Middle finger is an offense in Thailand . .

gentry

A WORD TO THE WISE . . . . don't flip anyone the "bird" in thailand . . . . i recently had a problem with a bad driver (go figure). the guy literally tried to make us crash on our motorbike using his car as a weapon. i was pretty irate with him and wanted to do more than yell . . . at the end he pulled out his video just in time to record me flipping him the bird . . . . long story short, he was fined 100baht for bad driving and i was fined 100baht for defamation . . . . and from what i understand i could have spent up to one year in prison for my offense and had a fine of up to 5000baht . . . . solution . . . flip the bird the way the limeys flip the bird so i can then say "no, i was saying peace man" . . . .

kid-middle-finger1.jpg

winston_churchill_flick-v.jpg

Edited by CharlieH
CAPS removed from title

The 'limeys'? I could give a choice, cockney rhyming slang yanky retort but would get a holiday for it. The way some of the mods roll here, your post will stand however.

One of the first things one learns here is to not flip the bird or swear in Thai (or English). You could get more than that if he had a weapon in the car.

10 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

The 'limeys'? I could give a choice, cockney rhyming slang yanky retort but would get a holiday for it. The way some of the mods roll here, your post will stand however.

One of the first things one learns here is to not flip the bird or swear in Thai (or English). You could get more than that if he had a weapon in the car.

Edited by gentry

11 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXXyms5g5ok

Offensive gestures can be richly deserved due to selfish or stupid driving. Its not clever but on the other hand I dont want to live like a coward.

So dangerous driving possibly leading to death or serious injury is worth a 100 baht penalty and it is on a par with exposing your middle finger which is classified as 'defamation'?

I'm not up on all these defamation laws in Thailand, I do know of a guy who was attacking an individual on a forum ( since defunct) who got a one year holiday at the expense of the gov, may be an interesting topic of discussion what exactly is defamation.

I gave the bird to a Thai guy after he deliberately tried to run me off the road, long story short, I pulled into where I was going, he blocked my exit and came in after me with a machete, they definitely don't like it.

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

My Mrs said this same you look when you get angry. :crazy:

58e5fb8fa86eb_download(2).jpg.e51e0069ff14773e70411898c59126e6.jpg

That's a.........."This hamburger is cold"...Look.........Well there are a zillion like that on Mrs.Trans phone, and many more of the hamburger......:sad:

32 minutes ago, Minnie the Minx said:

So dangerous driving possibly leading to death or serious injury is worth a 100 baht penalty and it is on a par with exposing your middle finger which is classified as 'defamation'?

I'm not up on all these defamation laws in Thailand, I do know of a guy who was attacking an individual on a forum ( since defunct) who got a one year holiday at the expense of the gov, may be an interesting topic of discussion what exactly is defamation.

Yes, I am working on a defamation thing right now.....Strange how these mouthy folk  do not reside in Thailand....BUT.......................:smile:

1 hour ago, barry553 said:

Offensive gestures can be richly deserved due to selfish or stupid driving. Its not clever but on the other hand I dont want to live like a coward.

Spot on Bazza.When some selfish person comes headon at me in my lane,flashing his vip headlights and tries to kill me,the least i could do is give him the finger.I'm glad it's offensive,it meant to be.When the windows up,i don't get time to stick my arm out but close up to the windscreen has to do.Thank goodness the widening of the 24 will be finished this year and will save many lives.There will be a big ditch between the lunatics and me.

2 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

Spot on Bazza.When some selfish person comes headon at me in my lane,flashing his vip headlights and tries to kill me,the least i could do is give him the finger.I'm glad it's offensive,it meant to be.When the windows up,i don't get time to stick my arm out but close up to the windscreen has to do.Thank goodness the widening of the 24 will be finished this year and will save many lives.There will be a big ditch between the lunatics and me.

They don't like your hand on the HOOTER.....Makes daft folk look daft to everyone else...

They don't like it up 'em....:stoner:

Yes, using the middle finger must be avoided.  I did it myself many years ago before I knew how bad Thais handle this .  In Bangkok a guy followed me all the way back to my hotel after I gave him the finger inside a shopping mall because he was trying to sell me some crap.  Never again .  One guy was shot dead in Chiang Mai after he did the same to another biker. 

