Group Files Complaints Over 'missing' Deposits At Banks

george

Group files complaints over 'missing' deposits at banks

BANGKOK: -- A group of people who say their bank accounts have "disappeared" filed a complaint yesterday with the National Legislative Assembly's consumer protection committee, claiming commercial banks had taken all their money.

Kriekkrai Dechtheeranukul, a businessman, led four members of the group in a call for authorities to investigate and force the banks to compensate victims of wrongdoing.

Kriekkrai said he had a fixed deposit account at Thai Farmer Bank's Phaholyothin branch since November 23, 1984, in which he deposited Bt220,630.

He said he never withdrew anything from the account, which he used as one of his company's guarantee accounts. He said the sum in the account might have reached close to Bt1 million, considering the original capital and interest earnt over two decades. Kriekkrai said that two months ago the bank told him the account had been closed. He then learned that Bt47,325 had been withdrawn in August 1985, and some Bt424,445 taken out in November 1994.

Kriekkrai said he asked the bank to check the account's original statements, but bank staff tried to evade his request.

Another plaintiff, Kanchana Wisaila, a factory worker, said she opened a savings account with Bt5,000 at the Siam Commercial Bank's Buddhamonthol 4 branch on September 25 this year, then deposited another Bt3,000 on October 6 - for her eight year-old child.

Kanchana later filed a police complaint on November 13, when she found her bank account book missing and went to apply for a new one. Although she never withdrew a single baht, the bank informed her she had only Bt1,000 left in the account - because someone had withdrawn Bt7,000 on October 9 at 9.43am.

When she asked to see proof, bank officials claimed they had no close-circuit cameras and did not ask the person to show his or her ID card, nor record the ID card number, as the bank clerk assumed the person was the account owner, Kanchana said.

The bank manager told her to file a court lawsuit.

A third person, Thawatchai Peerawattanasakul, said he had two fixed deposit accounts with about Bt400,000 in total at the First Bangkok City Bank's Samut Prakan branch. The Bank of Thailand then ordered the bank to merge with the Krung Thai Bank in 1998, he said.

Over the past two years he has contacted the Krung Thai Bank's Sri Samut Road branch many times about his deposit money but the bank insisted his account had been closed.

--The Nation 2006-12-21

another bank scam in asia

it will be interesting to see how many foreigners come forward to admit to having their funds taken from their bank accounts in thailand or when receiving money it is mysteriously sent to another account for which no one is to blame at the thai bank and therefore the foreigner has lost all their money.

Happened to a friend of mine at HSBC, Sathorn Rd.

Someone inside took his money.

I think he got it back though after some turmoil.

Again people complaining about Thailand. These people should leave if they are so negative. Thai Banks are aways right.

Edited by HenryB

Again people complaining about Thailand. These people should leave if they are so negative. Thai Banks are aways right.

So you think the 4 complaining Thais should leave also?? :o

Well, I have been able to withdraw money from my own account at both Kasikorn, Bkk Bank and SCB without them demanding ID.

If that's how they run things, of course people will abuse it.

On the other hand, all Internet banking in Thailand requires you to register all recipients of money in person at the bank. Which kind of kills the whole idea and convenience of banking from home.

If you ever lose your 'passbook' or have it stolen, go immediately to the bank and report it stolen and get a printed letter from the bank stating the fact.

Also on the front of your passbook write: All cash withdrawals to be accompanied by account holders passport.

I have a Thai friend who had 1.5 million in the TMB. He left it in for interest, after one year he returned for a passbook update: 100,000 baht had 'disappeared'.

No CCTV or withdrawal receipt was found, this was about six months ago, the case is still not settled.

My advice would be to keep passbooks very secure, and check the balance at least once a month, if not more often.

So you think the 4 complaining Thais should leave also?? :o

All people are created equal why should I treat Thais different you must be a bigot.

Edited by HenryB

This has happened a couple of times to me when I banked with the Bangkok Bank. The sums missing were small but irritatingly often. I raised a massive stink with the branch manager but he refused to acknowledge any wrongdoing. Just closed my accounts and went to the Kassikorn bank. No problems so far....

