what phone cards available for overseas calls?

I used to use cards like i-Talk, Took-dee for calls to U.S. and Hong Kong, etc. But 7-11 and other places no longer sell them. Can someone advise where to purchase, or what are alternatives for cheapest rates to those countries and others? I don't want to use a subscription-type service like Skype because I don't call often enough. I just want a card around whenever I need to make a call. Pls excuse if this topic has been covered recently. I did not see in a search. Thanks.

3 hours ago, peterdwje2 said:

But 7-11 and other places no longer sell them.

Have you tried to get a "slip" at 7/11 as shown here?

http://www.thookdee.com/home/92en.php

Be aware that the employees at 7/11 often don't know how to sell many of their "slip" products. They don't know the correct codes to type into their handhelds.

I experienced this once when trying to buy some 3BB WiFi credit.

Took several attempts to find a knowledgeable person.

On 4/7/2017 at 0:12 PM, KhunBENQ said:

This "EasyCard" claims to be available through a couple of outlets like Family Mart and B2S e.g. Also as a "slip". No more physical card.

http://www.easycard.in.th/index.php/en/where-to-buy

Thanks for your advice. I asked for EasyCard at B2S CentralWorld but lady said they no longer sell it. Also no luck getting Thookdee slip.

Has anyone actually bought and used these recently, or the CAT card? Thanks.

1 hour ago, bobbyd1 said:

I use CAT card, works for me. Buy them at CAT office for 500 baht

CAT1.jpg.jpg

Does the CAT card have an expiry date? And would you know what are charges for calls to say, the US and Hong Kong? I went to their website but it wasn't easy to find info.

Thank you for your help.

Recently there was a topic on international calling on Thai Visa using the recognised SIM cards, AIS, DTAC etc. If I find the link I will post it here. However the code for calling the UK with AIS is prefix 00500 +44 (UK) then dropping the leading zero so UK - 077xxxxxx becomes 005004477xxxxx. I use it regularly and costs about 3/5 baht/Minute. The other operators have similar codes and this is probably the best option as Sim cards here are cheap enough.

8 minutes ago, Singhaman said:

Recently there was a topic on international calling on Thai Visa using the recognised SIM cards, AIS, DTAC etc. If I find the link I will post it here. However the code for calling the UK with AIS is prefix 00500 +44 (UK) then dropping the leading zero so UK - 077xxxxxx becomes 005004477xxxxx. I use it regularly and costs about 3/5 baht/Minute. The other operators have similar codes and this is probably the best option as Sim cards here are cheap enough.

The topic you are referring to would be in "mobile devices" forum where all telephone related items can be found.

Why bother with a card ? I have cell phone with pre-paid  mins with True ( but you can be billed monthly) and if you dial 006 +1 and the number you can call the USA for 2.5 baht a min. Can dial 006 and other country code to get same deal.

15 hours ago, bobbyd1 said:

I use CAT card, works for me. Buy them at CAT office for 500 baht

CAT1.jpg.jpg

Yes, also very cheap, I think 1.5 baht/min to UK landline, more on roaming dogs.  Can get in 7-11, but most claim "not have",

I have used a CAT card for a number of years to call one person overseas who I cannot access by Skype as they do not access the internet

The sound quality is excellent but if calling a mobile you obviously use up the credit a lot faster than calling a landline

On 10/04/2017 at 6:06 PM, Tony125 said:

Why bother with a card ? I have cell phone with pre-paid  mins with True ( but you can be billed monthly) and if you dial 006 +1 and the number you can call the USA for 2.5 baht a min. Can dial 006 and other country code to get same deal.

only 1 baht a minute to uk landlines plus vat on true

• 6 months later...
On 11/04/2017 at 9:27 AM, StevieAus said:

I have used a CAT card for a number of years to call one person overseas who I cannot access by Skype as they do not access the internet

The sound quality is excellent but if calling a mobile you obviously use up the credit a lot faster than calling a landline

I have used CAT Phone Net for around 10 years. 8 or 9 years of very good quality but now lots of dropped calls or other person cannot hear me. Significant and consistent drop off in call quality. Shame because they were reliable.