10 minutes ago, transam said:

Yes, I am working on a defamation thing right now.....Strange how these mouthy folk  do not reside in Thailand....BUT.......................:smile:

Interesting stuff tbh I can see why the cyber police here have their work cut out for them.

If you can prove pin point citations about someone knowingly, maliciously and without permission using derogatory and damaging material either factual or fabricated then you have a case. Not sure what that would lead to as you would need a lawyer and how this works from Thailand I'm uncertain of that too. Are you talking about irl or forum stuff?

3 minutes ago, Minnie the Minx said:

Interesting stuff tbh I can see why the cyber police here have their work cut out for them.

If you can prove pin point citations about someone knowingly, maliciously and without permission using derogatory and damaging material either factual or fabricated then you have a case. Not sure what that would lead to as you would need a lawyer and how this works from Thailand I'm uncertain of that too. Are you talking about irl or forum stuff?

It's forum stuff....Am just working on it from different directions....Can't talk about it here....OK...:smile:

And don't try hiding your middle finger between index and ring finger. The boy scout salute, as it was known when I was a lad, is now considered subversive and anti junta.  Try irony and sarcasm: they don't get it and your might relieve a bit of stress. "Oh, I am so sorry you missed me walking across the street. I will take that kind lesson you gave me. Next time I will carry a flag and flares so as not to discomfort you while driving and texting some very important information I am sure!"

7 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

And don't try hiding your middle finger between index and ring finger. The boy scout salute, as it was known when I was a lad, is now considered subversive and anti junta.  Try irony and sarcasm: they don't get it and your might relieve a bit of stress. "Oh, I am so sorry you missed me walking across the street. I will take that kind lesson you gave me. Next time I will carry a flag and flares so as not to discomfort you while driving and texting some very important information I am sure!"

. . . . or just follow in the footsteps of mr Winston churchill . . . .

winston_churchill_flick-v.jpg

Edited by gentry

5 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Sod that, if they try to run you off the road, give them a full verbal assault.

1 hour ago, barry553 said:

Easy to say now. Returning from Bali Hai one night to Jomtien, a drunk guy named Billy honked his horn and gave the finger to a man in a Vigo. Next light he had a handgun stuck in his ear.

4 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Easy to say now. Returning from Bali Hai one night to Jomtien, a drunk guy named Billy honked his horn and gave the finger to a man in a Vigo. Next light he had a handgun stuck in his ear.

Well stupid drunk Billy ..... maybe in Ecuador or somewhere else he would have lost his life. 

It is getting very hard to keep our cool these days things are changing so fast that we get pushed ahead too fast and we get impatient very fast and yet we are retired folks who did put up with the BS for all of our working time.

So a good way to enjoy retirement and stay alive is forget the <deleted> who ever he is and carry on with your beautiful journey.

Many years ago when I lived in Ekamai I used to take a motocy taxi from my street up to the Skytrain.

Rode side saddle, and yes with a skirt used to get a lot of pervs, not intentional either.

Had enough of three guys who like clockwork as soon as I got on a motocy every morning would  follow me in their car waving etc. I threw my big milk tea at their car one day and hit their windscreen, all that lovely stuff making the driver temporarily blind. Effer drove on the footpath and hit a pole. A couple got out and started chasing lol. I smiled, waved and that was it. Never saw them again but guess I was lucky.

11 minutes ago, mettech said:

It is getting very hard to keep our cool these days things are changing so fast that we get pushed ahead too fast and we get impatient very fast and yet we are retired folks who did put up with the BS for all of our working time.

So a good way to enjoy retirement and stay alive is forget the <deleted> who ever he is and carry on with your beautiful journey.

well . . . . perhaps i should have wrote more . . . . i thought i was already toning it down as i was able to restrain myself from pulling the bloke out of his car and pulverizing him . . . . but i figured out i still need to tone it down more . . . so now i yell, scream, spit and cuss in that little room in my head and smile outwardly . . . . then i go home and left weights, so all in all while i lost a whopping 100baht . . . my muscles are getting bigger . . . daily . . . .  

massive_bodybuilder.jpg