Four arrested in fake education degrees scam

webfact

Four arrested in fake education degrees scam
By Angsuma Sridokkham
The Nation

2e87214364bad440a75f5ebd3d4c50c9.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- FOUR SUSPECTS have been arrested for allegedly issuing fake educational degrees to paying customers who will also face legal action.

Metropolitan Police commissioner Lt-General Sanit Mahathavorn said yesterday that buyers of the fake degrees would face the same penalty as the sellers – a jail term, a fine, or both.

“The jail term ranges from six months to five years, while the fine ranges from Bt1,000 to Bt50,000,” he said.

Kittiwat Chanwimonwat, 23, and Jutawadee Sirisuksawat, 21, were arrested in Surin province with fake degrees and related equipment.

Weerapon Kamsaeng, 25, and Lalida Kaewboonruang, 22, were nabbed in Ubon Ratchathani province with forgery tools.

“We found that they have opened Facebook pages to attract customers in violation of laws,” Sanit said.

Lalida said she had sold educational certificates for Bt3,500 for Mathayom 3-level up to bachelor degrees at top universities for Bt9,800 apiece.

The fake degrees were usually used for job applications within the |private sector where authenticity of documents are rarely checked.

Kittiwat told police that he had been in this illegal business for more than two years, attracting between 10 and 20 customers each month.

“Most customers want certificates for completion of Mathayom 3 or Mathayom 6,” he said.

He said he had warned customers the degrees were forged and they risked being caught lying.

All four suspects have been charged with forging official documents.

They were sent to Bangkok’s Don Muang Police Station for further action.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30311832

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-10

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

I bet there's a lot of nervous farang english teachers at this time ......  :shock1:

not the farlang..... 

teachers with genuine Ed backgrounds create "staff issues" and usually all but instantly get run out... as often as not in tears.... for "sneaking smokes on campus" or whatever....  that is, even if they ever can be found in Thailand....

so..... the very best.... and almost just as cheap sources of proxy staff.... so civil service can have lighter schedules.. sometimes entire days off.... for the entire school year.... which is a very big thing.... do not discount this at all... not at all....

might be harder to find and get processed for a "teachers license"..... to show skeptical or complaining parents (skeptical or complaining for "some" reason)....

as well as what makes collecting Tea Money for the proxy staff... Thai and farlang.... easier to convince parents of... "native English speakers"....

and the farlang group doesn't ever need civil service status.....
just some visa renewals and other paperwork.

Edited by maewang99

15 minutes ago, maewang99 said:

not just the farlang..... the whole system.

they need fake teachers..... real ones create staff issues and usually all but instantly get run out... often in tears, if female.... for sneaking smokes on campus or ****something**** they can find...

but much more so.... the very best.... and almost just as cheap.... sources of proxy staff... so civil service can have lighter schedules.. sometimes entire days off....

might be harder to get processed for a "teachers license".... to show any skeptical or complaining parents.... for some reason....

as well as what makes collecting Tea Money for the proxy staff... Thai and farlang easier to convince parents of... "native English speakers"....

Is it possible to have this in comprehensible English please?

I bet there's a lot of nervous farang english teachers at this time ......  :shock1:

Why?
I don't think any "Farang Teachers" would have any need for a Thai degree certificate, fake or real, let alone a Matayom certificate!

2 hours ago, webfact said:

“Most customers want certificates for completion of Mathayom 3 or Mathayom 6,” he said.

It's not the foreigners driving demand then, which we were told recently was the case with fake brand name stuff.

1 hour ago, maewang99 said:

not the farlang..... 

teachers with genuine Ed backgrounds create "staff issues" and usually all but instantly get run out... as often as not in tears.... for "sneaking smokes on campus" or whatever....  that is, even if they ever can be found in Thailand....

so..... the very best.... and almost just as cheap sources of proxy staff.... so civil service can have lighter schedules.. sometimes entire days off.... for the entire school year.... which is a very big thing.... do not discount this at all... not at all....

might be harder to find and get processed for a "teachers license"..... to show skeptical or complaining parents (skeptical or complaining for "some" reason)....

as well as what makes collecting Tea Money for the proxy staff... Thai and farlang.... easier to convince parents of... "native English speakers"....

Is this a new language or what?

Actually, in the Western world they're called 'novelty degrees'. There's a disclaimer saying that the degrees are for novelty purposes only, and if you use them to try and obtain employment, you may be prosecuted by law. 

sold educational certificates for Bt3,500 for Mathayom 3

In the U.K is that the 11 plus exam? If you get top marks you have a chance of getting a scholarship to a fancy grammer school.

Obviously I didn't and ended up in a comprehensive where I comprehended nothing. Still have some great memories of that school and if I'd gone to grammer school I could be gay now and be shacked up with a man. So there are some downsides of buying a passed with excellence 11 plus certificate.

Is this a new language or what?

From this and a few other posts I have rather gathered he has something of a bee in his bonnet about NES teaching here.
Possibly he was unable to get a job. Cannot for the life of me imagine why!

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

4 down and how many to go.

I got my 2 out of a cornflakes packet back in the days.

A couple of years ago, out of curiosity I called one of the fake degree places I got from some junk email in my inbox here in the USA.   Reading the fine print and walking through what the "company" actually did, and talking with an agent, it was simple.  They make a real looking College Diploma, and for extra fees would even make up transcripts.  They apparently were not doing anything too illegal, because they were NOT representing you.  You the buyer would be the one saying "yes, I have these degrees and yes I took these courses" when you present them to a potential employer or whatever. 

16 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

In the U.K is that the 11 plus exam? If you get top marks you have a chance of getting a scholarship to a fancy grammer school.

Obviously I didn't and ended up in a comprehensive where I comprehended nothing. Still have some great memories of that school and if I'd gone to grammer school I could be gay now and be shacked up with a man. So there are some downsides of buying a passed with excellence 11 plus certificate.

Bit ironic you spelt 'grammar' wrong.

Do you teach English by any chance?

Bit ironic you spelt 'grammar' wrong.
Do you teach English by any chance?

Well I did say I went to comprehensive school.
As for spelling mistakes. The current device I'm using doesn't have an automatic spell checker. Because the gramm e r nazis that go on and on do. I have to admit that typing on to a tiny keypad with my fat fingers is a problem enough.

Just a thought. Are you a teacher? Because this is not your classroom its a public expat forum. How can you say it politely you know.

1 hour ago, Wilsonandson said:

Well I did say I went to comprehensive school.
As for spelling mistakes. The current device I'm using doesn't have an automatic spell checker. Because the gramm e r nazis that go on and on do. I have to admit that typing on to a tiny keypad with my fat fingers is a problem enough.

Just a thought. Are you a teacher? Because this is not your classroom its a public expat forum. How can you say it politely you know.

Wow. It went straight over your head didn't it.

I  would read again your last sentence.

1 hour ago, Wilsonandson said:

You seem to be mixing up Grammar schools with Public schools !