A General Note about Thai People

autanic

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As already mentioned ..some of the points are obvious and if you have a Thai partner she quickly makes you aware of some customs etc. 

Unfortunately cannot comment on past and current royal family ..

Sometimes we learn to accommodate them but they learn little in accommodating us ..no matter how many times I hold a door open for a Thai 99% of the time the just blank you ..as an example ..I live with their poor driving skills that results in 1000s of death each year  ..

Overall it is a continuous balance of acceptance and trying to add a view that will be seen to be constructive ..

Off you go and let those of us staying retain our own view of how to live in Thailand.

Edited by rmacee

As already mentioned ..some of the points are obvious and if you have a Thai partner she quickly makes you aware of some customs etc. 

Unfortunately cannot comment on past and current royal family ..

Sometimes we learn to accommodate them but they learn little in accommodating us ..no matter how many times I had a door open for a Thai 99% of the time the just blank you ..as an example ..I live with their poor driving skills that results in 1000s of death each year  ..

Overall it is a continuous balance of acceptance and trying to add a view that will be seen to be constructive ..

Off you go and let those of us staying retain our own view of how to live in Thailand.

7 hours ago, Ijustcashier said:

My GF writes and speaks English but if you don't know any bi lingual thais then request some one from juristic to accompany you as they are down at the land office frequently, just pass a crisp 1k note.

For those that are overseas juristic has a power of attorney form or you can just use the power of attorney yourself

. Why on earth would a thai that can read and write want an lawyer?

But hey you want rip up 20k go ahead knock yourself out!

Here is a good summary

" if Land Registry register the condo in your name then it is yours, no money is outstanding and the decision can't be challenged.

So if this is true then you can do it yourself - but you must speak excellent Thai.

My main things to look at are:

Don't pay any money before the papers are ready to be finalised at Land Registry, just show a bank cheque beforehand and hand it over on signing.

Make sure the condo you buy is the one you look at. All number on the papers are old Thai numbers.

Ask the condo management about outstanding fees, don't just rely on the condo form.

As said before ensure you have a Thai who speaks good English and Thai to help you and whom you trust. Tend to agree that rules out using a lawyer!

sellers of condos can be the same crooks as laywers, often the seller is not the real owner,  of course you need a reliable lawer, approved by your embassy, unless you can perfectly read  thai. if it turns out, your girlfriend is the new owner, police and judge will believe her, that it was a present.

5 hours ago, pattayahenry said:

sellers of condos can be the same crooks as laywers, often the seller is not the real owner,  of course you need a reliable lawer, approved by your embassy, unless you can perfectly read  thai. if it turns out, your girlfriend is the new owner, police and judge will believe her, that it was a present.

I tried telling him but some people think they are smarter than everybody else.

To a smart person spending 19000 baht is not a lot of money to make things ironclad.

6 hours ago, yogavnture said:

I would never take  a tuk tuk in bkk unless it was for a very short journey (bypassing the 35 baht taxi startup fee)  the tuk tuks pollute horribly and they rip off tourists

Tuk tuks charge more than 35 baht. Taxis are always cheaper. Only free hotel tuk tuks are worth taking.

Disagree on #1.  Thais are not that stupid.  If you are mimicking the movements of a wai to the royal family they know you are just pandering.  That only gets you brownie points if you speak fluent Thai and walk the talk and do not look like a tourist.  I have asked many Thais about this.  It's not not our country or our customs and they don't expect us to wai. 

The best advise I have gotten is don't even attempt to wai...ever.  Most will do it wrong and that just makes you look silly.  The worst are the guys who wai everyone.  Younger women, children.  Thais think those people are idiots.

Having said that, a slow genuine attempt to wai elderly Thai people (if you clearly mean it) might get you some brownie points in the right situation.  You should know how to do it right though.  It's not quite as simple as it looks.  Every little movement, the height of hands, it all matters.

Edited by lapd

8 minutes ago, lapd said:

Disagree on #1.  Thais are not that stupid.  If you are mimicking the movements of a wai to the royal family they know you are just pandering.  That only gets you brownie points if you speak fluent Thai and walk the talk and do not look like a tourist.  I have asked many Thais about this.  It's not not our country or our customs and they don't expect us to wai. 

The best advise I have gotten is don't even attempt to wai...ever.  Most will do it wrong and that just makes you look silly.  The worst are the guys who wai everyone.  Younger women, children.  Thais think those people are idiots.

Having said that, a slow genuine attempt to wai elderly Thai people (if you clearly mean it) might get you some brownie points in the right situation.  You should know how to do it right though.  It's not quite as simple as it looks.  Every little movement, the height of hands, it all matters.

You only wai relatives or close friends.

If you are doing the wai to randoms they will laugh at you.

Good advice.

However, I would recommend avoiding Tuk,Turks.

In a collision they offer little protection.

You inhale toxic exhaust fumes.

There are many scammers that will run you here and there to different stores for a commission on sales.