Moving to Thailand - ship stuff or buy new

kunfish

I think it is really a lifestyle thing. If you have a lot of professional tools and possessions supporting your livelihood, or hobby, then you should ship it to Thailand. If you define your life partly through your possessions, and they help make wherever you are 'home', then ship them.

I'm more into 'minimalist' possessions and moved to Thailand with just a 20 kg suitcase, mainly filled with books. Some might think it sad that my life up to that point could be summed up by just one suitcase, but to me life is something different.

Don't worry about your home theater set-up etc. It's probably been superseded by now anyway. Take the opportunity to update your system when you are settled in Thailand.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, kunfish said:

I thought you can buy converters for the electrical devices.

We do have some nice appliances like a professional level blender and mixer but could replace here.

Wind is Thai so shouldn't have a problem with customs for the one time move.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can buy professional level blenders here.

I think it is really a lifestyle thing. If you have a lot of professional tools and possessions supporting your livelihood, or hobby, then you should ship it to Thailand. If you define your life partly through your possessions, and they help make wherever you are 'home', then ship them.

I'm more into 'minimalist' possessions and moved to Thailand with just a 20 kg suitcase, mainly filled with books. Some might think it sad that my life up to that point could be summed up by just one suitcase, but to me life is something different.

Don't worry about your home theater set-up etc. It's probably been superseded by now anyway. Take the opportunity to update your system when you are settled in Thailand.

As they say what you own owns you. Maintaining stuff is a lot or work or at least more mindfulness of it.

Less is more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I brought a few items from the UK - and regretted it due to the import duty (even though there shouldn't have been anything to pay.... "pay or leave it here" I was told).  The only thing I later regretted not bringing was fitted kitchen appliances...!!!

Edited by steve73

I 100% agree on both sides of the question, "Bring or buy here".

Initially I was going to buy here in Thailand. Now I am a outdoor hobbyist type so having things to go off and do, build or fix are my way of relaxing. When I started coming back and forth with my wife as we built our house I began looking at those items I required. I found it to be rather frustrating (and discouraging) and really very expensive. Then I flew back to the states and saw the things I had and thought "Shit, I am going to sell this stuff for pennies on the dollar only to come over here to spend more to get less" . It just didn't make sense. My wife agreed. She couldn't get her arms around having bought something and selling it for over half of what we bought it for. In fact many of the tools I have to work on the cars, motorcycles and the tractor I couldn't likely even get here. Then came the big spreadsheet exercise to assess the "Bring or buy here" question. I only had to go down about 10 lines and the cargo container had already paid for itself. Then everything after that we brought over was pure gravy. Just the hardwood furniture alone was darn near worth the cargo container cost. Ever looked at quality Teak or Rosewood furniture in Thailand? There was no way I was going to fill my house with cheap veneer particle board furnishings from Index.  

Anyway these are just some thoughts to spur discussion for the OP. I know many that up and moved here and did it with a few suitcases, then after a few years really regretted not looking at it longer term. Now if one is going to be a "Nomad" so to speak and live in 1 bedroom condo's then I can see that ideal being well suited. Just buy here. But if you built a home and have some land it would be a good idea to revisit whether to Bring or buy. 

To everyone's point, This is really a personal question because it completely revolves around ones personal expectations and make up. What I wanted out of living here will vastly differ from everyone else.

Edited by JAFO

For the most part it's "just stuff" and the OP's attitude seems to reflect that too as he makes it clear that he does not have much that is "special". Paying extra baggage fees for a little bit of stuff that qualifies could be another path to consider. No way I would ship it all. Finding quality "stuff" here can be challenging but it can be done. What you get as you sell off combined with what you save by not shipping will go far. 

It is a a matter of personality and particular situation. , the attachment you maintain with the home country, and how often you plan to go back.

First of all my personality is such that I dont form attachments with material goods, it does not mean that I am not materialistic, I like my toys as much as the next guy, but they are simply utilitarian to me.

Second, I will always maintain my Florida home. because I dont know when I might want to or have to go back, so a lot of my stuff , stays there. Third I have my Daughter and other family and friends in the US that I like to see, so I will be going back and forth at least once a year. so when I need tools or other things I bring with me in my suitcase. 

even now at least one of as Travels to Thailand a couple of times a year.

I enjoy exploring and discovering new things  so for me, Buying New things is fun. plus I have my old stuff available.

For you it might be different. and based on that you will need to make your own decision,

My advise, . Make a fresh start!  

How often does one get that opportunity? 

And as many said , no need to bring many things, Though I have brought tones of clothing, most sit in the closet. I tend to wear the same favorite pairs of shorts , tee shirts , polo shirts and casual night clothing when we go out. If I had brought three shorts, five polo shirts, five Teeshirts and a couple of long pants I would had being fine.

PS: oh and you will also need underwear  . thou going commando might be liberating, catching your pecker on the zipper is no fun. LOL 

Edited by sirineou

For the most part it's "just stuff" and the OP's attitude seems to reflect that too as he makes it clear that he does not have much that is "special". Paying extra baggage fees for a little bit of stuff that qualifies could be another path to consider. No way I would ship it all. Finding quality "stuff" here can be challenging but it can be done. What you get as you sell off combined with what you save by not shipping will go far. 

Yeah it's kind of a Mission to Mars type situation where you have one chance to bring stuff duty free when coming with wife.

A nice thing about shipping is bringing a ton of stuff from Costco or other bulk store of western goods that would stay good for a long time.

Starting fresh sounds good and the likely option. The extra cost here is fine if you don't get too much stuff.

Advantage of home country is you know where to get what you what.

Honestly we came here this trip with little more than a couple of suitcases and we would be just fine if we never left.

The only person that can answer this is you. My 40 foot container is now on the high seas and on it's way to Thailand. In it are things that make my life bearable in any new location; my books, furniture made from high quality oak that I enjoy and give us both pleasure to see around the house. Bric a brac from 20 years of marriage and, for me, 45 years of adult living . Minimum of clothes, except for my Thai wife's 5 winter coats (dont ask, I just couldn't be bothered to argue). One bed that I know I can sleep on, bit of Military gear that I want to keep from those days and a few odds and sods to fill the container. Overall cost was £5k . For me, it wasn't about what I could replace in Thailand, it was about what I wanted around me while living there and the only person that could answer that question was me. I did find my wife packing some empty plastic ice cream containers, which I did stop!! 

If your household belongings are not having sentimental value, it's probably not worth moving a container. And mind you that electric in Thailand is 220V/50Hz.

Presume the rules are still the same, as when I moved to here (from Scandinavia), that you are allowed one (box) air shipment, and one surface shipment; so some collectors items (fx. CD-collection or...) can be shipped in a box by air. Many, including myself, brought small bits in when commuting by air, i.e. with a Thai Air mileage Silver-card (earned after one return trip) you are allowed 30 kg.

I did send a 20-feet container over from Europe, which costed me about $7,000 cif Bangkok, plus little duty and VAT (there will always be some), and a small "overtime fee" for customs (to get a smooth custom service, which I did), in all some 50k baht on top including custom-clearance-agent, and domestic transportation of container from Bangkok to Samui vv., offloading etc.

As I had some stuff of sentimental value (quite large book collection, and some fairly large paintings in old frames, and a Hammond organ, and some more stuff) I decided to use a container, and used the extra space to load some more stuff from home, which were almost new and should be bought again here – I moved for example plastic sun-chairs to Thailand, :shock1: as I had the empty space and would buy similar new ones, which are relative expensive here, if you want good quality – the saying is that a private container is more safe, than surface shipping single items and/or boxes.

It's a big job to pack safely and make a detailed packing list with values, in my opinion not worth it, if you don't have belongings of sentimental value, or some very expensive items that cannot easily be replaced.

:smile:

57 minutes ago, sirineou said:

oh and you will also need underwear  . thou going commando might be liberating, catching your pecker on the zipper is no fun. LOL 

HAHAHAHA. I do not know if I ever felt going Commando as liberating but it is far more comfy. But it does come with risk unless you wear Levi Button fly 501"s  

Interesting inputs thus far. Its odd in that I have no sentimental attachments to the belongings I brought ( except my liquor cabinet) but it was about cost, quality and availability. Clearly my expectations are different and I didn't move here to become a minimalist and go without. Also Interesting that so many of you folks reported bringing huge book, CD, record albums collections. None of that made the Cargo container trip for us. All is electronic content now, put music on a thumb drive, same with books etc. Even those old album classics that people have are all available to download. 