I have been using CAT Phonenet cards for about 15  years, with very few problems. Maybe 1 time in 50 there is some sort of technical problem, but the frequency has been declining over time. I have used them in Bangkok, Eastern Thailand and Isaan.

Try ordering a MagicJack you can Google it. It's a device that plugs into your computer or has an app you can download to a cell phone that gives you unlimited calling to the US and Canada. Costs about $35 a year. People in the US can also call you free of charge as the device has a US number. Can be used in any country your in.

5 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Can be used in any country your in.

So long as you have an Internet connection.  Your computer doesn't have to be on to use it, just to activate it, but from then on you must have it plugged into your modem.  They now have International plans where you can call foreign countries in addition to the US and Canada.  see the website

http://www.magicjack.com/index.html

On 11/16/2017 at 4:28 PM, Briggsy said:

I have used CAT Phone Net for around 10 years. 8 or 9 years of very good quality but now lots of dropped calls or other person cannot hear me. Significant and consistent drop off in call quality. Shame because they were reliable.

I must be lucky for the last at least 4 years have experienced no problems but in the main it is usually only calls  to Australia and generally the one number in Sydney.

I tried DTAC's 00400 to a UK landline. Excellent quality but 5 Baht a minute (net of VAT I should add!).

Looking at their website, I discovered that if I can get hold of a "Happy Tourist SIM (199, 299 or 599 Baht not 49 Baht) I can avail myself of the cheaper rate. I then discovered these are only available at international airports. As this is Thailand, surely there is a secondary market somewhere flogging these. I am on the phone to UK landlines for around 5 hours a month, so I will be able to get my money back quickly enough.

I will hunt these out (Pattaya and Sri Racha area).

On 19/11/2017 at 3:49 AM, Briggsy said:

I tried DTAC's 00400 to a UK landline. Excellent quality but 5 Baht a minute (net of VAT I should add!).

Looking at their website, I discovered that if I can get hold of a "Happy Tourist SIM (199, 299 or 599 Baht not 49 Baht) I can avail myself of the cheaper rate. I then discovered these are only available at international airports. As this is Thailand, surely there is a secondary market somewhere flogging these. I am on the phone to UK landlines for around 5 hours a month, so I will be able to get my money back quickly enough.

I will hunt these out (Pattaya and Sri Racha area).

Or you can just use LocalPhone at a quarter of the price.

LP.JPG

6 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Or you can just use LocalPhone at a quarter of the price.

LP.JPG

There is, when calling from Thailand, on top of this the cost of a local call plus perhaps also a connection fee.

The key thing is the call quality though. I already have 2 VOIP subscriptions with CAT Phone Net and Just VOIP. The first is OK but with some dropped calls, the latter is cheaper (cheaper than LocalPhone) but unreliable. I don't really need another VOIP service that works sometimes but at other times sends white noise down the phone line.

So, I will keep this as a back up and still try to find the Happy Tourist SIM. Can't be that difficult.

Thanks for your suggestion.

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

There is, when calling from Thailand, on top of this the cost of a local call plus perhaps also a connection fee.

The key thing is the call quality though. I already have 2 VOIP subscriptions with CAT Phone Net and Just VOIP. The first is OK but with some dropped calls, the latter is cheaper (cheaper than LocalPhone) but unreliable. I don't really need another VOIP service that works sometimes but at other times sends white noise down the phone line.

So, I will keep this as a back up and still try to find the Happy Tourist SIM. Can't be that difficult.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Not if you call using the App from an iPhone or Android using 3G/4G/WiFi and of course from a PC.

Not unlike your JustVOIP option; http://www.justvoip.com/mobile_voip