Failing audio speakers

MaiDong

I've got 2 sets of Creative speakers, I've had one set for about 5 years, the other set for about 3 years, both of them are failing at the same time, turning the knobs results in crackling and I have to play with the knobs to get the correct sound out of them.

I'm assuming it's the moisture in the air, is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions(other than buying new speakers!)

Years ago, I had a similar problem with a stereo receiver.  I removed the pots and sprayed them with a commercial electronics parts cleaner and they functioned well thereafter. It's a cheap fix so worth trying.  Spray solvent probably available at an "Amorn" location.

• 1 month later...

These 2 speaker sets aren't very high end, they're also a pain in the ariss to remove from their location, if I ever need to move things around I'll see if I can get into them to work out if a parts cleaner will be suitable for the job, thanks for your reply :)

Yeah, crackly pots respond well to a squirt of contact cleaner or WD40.

They will eventually fail and need replacing but should be ok in squeezing another couple of years out.

• 3 months later...
On 17/05/2017 at 1:34 PM, Crossy said:

Yeah, crackly pots respond well to a squirt of contact cleaner or WD40.

They will eventually fail and need replacing but should be ok in squeezing another couple of years out.

I've finally had enough of the crackling, I've pulled the offending knob off and I'm facing the front end of one of the pots, can I just unplug the speakers from the power, lay the offending speaker on its back and spray a little WD40 onto the pot?

2017-08-31 10.39.05.jpg

I've unscrewed all of the screws I could find, but I'm having problems prying it open, I'm worried I'll snap the facia in two, am I right to assume that there will be little clips up along the inside edge of the housing? And that they'll just pop open as I work my way up the edge?...

2017-08-31 11.01.13.jpg

33 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

and spray a little WD40 onto the pot?

You'll have better luck with lighter fluid?  Just dribble it down the shaft and rotate the shaft., use lots.

There are probably some small lugs inside. Just use your fingernails and pry, working your way around. If the gap closes up behind you jam something suitable in to keep the gap open. Leaving it in the sun for 5 mins will soften the plastic. You can then dunk the pot in lighter fluid and turn.

55 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

You'll have better luck with lighter fluid?  Just dribble it down the shaft and rotate the shaft., use lots.

There are probably some small lugs inside. Just use your fingernails and pry, working your way around. If the gap closes up behind you jam something suitable in to keep the gap open. Leaving it in the sun for 5 mins will soften the plastic. You can then dunk the pot in lighter fluid and turn.

All done. There were more screws than I expected, they were hidden behind the mounting lugs for the speaker cover, once they were unscrewed the front came off easily.

Once I got inside I sprayed the holes on the pots and gave them a good twist, it's amazing how gunked up they are, they really loosened up nicely after that, I've now down both sets of speakers!

Thanks for the suggestions!

2017-08-31 11.17.10.jpg

2017-08-31 11.25.54.jpg

Archived