Seat belt law

Prairieboy

I am wondering what the policy will be governing the safety and use of seat belts in the pickups and lorries used to transport school children to and fro.  I see students standing on the rear access platforms of the lorries.  In pickup trucks often the centre bench seat is not fastened to the bed of the pickup.  There are no seat belts in any of these vehicles.

Edited by Prairieboy
typo

I hear so much about  people riding in the back of pickups and the use of seatbelts. 

What about 4 people on a motorcycle?  Usually, it is a family or school age children.  

How about the  "all great parent"  wearing a helmet while a 4 year old rides unprotected?  

I would like to see the law changed to no more than 2 riders on a motorcycle except when the operator is under 17. Then only one person on the bike.

"I would like to see the law changed to no more than 2 riders on a motorcycle"

It is already the law, but like most, never enforced. There's also a law about riding side saddle on a motorbike , as a lot of women do, but law never enforced.

Just saying.

4 hours ago, kowpot said:

I hear so much about  people riding in the back of pickups and the use of seatbelts. 

What about 4 people on a motorcycle?  Usually, it is a family or school age children.  

How about the  "all great parent"  wearing a helmet while a 4 year old rides unprotected?  

I would like to see the law changed to no more than 2 riders on a motorcycle except when the operator is under 17. Then only one person on the bike.

It will be like marriage what you see and desire is not always what you get. 

4 hours ago, kowpot said:

I actually saw a mother and 5 kids on a motorcycle a couple weeks ago.  No helmets.  Age from about 10 to less than 1 year.

2 hours ago, malt25 said:

It is already the law, but like most, never enforced. There's also a law about riding side saddle on a motorbike , as a lot of women do, but law never enforced.

Just saying.

All the laws in the world are useless if there is no enforcement!

Prairieboy what your seeing is the factual parts of the transportation system. The law making system here is much like Moses in the desert. The powers that be call up the scribes(Moses) and they write down the ten commandments of traffic laws in stone. When the stone tablets are presented to the people they of course smash them. History repeating itself. Of course Moses smashed the tablets. Just want to get that out before the reality experts jump me. 

The best I have seen is a woman ( on two consecutive days) riding a motorcycle down the Main Street with one hand and holding a very young baby against her shoulder with her left hand no helmet of course.

The second is a woman sitting as a pillion passenger on a motorcycle breastfeeding a baby no helmets of course.

I live about 25km from Sakon Nakhon. Quite near our house is a highway police  station. The station is directly beside a set of traffic lights at a T junction. Often, regurarly see BIB outside the station watching the traffic, having a smoke. Three & 4 on a bike, no helmet, straight through red light. Trucks & busses through red light. Bikes at night with no lights.

Have NEVER witnessed any action by BIB. You think the motoring public will take any notice of any road rules ??? Me think not !

I personally am of the opinion that Thai's in general don't value their lives as we farang's do, they don't want the rules changed, they want to be in the back of the pickups and in the trays.

You have motorbike riders without helmets, children running freely from their front yards almost onto the streets (villages) without the parents anywhere in sight, motor vehicles, tractor style wagons double parked on bends without any warning to cars coming from behind, vehicles, motor bikes, tractor like looking contraptions without lights, part lights at night and then you have them coming on your side of the road in the small shoulder of your lane, you have to keep your wits about yourself driving.

Ok, I give up, so "up to you"

Edited by 4MyEgo

I remember the story of Moses and the commandments.

Wasnt it like this?

Moses was up on the mount, and then the voice of God called to him in all its power and glory, saying, "Moses its obvious to me that all the people have got way out of hand, with the golden calf and all that s#it. I am very pissed off, so i am going to tell you how to live, these are my rules for the  jewish faith.These rules will be cast in stone so that you and your people will never forget.Do you agree to this?" Moses thought for a minute and being a wise man said "ok lord but how much are they" God said "well, er, nothing" so Moses said, "Ok i'll have ten":cheesy:.I do make me laugh sometimes!.

A friend asked me if i thought he would be able to rent a motor bike in thailand, pattaya as a matter of fact. He was approx 55-60 year old. I replied for his health i recommend the following for you, When you have the eyes of a spider and the reaction of a fly rent the bike, if not just forget it and enjoy a healthy life, may it be longer than a motorcyclist.........

16 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I personally am of the opinion that Thai's in general don't value their lives as we farang's do, they don't want the rules changed, they want to be in the back of the pickups and in the trays.

You have motorbike riders without helmets, children running freely from their front yards almost onto the streets (villages) without the parents anywhere in sight, motor vehicles, tractor style wagons double parked on bends without any warning to cars coming from behind, vehicles, motor bikes, tractor like looking contraptions without lights, part lights at night and then you have them coming on your side of the road in the small shoulder of your lane, you have to keep your wits about yourself driving.

Ok, I give up, so "up to you"

:cool:  It,s not that they don't value their lives. It is more of the belief that when it's your time, It's your time. Fate, Therefore, wearing helmets, seat belts, speeding, all manner of unsafe behavior has no bearing. Because when "It's your time" nothing can stop it. 

I came to realize this when my lovely Thai wife of 17 years  told me this. I call it "The Parable of the Turtle".

We were driving down the freeway and there was a big Turtle trying to cross the road. I saw this and slowed down and was going to get the Turtle put him in my truck and put him in the pond at our house. She immediatelly began to hysterically scream and say No! don't stop. So as not to upset her I continued on our way. I then calmly aked her what did she have against Turtles? She replied, "It was his Time".

18 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

I remember the story of Moses and the commandments.

Wasnt it like this?

Moses was up on the mount, and then the voice of God called to him in all its power and glory, saying, "Moses its obvious to me that all the people have got way out of hand, with the golden calf and all that s#it. I am very pissed off, so i am going to tell you how to live, these are my rules for the  jewish faith.These rules will be cast in stone so that you and your people will never forget.Do you agree to this?" Moses thought for a minute and being a wise man said "ok lord but how much are they" God said "well, er, nothing" so Moses said, "Ok i'll have ten":cheesy:.I do make me laugh sometimes!.

And the Lord said unto Moses, Moses, come forth !  But Moses being old & feeble, tripped & came fifth. 

On 09/04/2017 at 8:04 AM, malt25 said:

Just saying.

A few times now I've seen Mums with small kids with pillows on the steering. Kids fast asleep.

• 6 months later...