As Sirineou stated, Every trip back to the US you can always mule something over. You are allowed 2 suitcases so we pack a little bit in all 4 and then on the way back 1 is for what we brought the other 3 we fill up.  I was just there and brought back a new Drone, some more Alcohol for my collection, Bed sheets,  my wife a few purses, few more Levi's, A Columbus Peppered Salami and assorted Vitamins for my FIL. :smile:. She also brought back a bunch of things her friends wanted and paid us for them.

I wish the OP the best. Sounds like he just wants to hop a plan and go on a mission here to furnish his home and buy new. Sounds fun. Good Project. Not sure where he will live but as you leave the epicenter of BKK the availability of quality items diminishes significantly unless you want to order off Lazada in which you will pay a dear premium

When I left my work in Saudi and shipped my thai wifes stuff back to Thailand in 2014, she got slugged "import duty" even though the stuff was used and nothing fancy. sell yr stuff and buy here

Originally I thought it was only going to be 3k for a container. At that rate wouldn't question bringing stuff in one.

Wife has a house in Khon Kaen. Small but 5k would allow us to probably add another room and redecorate and get new furniture like a sofa and so on.

Most books we have are electronic and music is all on computer so no physical media to worry about.

Infrequent trips back home sounds like a great plan to haul stuff back.

If you have possessions that you really can't do without.. bring them.. but otherwise leave them behind..    your needs here will be different from your needs where you came from..    most things that you need can be replaced here..   The thing is..  life is a journey of leaving things behind... youth.. relationships.. material things.. life goes on..   I had a busy life with a lot of material things.. when things went pear shaped I put a lot of stuff in storage.. gradually over a few years I got rid of things that I found that I didn't really need.. I'm down to 3 or 4 plastic storage boxes in Australia now.. I have brought very few material things with me.. my life is filled with fewer possessions now and I like it that way.. I would suggest that you put things in storage and take another look in a year or two and see what you really want to keep.. 

I had similar thinking to the OP before moving here a year ago, it was a no brainer for me. Nothing i owned had any real sentimental value, so i sold the lot. Came here with a suitcase and gradually bought stuff along the way when needed. Some stuff from Lazada was utter rubbish haha but some was half decent for the price (Bedframe, refrigerator, tv, utensils), bought other bits from Homepro and Index, nothing really fancy though. I quite liked buying new stuff and getting rid of the old, and I also like to find a bargain on some of the local Facebook groups, but each to their own. I'm a bit different in that i haven't got a wife or even a steady girlfriend, and i like to travel around to different countries when i feel like it, but i still think i'd have done the same thing regardless.

Whatever you choose i wish you good luck!

I will be faced with the same thing in a few years. I married a Thai lady, she is here in USA with me now, planning Thailand retirement, etc. I have become a minimalist over the last few years, don't need many material things. But I have a hobby of building model cars, and don't think there is the availability of the kits and detail supplies in Thailand, so I'll bring the collection of that stuff, and photos but that is probably about it. Won't need a big container, maybe a few UPS or Fedex packages. 

9 hours ago, kunfish said:

We do have some nice appliances like a professional level blender and mixer but could replace here.

If brought a 40 footer from the US with several electrical appliances, transformers work fine, speed will be a problem with motors on some things, 60 cycle vs 50 cycle, only problem is when the relatives visit and plug things into the 220v instead of the transformer it has and will happen

3 hours ago, JAFO said:

HAHAHAHA. I do not know if I ever felt going Commando as liberating but it is far more comfy. But it does come with risk unless you wear Levi Button fly 501"s  

Until, as you get older and forget to button-up your flies.............

1 hour ago, flexomike said:
11 hours ago, kunfish said:

If brought a 40 footer from the US with several electrical appliances, transformers work fine, speed will be a problem with motors on some things, 60 cycle vs 50 cycle, only problem is when the relatives visit and plug things into the 220v instead of the transformer it has and will happen

I purchased converters before I came. Work outstanding and no issues. I have two 750 Watt units to run each TV,  one 5000 watt in kitchen for wife with all our kitchen appliances and one 5000 watt in my shop to charge all my cordless tools etc. Again people told me to dump all my tools and buy here. For example I have a Dewalt 20V Cordless Hammer drill. In US that drill was nearly $260. If I was to sell used as I looked on Craigslist they sell for $60 tops. one 5000 watt converter was $175 that allows me to charge many devices at 1 time. So I would have lost $200 on the drill, then have to come here and spend even more and try to find something close in quality for same price. I have many other cordless tools so the converter easily paid for itself and I have top quality and reliable tools. 