It is tough to haggle with a bank. However, no one has mentioned another possible explanation; some customers may be trying a ruse to get money from the bank. Consider; initially, some people may have legitimate gripes. If they get some recompense from the bank, others less scrupulous, may come forth to try and get a piece of the action.

I

A number of years ago i transferred 600.000 baht from my UK account into my Siam Commercial account in Patong.

After two weeks the money was still not showing which prompted me to go into the bank armed with the transfer document, passport and my account pass-book.

I explained to the lady at the counter what the problem was but she dismissed my enquiry saying the money will eventually show in my account.

At that i demanded to see the manager.

The manager came and after seeing proof of transfer and agreeing the money should be showing in my account started making phone calls and checks via the computer, after about half an hour he contacted head office in Bangkok to which he enquired had i recently opened a new account with Siam Commercial to which i replied "No"

After the numerous telephone calls and computer check’s the manager gave me details of a new account number that i could access with my ATM card as the money was in this account, i asked repeatedly who opened the account but received no explanation which left me to assume that a bank staff member had opened a new account and filtered the money into it hoping he or she could at some point withdraw that money.

Apart from the managers reluctance to give details of what happened and reasons why he was very helpful.

I did threaten to bring in the tourist police if the problem wasn’t resolved that day.

I consider myself to fortunate in that i got my money back as many others have failed.

If an account is inactive for so many years it can be claimed by the state in some places. Who leaves money in an account and doesn't check on it? Didn' t the guy check his account during the 1997 financial crisis?

As for the factory worker she has a real complaint. If you inform a bank of some type of theft from your account within two months usually you are not responsible for the stolen money.

But it seems some people don't really care much about the things they own. Their property makes easy pickings for corrupt individuals.

Dont worry, farangs are quite safe... but I heard about ATM-scams, lost wages etc. from Thais
What makes you come to the conclusion that a foreigner is quite safe when using Thailands Banking service, but not so with the local people. :o
Well,

I was writing QUITE SAFE... this means anything else than very safe... Just think about it: Farangname, mostly recorded money from abroad, BIG MONEY - in the average way Thais think - BIG POWER, so they usually handle it extracareful, got that?

At the opposite: One of their own folks, employee, low paid, used to shut the <deleted> up... not too difficult to understand, isn't it?

Hasn't happened yet here. But it did happen to me in the UK. Loyds TSB. Deposited only 30 quid into a small rainy-day savings account. Realised afterward that I didn't get a stamp on the paying-in slip that I always keep.

The 30 pounds never appeared. Still remember it was young teller (male) at a different branch.

Can happen anywhere. It 'pays' to keep an eye on your assets. I mean come on, this guy finds out now that a withdrawal was made in 1984 that he doesn't remember...I'd tell him to p+ss off too if i was the bank manager.

Well,

I was writing QUITE SAFE... this means anything else than very safe... Just think about it: Farangname, mostly recorded money from abroad, BIG MONEY - in the average way Thais think - BIG POWER, so they usually handle it extracareful, got that?

At the opposite: One of their own folks, employee, low paid, used to shut the <deleted> up... not too difficult to understand, isn't it?

Well sorry to have asked about your assumption, and as you say, it it is probably quit safe. :o

It is tough to haggle with a bank.

Correct. An insider once told me:

"Banks are legalized Maffia"... worldwide that is. :D

and another wealthy guy once told me:

"If you owe 100.000 to the bank, the bank will tell you what to do and what not. But if you owe 10.000.000 to the bank you are the one who's telling the bank what to do...." :D

Remember, if you feel cheated, banks are always very sensitive if you tell them you will go to the press or even television with your complaints.... :o

LaoPo

Well,

Well sorry to have asked...
No problem, was only a bit irritaded about your emoticon...

hi'

I'm suprised that no one thought about phishing ...

and it looks like to be the case, if so everyone is concerned, and pay attention to atm machines, type your digits well hidden,

some use a camera to get code numbers, another go take the ticket you almost forget everytime, and there you are, done!

banks in Thailand aren't worse than anywhere else, but dare to go on phishing those is pretty mindless ...

this mean also, that IT security in Thai banks is not so up to date ... do they have someone who takes care of this?

francois