Reciving money from abroad

My US banks transfer funds to my NY Bkk Bank account at no charge... usually takes about three business days for the funds to appear in my account here. I have "missed" a couple of Thai bank holidays and wondered about the delay.
I can request "express" handling for next business day transfer for $3.00. The only other charge I have noticed is Bkk Bank's conversion fee, which seems pretty nominal.
It seems the simplest and least costly method I have seen.

Edited by Bill Miller

13 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

I bank with USB in NY, but what Bill Miller says above makes me think that even the $25per transfer is excessive. 

Bangkok Bank draws money using ACH.  I avoid allowing banks or anyone to draw funds from my bank account utilizing ACH.  When allowing ACH they could empty your bank account including the ready reserve account.  I had that happen once and it was very time consuming getting the funds back.

3 hours ago, faraday said:

I want to transfer a sizeable amount from my uk bank account, but surely the banks give a low conversion rate, & this would be quite considerable on a large transaction?

Transferwise seems to be ok.....?

also look at smart currency exchange which is UK based

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Taka Wen said:

Xendpay.... Not trustworthy at all!! Poor service and very bad customer care!! 15 days and no one could tell me about my money transfer!! Because of this so called "confidentiality", nobody was wiling to help me track the payment. They play with your money when they don't simply steal it... look over the internet and you'll find the truth about this company!!! First and last time with XENDPAY. I advice you all to stay away from them.

I'm sorry to read your experience with Xendpay. I use them now twice a month since I receive pension from two countries. My last pension I transferred on the 16th of May at 17:10 local Thai time and I received money in my Bangkok Bank account on the 18th at 14:02. That took 33 hours.

1 hour ago, Taka Wen said:

Xendpay.... Not trustworthy at all!! Poor service and very bad customer care!! 15 days and no one could tell me about my money transfer!! Because of this so called "confidentiality", nobody was wiling to help me track the payment. They play with your money when they don't simply steal it... look over the internet and you'll find the truth about this company!!! First and last time with XENDPAY. I advice you all to stay away from them.

you need to find the email address of the CEO or someone high up .... then send them an email with your complaint and threaten to raise the issue with your associate high up in the banking industry ... 

anyway, 15 days is ridiculous ...  did you get the transfer done  ??

9 hours ago, steven100 said:

you need to find the email address of the CEO or someone high up .... then send them an email with your complaint and threaten to raise the issue with your associate high up in the banking industry ... 

anyway, 15 days is ridiculous ...  did you get the transfer done  ??

The man behind it is actually a Mayor of London Deputy.

Rajesh Agrawal

https://www.london.gov.uk/people/mayoral

2 minutes ago, gennisis said:

Bangkok Bank in London.

Does it use my Thai account Number and local branch code for transfers

I want to transfer some money and I ask this because I dont have a Bangkok Bank UK account

I have used them in the past and do not have a Bangkok Bank UK account, transfer money from my UK bank account Bangkok bank London, they then transfer the money to my Bangkok bank account in Thailand, used to have all the information needed on Bangkok banks website but don't know if it is still there

10 minutes ago, gennisis said:

Bangkok Bank in London.

Does it use my Thai account Number and local branch code for transfers

I want to transfer some money and I ask this because I dont have a Bangkok Bank UK account

You can't get an account with Bangkok Bank (BB) UK, they don't have a retail banking license. What you can do is to make a transfer from your regular UK high street bank, to BB London, using the BB UK sort code and your BB Thailand account number. That transfer will then get routed to BB London who will transfer your funds to Thailand, into your BB Thailand account.

7 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

You can't get an account with Bangkok Bank (BB) UK, they don't have a retail banking license. What you can do is to make a transfer from your regular UK high street bank, to BB London, using the BB UK sort code and your BB Thailand account number. That transfer will then get routed to BB London who will transfer your funds to Thailand, into your BB Thailand account.

Other banks may prove less expensive. HSBC charge £4 and Halifax Bank £9.50. Send in Pounds, not Baht.

Bangkok Bank charge £20 and then of course the Thailand bank from 200 to 500 baht to receive.

Transferwise or XendPay should offer a better deal.