Thais continue to criticize government pick-up laws

webfact

54 minutes ago, timendres said:

Precisely. And I suspect that drunk drivers are a far greater threat to your safety than some people riding in the back of a pickup.

Of course.

But Thailand needs a big stick taken to there drivers don't they,    and this is one example of that.

BTW, it looks like its getting over turned anyway..

But try not to join the bandwagon of Drunk drivers Bla  Bla Bla

Thailand hides behind this.

The big issue is Thai drivers and riders attitude on the road.

Shameful what they do on the roads . :bah:

Edited by onemorechang

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's sad that people don't realize the danger they put them self in, even more sad when you see parents showing total disregard for the safety of their children's lives. They are not old enough to realize the dangers involved in driving with out a seatbelt or in the back of a pickup truck. Wonder how many will loose their lives this Songkran just because of these two factors?

16 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

The truth is that this was allowed and people built their lives around what was allowed. There are millions of smart cab pickups out there that were bought with the belief that the vehicles could transport more than two people. A pickup is a big expense. Now these millions of people (with families) will have to dump their pickups and try to buy yet another vehicle but one even more expensive. If the government was going to begin enforcing these laws, they really needed to do a major campaign over a couple of years so people could find a way to adapt.

Correct, it's ok for those sitting in their aircon condo with the airconned limo parked downstairs with enough income to virtually do what ever pleases them, and who probably haven't ventured into the real Thailand where B300 per day is possibly the only income many of these people can ever hope for. 

13 minutes ago, just.a.thought said:

It's sad that people don't realize the danger they put them self in, even more sad when you see parents showing total disregard for the safety of their children's lives. They are not old enough to realize the dangers involved in driving with out a seatbelt or in the back of a pickup truck. Wonder how many will loose their lives this Songkran just because of these two factors?

Nowhere near as many as will die riding motorcycle 's pissed to the eyeballs. 

Nowhere near as many as will die riding motorcycle 's pissed to the eyeballs. 

The means of transportation is irrelevant it is the total lack of respect for other people's lives that seems to be the problem that and the appalling lack of driving skills often combined with drugs and alcohol

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Easy for well-to-do foreigners to criticize the Thai small businessman who has to transport his entire work crew to the work site in the back of a pickup truck. Thailand means the land of the free. Let the people be free to try to scratch a meager living out of their lot in life.

13 hours ago, johnmcc6 said:

I can hardly wait until all the rules imposed on me in the west come to Thailand. I sure miss the nanny state.

Just so you know 20 US states have no laws against riding in the back of pickups and the remaining 30 are generally limited to prohibiting or limiting children from riding in the back. Nanny state indeed.

21 hours ago, Netzero said:

He should have been a bit smarter about how this was done - all good rules by the way. But traveling in the bed of a pick up truck is dangerous particularly during SongKran...people will die/get injured due to the PM's backing down. He would have saved lives by enforcing that ban immediately.

How about traveling in the back seas of a smart cab style pick up?

How about dogs in the bed of a pick-up?

More will be killed or injured due to excessive speed and driving drunk, lack of enforcement and attitude is the  problem. And we see the offspring of the hi-so can apparently get away with killing someone, why should regular people be restricted.

Edited by jacko45k

Good for the auto industry, since the working Thais won't be able to have groups of people riding in one van but will have to, instead, purchase more autos so they can not be fined for breaking the law. More autos bought means more productivity for the auto industry, and that's good for the economy all around. More tickets for violation of law means more money for police, in order to enforce more of the laws which implement a more safe and sound Thailand so the people are safe from themselves, with the military ready to protect them from themselves if they complain or protest about these increasing laws forcing them to spend more money than they have. I wonder if the wages will increase accordingly with the rise in laws which will force more Thais to have to buy more autos so they can fit more people into their small vehicles?

On ‎06‎.‎04‎.‎2017 at 0:01 AM, jaltsc said:

“But he said that suddenly saying that the law would be enforced was essentially unfair to the people.

Of course it's "unfair" in the land of mai pen rai, and a culture where truth and commitment hold little value. If laws start being enforced, what's next? Teachers mandated to teach meaningful material? Students given grades based on achievement and not their families' statuses? Stores being held accountable to back their products' guarantees and warranties? The transportation industry providing safe buses and minivans? ? Contractors meeting safety standards? The list of unenforced laws that protect the public can go on forever. 

Sometimes, certain standards need to be implemented and enforced to protect irresponsible people from themselves, as well as promoting the welfare of the general public. 

....exactly how it was in Western Europe some decades ago and still is in Eastern Europe - neither more nor less...;)

On 06/04/2017 at 5:38 PM, onemorechang said:

Firstly they cant take 100% can they !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! total nonsense.

But anyway put the fine for what ever it is now , up by say 10%

give that directly to the cops in his monthly  wage. and no one is at a loss.

Easy isn't it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes it would improve safety,  as some wont want to pay the  fines, 

so they wont do the crime !!!!!!!!!!!

Easy isn't it.

