Got a new passport, now having two - how to go out/in?

Hey guys, because my old passport is almost full I've got a new one.

Currently keeping both as the old one has my extension. I will be flying from DMK to Penang get new visa.

What is the correct procedure for the stamps out / in? I'll be returning overland Penang - Hat Yai

Is it - exit Thai stamp old passport, entry Malaysia stamp new passport and everything next new passport?

9 minutes ago, 11223344 said:

No cut off, bot are valid

Not sure how you ended up with two valid passports. The old one should of at least of been stamped as cancelled when you picked up your new one. I would guess though the old one was canceled in the records of your country's passport agency.

Since you have an extension in the old one you should go to immigration to have your stamps transferred from the old one to the new one.

You could also show both passports on departure from the country and they would transfer your stamps to the new one and stamp you out of the country in it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure how you ended up with two valid passports. The old one should of at least of been stamped as cancelled when you picked up your new one. I would guess though the old one was canceled in the records of your country's passport agency.

Since you have an extension in the old one you should go to immigration to have your stamps transferred from the old one to the new one.

You could also show both passports on departure from the country and they would transfer your stamps to the new one and stamp you out of the country in it.

When I was working internationally I used to have 2 UK passports quite legally.

While working in one country I could get a visa for another country easily while still keeping one passport. I used one for Moslem countries and the other for non Moslem countries.

We can have up to 3 valid passports at any time. I asked to keep the old one in case I would lose one in the future.

Lost passport = have to fly back to Europe to get a new one. I don't live there for 8 years so it wouldn't be the most convenient (not in Thailand whole time though)

12 minutes ago, 11223344 said:

We can have up to 3 valid passports at any time. I asked to keep the old one in case I would lose one in the future.

Lost passport = have to fly back to Europe to get a new one. I don't live there for 8 years so it wouldn't be the most convenient (not in Thailand whole time though)

Not all countries allow you to have more than one passport without doing a special application for it based upon a valid reason.

You will have to leave on your old passport and then enter the other country on the new one to do a passport swap. You will have to do it by air. It is not possible at border crossings.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will have to leave on your old passport and then enter the other country on the new one to do a passport swap. You will have to do it by air. It is not possible at border crossings.

Thanks ubonjoe... I will be flying DMK - Penang so you confirm it's how I thought - exit stamp from Thais on DMK in the old passport. Then entry stamp to new passport in Penang airport and continue to use the new one

Edited by 11223344

5 minutes ago, 11223344 said:

Thanks ubonjoe... I will be flying DMK - Penang so you confirm it's how I thought - exit stamp from Thais on DMK in the old passport. Then entry stamp to new passport in Penang airport and continue to use the new one

That is what you will need to do.

• Like 1

When it is time for extension renewal, the OP will need to ask Immigration to transfer the existing extension from the old passport to the new passport. Since the new passport will have been used and as such accepted as valid by Thai Immigration, he may not need to submit additional proof at that time that the new passport is legitimate. This is currently the case for British passport holders (and possibly others) who are moving extensions from old passports to new passports where they are required to get an affidavit from the British Embassy.

Edited by NanLaew

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Then the OP will need to ask Immigration to transfer the existing extension from the old passport to the new passport when it is time for renewal. Since the new passport will have been used and as such accepted as valid by Thai Immigration, he may not need to submit additional proof at that time that the new passport is legitimate. This is currently the case for British passport holders (and possibly others) who are moving extensions from old passports to new passports where they are required to get an affidavit from the British Embassy.

He apparently only has a 30 day extension of a 60 day entry from a tourist visa. No problem for him to swap passports since he will be returning with a new tourist visa in the new passport.

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He apparently only has a 30 day extension of a 60 day entry from a tourist visa. No problem for him to swap passports since he will be returning with a new tourist visa in the new passport.

Correct

Is it a UK passport?

Basically you can have all your visas transferred to your new passport quite easily at the office that issued the visas. the service is free and takes about 1 or 2 hours max.

When you have done that, you can then get any visas that need it renewed.

in general you old passport is invalid....een if the corners aren't cut off.

There is a situation - e.g. if you have an Israeli stamp in your passport - thet you won't be allowed to visit many muslim countries....if these circumstances you may be issued with another passport.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Notadoctor said:

Basically you can have all your visas transferred to your new passport quite easily at the office that issued the visas. the service is free and takes about 1 or 2 hours max.

Visas cannot be transferred.

Immigration will only transfer stamps done by them.

OP has two valid passports so he does not need to have his stamps transferred.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Visas cannot be transferred.

Immigration will only transfer stamps done by them.

OP has two valid passports so he does not need to have his stamps transferred.

Yes - I meant the stamps.

whether he has 2 valid passports is his business (as I said) - but if you receive a new passport immigration will transfer the "stamps" to your new passport.

Just had my passport renewed, it is a New Zealand one.All done on line. I have kept the old passport. When my new one arrived the letter said that my existing passport still had till the 24th of April to expire, however that passport was now invalid for International travel, it was cancelled in Wellington.

I then rang the NZ embassy in Bangkok who issued a letter to Thai immigration, asking them to change all stamps neccessary to my new passport. This was done, took the first 2 pages of my new passport. Also you must give full photo copies of both passports to Immigration when you change passports. 

