Video: Pick-up refuses to stop after motorcyclist ends up in the ditch

webfact

6 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

From the number of varying opinions on the video, it would appear everyone is making different estimates. To me, the scooter guy did not attempt to brake or decelerate. The pickup was moving at a speed where anyone with road awareness could avoid it easily.

watch the pickup again when he reaches the midway point (the lines) he speeds up.......they were definitely on a collision course after this point.

before the truck reached the midway point the rider judged it correctly.......keep going.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

"Isn't it right have the right of way in Thailand ?"

No, it is not. I hope you don't drive or ride here.

Pretty sure it is , which doesnt mean yoiu have or can take your right of way

I drive 2 cars and a big bike , and know how to drive.

Maybe we should be better of if you stick to diving and stay away from driving before you give more wrong advise.

9 hours ago, BEngBKK said:

My biggest problem with Thais on Motorcycles and in cars is that you newer know, if they are driving 40 km/h, 80 km/h or 150 km/h.....:shock1:

Especially at night, if they drive with broken lights...

:jap:

"My biggest problem with Thais on Motorcycles and in cars is that you newer know, if they are driving 40 km/h, 80 km/h or 150 km/h.....:shock1:

Maybe should try Specsavers!

Visually impaired? ...... quite possibly! Whatever ...... happens daily at most intersections. Near misses are commonplace & no one seems to care. Have you ever noticed whilst riding a motorcycle at junctions that no one looks at each other to indicate their intentions? You've got to think "thai" or you're in trouble. No road sense or awareness when driving/riding on the road. Motorcyclist certainly has "right of way" in the video, but he most definitely saw the pickup & could have braked in time, but chose to adopy the "me first" attitude. Crossing & using a freeway safely with double lanes in both directions needs skill & judgement of oncoming vehicle speeds ........ something that drivers in Thailand do not possess. Defensive driving/riding is the only way to survive here ......... that incident could have been avoided. Plain stupidity from both parties. 

2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yup it does i will explain it for u its probably pick ups with high speed crashing into motorbike riders.

Oh, I see. Slowing all the pickups to 75 km/hr will prevent that.

10 hours ago, bander said:

Anyway the motorcyclist could be hurt seriously, what kind person would run away from that? 

I agree, I've seen it so many times on the roads in Thailand, I always drive defensively because you never know what those idiots are going to do, you have to think for them because they are braindead.

8 hours ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

Isn't it right have the right of way in Thailand ?

The truck was already on the road , so the stop sign was not for the second lane he approached.

Motorbike should have slowed down to avoid this accident.

The truck should have waited at the stop sign and proceed only when it is safe to do so.  Which country are you from anyway?  Your statement is absolutely ridiculous, maybe you should read it again and again.  

As I have pointed out many times before:

All too many Thai drivers drive with a bad attitude that results in them doing what ever they please and what ever suits them at the time while what they do is done with a:  "I am making my move and everyone else is required to accommodate my move"  type of mentality and attitude .....regardless of how reckless and or dangerous the maneuver.

This is another clear case of a Thai driver operating their motor vehicle  with that kind of attitude and mentality where they are making a dangerous move but they expect everyone to accommodate their move while " right of way"  decorum is not considered at all and does not exist at all in most of their minds.

Most of the time everyone does accommodate the reckless or dangerous move because they are actually paying attention or they have room to do so... or....all too often they are suddenly forced to do so and narrowly avoid colliding with one another as you see in the video, but still, the motorcycle driver was Forced to react to the dangerous and reckless move made by the pickup driver who is impatiently and selfishly crossing the intersection and violating "right of way" driving decorum and driving sensibilities rather than simply wait for several more seconds  for the motorcycle to pass by and then make their move to cross the intersection when the traffic conditions are safe to do so.

But nope...the driver goes for it and expects everyone else to accommodate their selfish,  reckless and dangerous move while the end result all too often is what you see in the video while similar situations and events are occurring  all over the country and standard driving practice amongst most Thai drivers with that: ME FIRST driving attitude and driving mentality resulting in thousands of accidents throughout the country.

And then he or she drives off as if what they did had nothing to do with the motorcycle driver being forced off the road in that manner.

Good thing they are installing more and more CCTV and video recording devices everywhere as you can be assured the truck driver would continue to out right lie about the part they played if not for the video evidence proving they are lying and proving they were in the wrong and the reason the incident happened.  

Cheers

Pretty sure it is , which doesnt mean yoiu have or can take your right of way
I drive 2 cars and a big bike , and know how to drive.
Maybe we should be better of if you stick to diving and stay away from driving before you give more wrong advise.