Or do we do we carry on doing this :hit-the-fan:

ostrich-man-in-sand.jpg

Re 100%.  If you hand over 500 baht to a road stop policeman and he and his superiors keep it all which is the whole point of cash fines, that is 100% kept. And sorry to disillusion you but that is what happens all the time.  Only rarely do they issue a traffic offence notice.  It is usually cash and carry-(on).

9 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Re 100%.  If you hand over 500 baht to a road stop policeman and he and his superiors keep it all which is the whole point of cash fines, that is 100% kept. And sorry to disillusion you but that is what happens all the time.  Only rarely do they issue a traffic offence notice.  It is usually cash and carry-(on).

Oh well,  carry on down the same old road

You went for option B

ostrich.jpg

So you buy an expensive pickup truck and then modify it for another 50.000 - 100.000 tbh and instead of using it for its intended purpose which is transporting goods and materials you stuff the truck bed full of people. Why the f...... didn't you buy a minibus to start with?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I am all for increasing road safety. Disallowing transport of people in the cargo area of pickups is ok, so is stopping more than 2 on a motorbike, enforcing helmets and seatbelts etc.. also speed limits and other driving rules need to be enforced, with meaningful fines.
I do have an issue with the smart cabs not being allowed to carry more than 2 people in the cab. My wife bought a vigo smart for her business, needing the larger loading area. The back seats remind me somewhat on old Porsche back seats.... anyway the area is clearly designed to seat people. Maybe make it mandatory to retrofit seatbelts in 12 month or so. We use the pickup daily for short trips, anything longer we use my car.
How about holding a referendum for laws like this? Like the Swiss do?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 hours ago, onemorechang said:

Oh well,  carry on down the same old road

You went for option B

ostrich.jpg

This is my option. No more cash fines because it is only like catch and release fishing.  It is not designed to change attitudes just enrich police.  Three unpaid ticket fines over 6 months and seize the car or the driver till fines are paid. Driving without having your driving licence on you would be offence number one as not having one's licence with you would be the first strategy used to avoid getting tickets.  But advise and publicize all changes to law or enforcement some months ahead of time.  None of this silly "from next week we will..........."

Edited by The Deerhunter

21 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

This is my option. No more cash fines because it is only like catch and release fishing.  It is not designed to change attitudes just enrich police.  Three unpaid ticket fines over 6 months and seize the car or the driver till fines are paid. Driving without having your driving licence on you would be offence number one as not having one's licence with you would be the first strategy used to avoid getting tickets.  But advise and publicize all changes to law or enforcement some months ahead of time.  None of this silly "from next week we will..........."

Very hard to understand you ,

But the attitude adjustment is done by money  ( fines )

You just  don't understand,    MONEY NUMBER ONE,   its no joke.

they kill each other for 40 baht in Thailand, is that proof enough  !!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the mechanics,   of how to sort the tickets and fines out.

The clue for one approach  is in one of your own replies.  please go back and read you posts.

But i feel you are just trying to shoot an idea down as so many just love to do.

Coffee brake over back to norm. :jap:

head in sand 2.jpg

Edited by onemorechang

21 hours ago, onemorechang said:

Very hard to understand you ,

But the attitude adjustment is done by money  ( fines )

You just  don't understand,    MONEY NUMBER ONE,   its no joke.

they kill each other for 40 baht in Thailand, is that proof enough  !!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the mechanics,   of how to sort the tickets and fines out.

The clue for one approach  is in one of your own replies.  please go back and read you posts.

But i feel you are just trying to shoot an idea down as so many just love to do.

Coffee brake over back to norm. :jap:

head in sand 2.jpg

Far to difficult to follow your line of argument.  I have no idea at all what you mean.  I will not bother wating my time with any furher posts from you on this matter.  Sorry to disappoint you.

6 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

Far to difficult to follow your line of argument.  I have no idea at all what you mean.  I will not bother wating my time with any furher posts from you on this matter.  Sorry to disappoint you.

Fine.

Coffee brake  over again

Have a nice day :thumbsup:

ostrich.jpg

I took my ranger to the Ford dealership yesterday to ask about fitting belts to the EXISTING fixing points​ in the rear and they said to wait until the law is changed....then they will fit the factory belts and help us change our plates to black and white for compliance/
tax/insurance. They believe the powers to be are going to negotiate and see sense as they (Ford) are lobbying the Gov over the rulings.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

22 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Oops  miss read that one.

My apologies. Thought you were advocating the cash fines at the side of the road. :jap:

Yes that needs to stop straight away.

Give them a pay rise,   give them a percentage of the take.

the revenue would be huge,  enough to go round for all.

6 hours ago, onemorechang said:

Oops  miss read that one.

My apologies. Thought you were advocating the cash fines at the side of the road. :jap:

Yes that needs to stop straight away.

Give them a pay rise,   give them a percentage of the take.

the revenue would be huge,  enough to go round for all.

Whew.  Thank heavens that is over!!!!  Can I take my head out of the sand yet?