will have to carefully orchestrate the exercise. For us we may not live in wife's house but buy something bigger with more room and more will need more room.

Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful.

555. Same with my wife. She became quite enterprising knowing she had that 1 time no duty tax deal. Just make sure all looks used....you know (well our wives know).:smile: