Moving to Thailand - ship stuff or buy new

kunfish

Wife and I are looking at moving to Thailand in next two years. She's Thai, has a house here, I'm at early retirement age, yada yada.

I'm questioning whether its worth it to ship stuff by container or buy new here. A container would be up to 5k door to door for a 40 footer maybe.

Honestly, I have stuff back home, but I'm not a person who is into material things and just have average quality stuff that we own.

Looking around the stores here, you can pretty much get everything you need. Some stuff might be more expensive, but considering shipping costs...and less hassle...

The only thing that I really love is my Casper bed back home. However, I'm sure I can get something just as nice here for around 1k or a little more.

How did you decide whether to ship or buy all new? Honestly, I could just pack a suitcase and sell my house and everything in it and move on over and start all over.

Anyway, enjoying this 5th trip to Thailand. Wife is more irritated due to being Americanized a little bit after 3 years in America. Esp. When driving. American are irritating people!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen a few people ship house hold items over here ( most from England ) a lot of content's broken , then the hassle at port of arrival , document wise , ,my advice would be leave all except family photo's , buy new here ,

I have seen a few people ship house hold items over here ( most from England ) a lot of content's broken , then the hassle at port of arrival , document wise , ,my advice would be leave all except family photo's , buy new here ,

Yeah that's my thinking. Thanks and confirmed my suspicions. 4-5k can go a long way here.

Don't know what a "Casper bed" is, but a decent mattress will run baht 10,000 up to way out of sight baht 40,000.

"The only thing that I really love is my Casper bed back home. However, I'm sure I can get something just as nice here for around 1k or a little more."

If you're really not much attached to the goodies in your U.S. place, have a nice yard sale and replace here.

"When driving. American are irritating people!"  Done much driving here in Thailand??

Mac

Don't know what a "Casper bed" is, but a decent mattress will run baht 10,000 up to way out of sight baht 40,000.

"The only thing that I really love is my Casper bed back home. However, I'm sure I can get something just as nice here for around 1k or a little more."

If you're really not much attached to the goodies in your U.S. place, have a nice yard sale and replace here.

"When driving. American are irritating people!"  Done much driving here in Thailand??

Mac

Thanks Casper bed is super soft and firm. Expensive but well worth it. New company in America.

Americans get hacked off about everything. They are eaten alive by everyday irritations.

Like America it seems pickup drivers drive with impunity. They are aggregating.

It is what it is

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am from the US also,

Most electrical will not work in Thailand anyway so 5 K and the money you will make selling the other stuff in the US will buy you a lot in Thailand  and you will not have the aggravation with packing, shipping and clearing customs in Thailand. Also you will have fun shopping for new stuff.

Out with the old in with the new Buy in Thailand.

I originally brought out, from UK that is, a small container and although most of the items could have been purchase here in Thailand at a cheaper price the quality here is seriously lacking. The especially applies to locally manufacture electrical goods, so if you want quality bring out the items otherwise except what you can buy here may not last as it would in the USA.

I am from the US also,
Most electrical will not work in Thailand anyway so 5 K and the money you will make selling the other stuff in the US will buy you a lot in Thailand  and you will not have the aggravation with packing, shipping and clearing customs in Thailand. Also you will have fun shopping for new stuff.
Out with the old in with the new Buy in Thailand.

I thought you can buy converters for the electrical devices.

We do have some nice appliances like a professional level blender and mixer but could replace here.

Wind is Thai so shouldn't have a problem with customs for the one time move.

I am an American who shipped stuff from the US (Thai wife, early retirement, etc.).  I think the decision to ship vs. buy here depends largely on lifestyle.  If you plan to have a house and some property to maintain here or have hobbies involving working with materials or gardening, I recommend you ship (non-heavy-motor-electrical) stuff if you have used it in the US.  As mentioned above, most tools and hardware here are of lesser quality and won't perform or wear like you are accustomed .  If you have saved hardware items (nuts, bolts, screws, fixtures, etc.) for odd-jobs around the house or for use on machinery, those are of real value over her as well,  Hand tools of all types with good solid hard-wood handles and solid attachment are also at a premium over here.  Again, it depends on what you do with your time and what your lifestyle is.

29 minutes ago, kunfish said:

I thought you can buy converters for the electrical devices.

We do have some nice appliances like a professional level blender and mixer but could replace here.

Wind is Thai so shouldn't have a problem with customs for the one time move.

When moving here, I brought too many things. 
Just Summer clothes, and limited winter clothes for an occasional holiday would have done.
And of course collectibles and antiques if you are attached to those.

Using appliances with a 110-220 converter is a pain. the converter takes space and the last thing one (with professional equipment and I) wants is a cluttered working surface in the kitchen.
As for quality of local appliances, many appliances the world over are made in China, Vietnam, Thailand etc., so I do not support the argument that the quality here were below par.

If crockery is your thing, that is an item that is not highly valued, and thus sparsely available. 
Melamine is plentiful and a good alternative, kind of acceptable looking, almost unbreakable and cheap to replace.

Furniture here is quite good. As in your home country, you get what you pay for.
My dining table is made of seven centimeter thick hardwood and costed some money. But I am sure that in the US a similar item, if available, is more expensive.
Beds, cabinets, showcases, bookshelves, fitted kitchens are available in hardwood or other materials that ants don't eat like modern plastic covered materials.

Good luck with the garage sale.

Edited by KKr

By shipping your stuff, you are probably pretty much buying it again, for the expense involved. Would you rather have your old stuff or all new? If nothing special, buy new here. 

I had some nice stuff, but sold it all with no regrets. 

By shipping your stuff, you are probably pretty much buying it again, for the expense involved. Would you rather have your old stuff or all new? If nothing special, buy new here. 

I had some nice stuff, but sold it all with no regrets. 

I have a nice home theater projector and screen and speaker. If I can find that here...

I'm not into momentos. It's starting to sound like a hassle to ship.

When moving here, I brought too many things. 
Just Summer clothes, and limited winter clothes for an occasional holiday would have done.
And of course collectibles and antiques if you are attached to those.

Using appliances with a 110-220 converter is a pain. the converter takes space and the last thing one (with professional equipment and I) wants is a cluttered working surface in the kitchen.
As for quality of local appliances, many appliances the world over are made in China, Vietnam, Thailand etc., so I do not support the argument that the quality here were below par.

If crockery is your thing, that is an item that is not highly valued, and thus sparsely available. 
Melamine is plentiful and a good alternative, kind of acceptable looking, almost unbreakable and cheap to replace.

Furniture here is quite good. As in your home country, you get what you pay for.
My dining table is made of seven centimeter thick hardwood and costed some money. But I am sure that in the US a similar item, if available, is more expensive.
Beds, cabinets, showcases, bookshelves, fitted kitchens are available in hardwood or other materials that ants don't eat like modern plastic covered materials.

Good luck with the garage sale.

Yeah. Wife has a house already so I guess we are good there. The converters sound like a pain. Just some nice kitchen appliances would be nice at least a blender. And an oven for baking.

And a bicycle just get that here as well. Decorations get here and the furniture.

Sounds like a heck of a dining table.

I recall a couple of years ago there was a policy that if you were moving here on retire visa/extension, you could import, during the first year, duty/tax free. It seems to have disappeared off the radar. If that policy still exsists , it may be hard to find information or convince customs etc.

Ship or bring just irreplaceable items, such as photo albums, memorabilia, books maybe,  things that have other than commercial value to you.

Everything else better to buy new here. This way you are sure it is the correct thing, working in Thailand. I think overall you could save some money, plus end up with nice new stuff...   

My mother, bless her, shipped her entire household here, including a 12 year old microwave. For whatever reason we ended up paying import tax on that item and that was more than a new one would have cost here.  For what its worth, that old microwave is still functioning ....  but annoyingly aged at now 20 years old. 

I shipped a fully stuffed container from the east coast of the USA, I mean full, stuff I couldn't duplicate here at the quality and types of items I shipped over... Not one thing was broken and we had many glass items... If you want things you have or get what you think you may want, I would buy it at home and ship everything you want in your container... You only get one chance to do this with duty free and the paperwork was handled by the agent...  I bought a few high end power converters for my electronics and kitchen appliances simple and easy to do... Many items are dual power but a handful weren't and the converters made it a breeze to use them in Thailand... I am assuming that you are American as you need converters... PM me and I will share where I got my converters from if interested.... The port hassles were non existent, the local moving team was top notch.... No worries in doing so... I am glad I did it 100% support doing a shipment!!!

Edited by Pilot3Boz

5 minutes ago, Pilot3Boz said:

I shipped a fully stuffed container from the east coast of the USA, I mean full, stuff I couldn't duplicate here at the quality and types of items I shipped over... Not one thing was broken and we had many glass items... If you want things you have or get what you think you may want, I would buy it at home and ship everything you want in your container... You only get one chance to do this with duty free and the paperwork was handled by the agent... The port hassles were non existent, the local moving team was top notch.... No worries in doing so... I am glad I did it 100% support doing a shipment!!!

I'm heading down a similar path with a container arriving from Australia in early May - mostly 8000 books plus classical music CDs and DVDs, but also my lovely Italian espresso machine, good cutlery & dining sets, and assorted mementos & precious items. Have lived here without them for the last 15 months while we built the new mansion, but I accepted friends' advice in Oz that you don't want to make such a dramatic change late in life by throwing out everything you lived with before. Onthe other hand, everything except the items mentioned above could easily be replaced here - you just have to shop around a bit for quality (not really hard at all).

My removalists in Canberra assure me that their Thai agent in BKK is good, should be no probs with customs, and delivery will be to our doorstep in Surin.  We shall see ...

4 hours ago, billy54 said:

bull54 said what is true.good advice

I'm heading down a similar path with a container arriving from Australia in early May - mostly 8000 books plus classical music CDs and DVDs, but also my lovely Italian espresso machine, good cutlery & dining sets, and assorted mementos & precious items. Have lived here without them for the last 15 months while we built the new mansion, but I accepted friends' advice in Oz that you don't want to make such a dramatic change late in life by throwing out everything you lived with before. Onthe other hand, everything except the items mentioned above could easily be replaced here - you just have to shop around a bit for quality (not really hard at all).

My removalists in Canberra assure me that their Thai agent in BKK is good, should be no probs with customs, and delivery will be to our doorstep in Surin.  We shall see ...

Best of luck.
'Mansions' soon turn into 'monuments' in & around Surin. I know of quite a few.

3 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

Best of luck.
'Mansions' soon turn into 'monuments' in & around Surin. I know of quite a few.

Well, as long as I'm alive & kicking, the place will be clean & tidy & well-maintained. But after I drop off the perch, my b/f & his family will no doubt turn it into a monumental slum within a few months. Such is life, and death.

5 hours ago, billy54 said:

Agree that you should think about what you really want to keep, but also keep in mind that finding replacements for some things you consider "essential" may also be a hassle depending on where you live here.

I shipped a fair amount of things  and a clearing agent in Bangkok took care of the customs hassle. Delivered to me at my condo. Nothing broken. Not a big deal. Customs duty was minimal, but in your case since your wife is Thai, if it's shipped to her in her name, most everything that's not new should clear for free.

59 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

What company are you using?

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

How are you going to protect your books from rotting? The humidity and high ambient mold/spore count can degrade paper very quickly. Have you considered, disposing of the  books and replacing with e versions? I offer that only as a suggestion as I have been shocked by some of the rot I have seen, even in facilities that have humidity and temperature control.

2 hours ago, chdailey said:

I am an American who shipped stuff from the US (Thai wife, early retirement, etc.).  I think the decision to ship vs. buy here depends largely on lifestyle.  If you plan to have a house and some property to maintain here or have hobbies involving working with materials or gardening, I recommend you ship (non-heavy-motor-electrical) stuff if you have used it in the US.  As mentioned above, most tools and hardware here are of lesser quality and won't perform or wear like you are accustomed .  If you have saved hardware items (nuts, bolts, screws, fixtures, etc.) for odd-jobs around the house or for use on machinery, those are of real value over her as well,  Hand tools of all types with good solid hard-wood handles and solid attachment are also at a premium over here.  Again, it depends on what you do with your time and what your lifestyle is.

I'm with ChDailey, it all depends on lifestyle for sure. We packed  up a 40 footer and loaded it. My wife and I had very nice all Mahogany and Cherry  hardwood furniture, Big China cabinet, liquor cabinet . We also have some land and as noted, Thai hand tools are really just not that well made. I also brought over a lawn mower,  rechargeable drills, my huge Craftsman roll around tool chest, hardware, kitchen items and of course my wife and I went out and bought up a bunch of household items like Knife sets, clothes, quality bedding, glassware etc. Honestly $5K USD isn't going to buy you much in Thailand that's quality but it goes back to ones lifestyle expectations. 

$5k is noise if you look at what you can bring. You will thank yourself later. I also recommend you do a bit of forward thinking, what might you want or need. Make the container work for you. We packed up all our stuff and none arrived damaged. The process was very easy and we only had a 2 day delay at customs. Your wife will have that "No duty" so she can bring it all under her name. With you planning out 2 years you have ample time to stock pile items. I can't impress enough on the furniture, yard tools and house linens. Quality items of both of those will eat up $5K in no time. don't sell yourself short IMHO

Best of luck. 

Well, as long as I'm alive & kicking, the place will be clean & tidy & well-maintained. But after I drop off the perch, my b/f & his family will no doubt turn it into a monumental slum within a few months. Such is life, and death.

There are other situations other than death, that turn them into 'monuments'. Mine is in Surin and I think I'm still alive!!!

21 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

How are you going to protect your books from rotting? The humidity and high ambient mold/spore count can degrade paper very quickly. Have you considered, disposing of the  books and replacing with e versions? I offer that only as a suggestion as I have been shocked by some of the rot I have seen, even in facilities that have humidity and temperature control.

Yes, I'm aware of the issue. There is good technical advice available on the desirable humidity & temperature levels for books. And, I think, as in your wine cellar, steadiness in both is probably at least as important as the absolute levels. We are well-a/c'd in the 3 large rooms I plan to use for the books but will be keeping a close eye on it ...

As to new acquisitions, I mostly only buy ebooks these days because, even in a large house, the space available is likely to be insufficient with what I have already. Problem is that many of the academic books I buy - lit, history, philosophy, linguistics - are not available even now in Kindle or related formats. We theoretically have room to build a separate library, but that's probably an extravagance too far ...

I personally don't own things of value. Just a few things would be nice to bring and maybe LCL shipping is the way to go although it is expensive and a hassle.

Presently trying to rationalize even filling a 20 foot container. But the 2 years to do so and stockpile.

Too bad about humidity and books.