Re-entry Permit SCAM - don't fall for it

3 minutes ago, Bundaberg Baxter said:

200 baht for filling out a form that asks for your name, address, passport and entry history etc, that's worth about 30 baht, 200 baht is half a days work, not four minutes.

What part of a nominal charge for emergency service to enable urgent travel is going over your pretty little head?

Typically, the desk isn't busy during the week since regular travelers have taken the time to get their re-entry permit at their local immigration office but it does tend to see more customers at weekends.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 2

if it was 'urgent' you have not left enough time to get to the gate, if that was the case how can they fill a form out with all you details faster than you can? it's a service you certainly can do without and getting them to fill out a form is likely to slow things down, a lot of people would have downloaded it and filled it in before they get there, if they have 10 minutes to spare

Edited by Bundaberg Baxter
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, c0der said:

They are not the only 2 options. You can get the Re-entry Permit at the airport without needing to pay the 200 THB fee.

How? As you've already stated, the government official is behind a wall and there's no access to him/her. I applied for a re-entry permit at the airport and there appeared to be no other option but to pay the fee.

• Like 1

Everyone I know buys at the least a single Re-Entry Permit at the same time they get a new VISA or an extension of one. Most get a multiple Re-Entry Permit. FYI the "Residence Certificate" also has a local fee attached to what is in fact a free service. This is the third world folks. Get your Health Insurance and then get back to us with this 200 Baht complaint stuff. God Bless You.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, c0der said:

Based on your thinking, shouldn't it be  written everywhere that there is an additional fee if applying for a re-entry permit at the airport? The AOT Re-Entry Visa web page only states the official 1k and 3.8k THB fees for the permits. This implies that the extra 200 THB is unofficial. Note though that the office location next to the Customs Inspection office as shown on that page has been closed (for renovation?). Was the additional 200 THB fee charged there?

It has bugger all to do with my thinking; the 200 baht surcharge has been there since time immemorial.

Well done for pulling a scam out of your ar5e but I only give you 3 out of 10 for value. You really must try harder.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Bundaberg Baxter said:

I would never trust them to be open anyway, the risk is too great so get one before. This should be reported of course., but filming it and putting on fb always seems to work better!

agreed  name and shame seem to be the only thing that works on thais--do it

• Like 1

was at CM immigration today--ONE damn girl checking everyones

paperwork....really..on a monday???

the kid next to me had too small a pic--they denied him--he had to

pay 200 baht for new one...i had it done at the local shop--12 pics for 7 baht!

Needless to say that photo guy is making a killing--welcome to thailand!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

How? As you've already stated, the government official is behind a wall and there's no access to him/her. I applied for a re-entry permit at the airport and there appeared to be no other option but to pay the fee.

I emphasize your use of the word "appeared ". The lack of option is just an illusion that has been cleverly fabricated. But now that you are armed with specific information that I have outlined, you can work around it.

In particular, the desk is not the official re-entry permit desk, and the attendants are not government officers. It is a private business that provides a service for a fee. You have a right not to use the service. Government officers have no right to force you to use the services of a private business before doing something for you, just as they cannot demand that you buy something at a shop before allowing you through immigration.

So only speak with real government officers. There would be some hanging around keeping watch of the queues. Get their attention by calling them. Ask for a form if you hadn't filled one beforehand. There is a desk where you can sit and write outside the "no entry" gate. The gate is not locked, so you can open it and hand the form to the officer behind the wall for processing.

Edited by c0der
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, c0der said:

The lack of option is just an illusion that has been cleverly fabricated.

And your lack of a straight answer as to whether or not you have successfully circumvented yet another heinous farang rip-off is not so cleverly being avoided.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Everyone I know buys at the least a single Re-Entry Permit at the same time they get a new VISA or an extension of one. Most get a multiple Re-Entry Permit. FYI the "Residence Certificate" also has a local fee attached to what is in fact a free service. This is the third world folks. Get your Health Insurance and then get back to us with this 200 Baht complaint stuff. God Bless You.

The residency cert is free, I did not pay for mine, some mugs do though and that is just another little brick in the corruption wall. Why pay for something you do not need to? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, elviajero said:

No. It's not a scam. It's an optional service and worth 200 Baht!

Not sure that it's worth 200 baht to fill in a couple of forms, in a country where the daily wage is only 300 baht. The land transport department charged me only 10 Baht for a similar service. 

Airports have a captive audience, so profiteer on pretty much everything they sell.

Edited by dbrenn

myself, I am going to do a  3-week trip to visit my girlfriend by June this year. Then by October, I will again enter Thailand for a four month stay.

I am on a One-Year permit of stay on retirement purposes.  During my last extension in January, I wanted to save money and left the extension procedure with an only single re-entry permit.  So if I want to keep my extension live, i will have to buy another re-entry permit before I leave Thailand in June.

I got two choices:  Buy the re-rentry permit at the airport and pay 2100 THB, or do a 140 Kilometer trip by my own car to visit Sisaket Immigration, for a re-entry permit stamp at 1900 THB.

I guess you don't ask me why & which option I will choose to be the better one

Edited by crazygreg44

11 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

myself, I am going to do a  3-week trip to visit my girlfriend by June this year. Then by October, I will again enter Thailand for a four month stay.

I am on a One-Year permit of stay on retirement purposes.  During my last extension in January, I wanted to save money and left the extension procedure with an only single re-entry permit.  So if I want to keep my extension live, i will have to buy another re-entry permit before I leave Thailand in June.

I got two choices:  Buy the re-rentry permit at the airport and pay 2100 THB, or do a 140 Kilometer trip by my own car to visit Sisaket Immigration, for a re-entry permit stamp at 1900 THB.

I guess you don't ask me why & which option I will choose to be the better one

You confusing the extension fee of 1900 baht with the fee for a single re-entry permit is only 1000 baht.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bundaberg Baxter said:

The residency cert is free, I did not pay for mine, some mugs do though and that is just another little brick in the corruption wall. Why pay for something you do not need to? 

But you aren't exactly 'fighting corruption' are you? You are simply benefiting from a domicile that happens to be in an Immigration jurisdiction that chooses to issue them at no charge.