You can buy converters from this place...http://www.220-electronics.com/diamond-series-voltage-converters-stabilizers.html. Again for me this was about economics. 

I don't regret shipping ny stuff from Aus.

I definitely  couldn't buy most things here of the same quality !

second hand  items don't have much value in Aus. ,...everyone wants a bargain!

customs was fast tracked with a bit extra tea money!  My container was never opened and inspected by customs!  

I purchased converters before I came. Work outstanding and no issues. I have two 750 Watt units to run each TV,  one 5000 watt in kitchen for wife with all our kitchen appliances and one 5000 watt in my shop to charge all my cordless tools etc. Again people told me to dump all my tools and buy here. For example I have a Dewalt 20V Cordless Hammer drill. In US that drill was nearly $260. If I was to sell used as I looked on Craigslist they sell for $60 tops. one 5000 watt converter was $175 that allows me to charge many devices at 1 time. So I would have lost $200 on the drill, then have to come here and spend even more and try to find something close in quality for same price. I have many other cordless tools so the converter easily paid for itself and I have top quality and reliable tools. 

You can buy converters from this place...http://www.220-electronics.com/diamond-series-voltage-converters-stabilizers.html. Again for me this was about economics. 

Sounds like a good plan to buy used tools, among other things, on Craigslist and bring them here in container and sell if coming that one time with Thai wife.

I work for a removal company and I can assure you if you bring your stuff from America you will wonder why you bothered.

if you don't bring it you will wish you had.

I shall be bringing a suit case of clothes and my computer when I return in July, mainly because I am moving into a furnished condo.

I have moved enough people to realise old furniture in to a new house doesn't always fit or look good. With buying new you can at least buy to fit.

My advice just bring the things that mean anything to you. The rest, sell.

9 hours ago, berybert said:

I work for a removal company and I can assure you if you bring your stuff from America you will wonder why you bothered.

I absolutely disagree. The only thing that I thought was a waste (initially) was bringing jackets and sweaters. But my wife said rather then give to Goodwill, we can give to people in Thailand and we did. We also gave all the moving blankets to the local temple for people needing them for winter etc. I have never sat and thought why did I bother. Quite the opposite I am very thankful I brought what I did. But again, I want to be clear, I wasn't do a life make over and moving abroad to become a minimalist (Absolutely nothing wrong with that change). I moved here to relax and have some of the things I like to continue with my hobbies and lifestyle.

I have moved enough people to realise old furniture in to a new house doesn't always fit or look good

This I can agree with if you didn't have a plan. All of our dark hardwood furniture matches the Teakwood of our house and ties in quite nice. The OP is planning on leaving in 2 years, he can easily assess that and make it fit, we did. 

With buying new you can at least buy to fit.

Good Point. It was considered but again goes back to cost of the quality furniture. 

Wife and I will be back next year suitcases full and bring over as much stuff as possible for first step. I want to bring a lot of things like instant espresso and other things we can stock up on for long term use.

We will do a financial assessment of our situation and look at replacement costs vs costs to ship.

We could use newer furniture and we'll have 2 years to shop for that and look for a good deal (we don't mind gently used as a lot of Americans often update their furniture and you can find deals at a fraction of the cost. That, coupled with the bed we want to bring...

My wife has a furnished house, but her bed is like sleeping on concrete. I'll ask her if we can get a soft memory foam cushion for it.

We could stuff that container to the gills for stuff or sell to friends that we cheaper in America. If we could find a way to make money from the move to offset shipping costs, that would be great.

It's all math for us and the cost of stress to ship stuff over.

Honestly, we could just walk away from what we have at home. We are in her home now in Thailand and have everything we need. We actually would not need to go back if we decided to not go.

As said, less is more. I moved from a large house full of high quality furniture and art onto my 50-ft boat. Almost everything back then sold or given away, few things left on boat, never really missed other than reminiscing. Only thing I have found difficult to replace is really good tools, even craftsmen here just don't appreciate good quality hand tools, even if only Sears Craftsman level.