That means you're pretty wrong. Main road had right of way, if equal roads left has right of way.

sent using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Gerard052 said:

I agree, I've seen it so many times on the roads in Thailand, I always drive defensively because you never know what those idiots are going to do, you have to think for them because they are braindead.

When people ask me what is with the way Thai drivers so often drive I tell them:

Som Tum.....they have Som Tum on their brains

Thai style driving!!!

I am first and who cares about others rights: even take the risk of injuring or killing people!!!!!!!!

That's all of the Thai Smile!!!!!!!!!!

and no responsibility is enforced!!!!!! very bad habit in Thailand!

1 hour ago, manhood said:

Thai style driving!!!

I am first and who cares about others rights: even take the risk of injuring or killing people!!!!!!!!

That's all of the Thai Smile!!!!!!!!!!

and no responsibility is enforced!!!!!! very bad habit in Thailand!

Plenty of Thai people are good drivers. You can't blame the whole nation for some/many of them. 

15 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yes because most traffic accidents here are occur with a high speed...sorry but bazza why i need keep to explain u simple things?

Because they are not as simple as you would like to make them. Wet roads, overloaded pickups, empty pickups, scooters travelling too fast, scooter riders not wearing helmets, alcohol, fatigue, yaa baa - the list goes on and on. The speed of pickups is only one of the factors.

I have seen quite a few accidents where  pickups were not involved at all.

I don't particularly like pickups either, many drivers of them think because they are higher they are therefore mightier. However, that's no reason to claim they are the cause of most accidents, as you seem to be inferring.

Edited by bazza73
Added comment

8 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Because they are not as simple as you would like to make them. Wet roads, overloaded pickups, empty pickups, scooters travelling too fast, scooter riders not wearing helmets, alcohol, fatigue, yaa baa - the list goes on and on. The speed of pickups is only one of the factors.

I don't particularly like pickups either, many drivers of them think because they are higher they are therefore mightier. However, that's no reason to claim they are the cause of most accidents, as you seem to be inferring.

Scooter riders not wearing helmets is not a 'cause' of accidents here....  Having said this I need to make it clear that I ALWAYS wear a helmet as the roads are so dangerous, regardless of how defensively one drives.

Coach and minibus drivers are the worst IMO.  Recently I had to back up (in a samlor - easier said than done!) to make room for a minibus driver who was prepared to hit me as he was so determined to cut in front of me where the road narrowed to a traffic jam in only one lane - the lane I was in....

Pickup drivers are no worse than car drivers in my experience.

Just now, dick dasterdly said:

Scooter riders not wearing helmets is not a 'cause' of accidents here....  Having said this I need to make it clear that I ALWAYS wear a helmet as the roads are so dangerous, regardless of how defensively one drives.

Many unhelmeted riders also have no eye protection, so when they are flying along at 100 km/hr it only takes one insect or bit of road debris in the eye at that speed to create a dangerous situation.

Perhaps I should have said the deaths due to avoidable head injuries are much higher among riders without helmets.

If you look at the last two seconds in the clip you see a pick-up appearing ,looks like very high speed.

Maybe the person who crossed he road misjudged the speed of that pick-up and when he realised

the speed he also speeded up to get out of the way.

Once in the other lane he decided to go for it but hopefully we will find out why the driver did not stop to

check on the condition of the mc driver.

23 hours ago, ajarngreg said:

Including a few foreign drivers....

Yeah! Whenever i see a rental motorbike in front of me i slow down, they are the worst, worse than any thais. Completely unpredictable.

But the thais are more frequent violators.. They are more predictable though... Sudden insane lane changes and stupid undertaking / overtaking is probably the worst..

Motorbikes driving without lights in the dark is scary too.. Almost hit one yesterday :(

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Coach and minibus drivers are the worst IMO.  Recently I had to back up (in a samlor - easier said than done!) to make room for a minibus driver who was prepared to hit me as he was so determined to cut in front of me where the road narrowed to a traffic jam in only one lane - the lane I was in....

Pickup drivers are no worse than car drivers in my experience.

I had to back up...... I applaud you for showing common sense even though you were in the right.

I tried to get that point across in another post but nobody could see that.

1 hour ago, bazza73 said:

Hey Bazza its about statistics.They say that pick ups and motorbikes are the most involved with all the road accidents.also it says speeding is often one of the reasons.So for me to automatically limit the speed of all the pick ups makes perfect sense.I would even include trucks minivans and touring busses and ban them from also from the right lane these vehicles do not need overtake any other vehicles on highways.