If one should leave on your existing passport remember it mey have been cancelled by your Passport issuing office, so then you would have to use your new one, which you may not have had restamped. Could cause problems.

BAYBOY.

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Correct but you had to prove you had a valid reason for a 2nd passport.

Mine was for business.

I was in the UK at the time and the company took my passport to send to the Angolan embassy for a visa, then 2 days later they wanted me to go to S Africa and couldn't understand why I had no passport.

Next day I went to the passport office to get an extra one only to find out that the company should have signed the photos (a total waste of time). The passport guy told me to come to him first thing in the morning and that he would expedite it which he did with no brown envelope and I caught an evening flight to Johannesburg. For an enjoyable month.

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Absolutely correct! - it what happened to me last year with the exception I had no extension in my old passport to be transferred over. I did (at pedang bessar) have the IO hand write a note in my new passport in Thai my old passport number and when I entered the country and where I stayed (city, no exact address). I think also the previous visa details were noted also, number and type. And then was stamped out of the country in my new passport and into Malaysia in my new one. Oddly the Malaysia IO asked to see my old passport prior to stamping me in to Malaysia. I think this was to simply to see if I was prohibited from Malaysia or something!.

Take both old and new with you. And, If British take the form/letter that you were given or should have been given that states they issued you a new passport while abroad. I think, from top of my head here, (not quiet 100% sure)  that same form/letter that you get is signed and stamped and gives immigration permission to add/transfer your previous visa (or extension) to the new passport. 

EDIT:

For whats its worth neither Thai Immigration when exiting at Pedang Besar nor Malaysian when I entering asked to see the document affidavit that I was given with my new passport. Take it anyway! 

Edited by DerekMarshall

it's completely legal to have more than one UK passport, I have travelled in/out with 2 valid passports for 8-9 years without major issues (apart from one big boo boo at a Laos crossing), also used the visa on an expired passport but stamping the in date passport on many entries without issue,, but you would sure throw confusion if you tried to get them to stamp you in on the new passport whilst showing them the visa on the still valid (but old) one,,, 5555
No problem switching passports in flight but not overland, if at any time you are posting your (second) passport back to UK for any visa application never post the passport you entered with for obvious reasons, and when travelling to other destination of new visa you should always show first to check in the passport containing your destination visa, then switch at the immigration point showing PP with Thai visa only,, have been asked a couple of times at check in for my entry stamp from thailand (which I don't think is their business), on this occasion I must produce both PP's, it is for this situation that I usually carry a back up print out from the UK.gov website that simply shows them that it's quite legal to have two UK passports.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

7 hours ago, Notadoctor said:

Is it a UK passport?

When you have done that, you can then get any visas that need it renewed.

in general you old passport is invalid....een if the corners aren't cut off.

There is a situation - e.g. if you have an Israeli stamp in your passport - thet you won't be allowed to visit many muslim countries....if these circumstances you may be issued with another passport.

- not UK

- I don't know how about you, but I don't consider going to immigration 25km away from Sukhumvit + waiting for several hours "easy" :) for me it is pain in the ass

- no both passport are valid, as I said we can have legally up to 3

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

Mine was for business.

I was in the UK at the time and the company took my passport to send to the Angolan embassy for a visa, then 2 days later they wanted me to go to S Africa and couldn't understand why I had no passport.

Next day I went to the passport office to get an extra one only to find out that the company should have signed the photos (a total waste of time). The passport guy told me to come to him first thing in the morning and that he would expedite it which he did with no brown envelope and I caught an evening flight to Johannesburg. For an enjoyable month.

I think everything is more relaxed now. I carry two UK passports and both are legit and valid. The passport office in Liverpool first advised me to get a second passport to cover the kind of situation you mentioned. I didn't get a second passport at that time but did so later in London. I got the passport easily but i can't remember having to explain why i needed the second passport.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2017 at 1:54 PM, ubonjoe said:

are you saying clearly that if i left the country with my old and new passport they will move the extension and reentry  for me at the airport immigration right there and then and save me the trip and wait at promenada mall imm. here in cm?

8 minutes ago, uptoyoumyfriend said:

are you saying clearly that if i left the country with my old and new passport they will move the extension and reentry  for me at the airport immigration right there and then and save me the trip and wait at promenada mall imm. here in cm?

Not if you have a one year extension of stay.

My reply to the OP was based upon him having a 30 day extension of a tourist visa entry.

• Like 1

I beleive the first passport with lots of stamps will be cancelled when shown at immigration. You will have to use the old PP to show your visa.

I have 2 UK passports for work and visas etc. I had to get an original letter from my work as to why it was required. Completed at Trendy.

Immigration has no authority to cancel a passport.

Hi ubonjoe...would it not have been cancelled when he received his new passport? I had one with pages full and it was cancelled when I received my new one.

11 minutes ago, baneko said:

Hi ubonjoe...would it not have been cancelled when he received his new passport? I had one with pages full and it was cancelled when I received my new one.

I most cases the old passport would be cancelled when the new one is issued. In the OP's case his home country does not cancel a replacement passport. He stated he is a allowed to have up to 3 valid passports.

• Like 1