The worst

krobert6

6 hours ago, berybert said:

If you don't like the culture............................. and don't let the door slap your butt on the way out.

Umm plenty of Thais think it's dangerous and stupid. Since when do locals like 100% of things that go on?

8 hours ago, berybert said:

If you don't like the culture............................. and don't let the door slap your butt on the way out.

You think this is a cultural issue :/ ? lol I think the door hit your head on the way in

Edited by krobert6

Back in America see most people not wearing helmets when bike riding. I don't recommend it and it's not much different than this situation with the trucks. Not much you can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, berybert said:

Not that old chestnut? How about yes I do like the culture and I care for peoples lives and I don't want people to die. The picture has nothing to do with culture. It is breaking the law and has no regards for other peoples safety. It is often the way some TV posters rhetoric of if you don't like it then go home. Well that attitude I am afraid is boring, lacks creativity and shows a lack of caring and intellect.

Besides that have a happy Songkran and I hope you don't get caught behind the truck in the picture and someone falls off and goes under your car. Who would be to blame?

11 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Not that old chestnut? How about yes I do like the culture and I care for peoples lives and I don't want people to die. The picture has nothing to do with culture. It is breaking the law and has no regards for other peoples safety. It is often the way some TV posters rhetoric of if you don't like it then go home. Well that attitude I am afraid is boring, lacks creativity and shows a lack of caring and intellect.

Besides that have a happy Songkran and I hope you don't get caught behind the truck in the picture and someone falls off and goes under your car. Who would be to blame?

Your comments reek of self-righteous indignation.  We all know why Thais ride this way, it's about inexpensive transport.  Those of us who can afford to drive in our own cars wouldn't think to travel this way, but it's how others do.  It's not about having disregard for others' safety.  You're being smugly moralistic, which is so typical.

But let's see if safety is really your concern.  Have you ever ridden a red songthaew truck?  It's really the same thing.  I've seen many farangs ride songthaews, every single day.  So when you see people--Thai and foreigners alike--get on a songthaew, do you rush over to prevent them from getting on, for the sake of their own safety?  Or are you just a coward?  I'm betting on the latter. 

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Stuff like that is why I like Thailand- BECAUSE it isn't regulated up the ying yang like the place I come from. It's down to the individual as to what they do. None of the people on the back of that pickup HAD to be there- no chains that I can see.

Regulate the traffic and soon they'll be regulating everything and then it'll be just like back home and what would be the point of even bothering to go there?

The beaches used to be the thing for me, but now all the decent ones are ruined by concrete, so if they make it just like back home I wouldn't be going there anymore.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Stuff like that is why I like Thailand- BECAUSE it isn't regulated up the ying yang like the place I come from. It's down to the individual as to what they do. None of the people on the back of that pickup HAD to be there- no chains that I can see.

Regulate the traffic and soon they'll be regulating everything and then it'll be just like back home and what would be the point of even bothering to go there?

The beaches used to be the thing for me, but now all the decent ones are ruined by concrete, so if they make it just like back home I wouldn't be going there anymore.

Then you may just have to find another country where life is cheap.  There are more likely there because they have no other means of transport.

Edited by krobert6

3 hours ago, Berkshire said:

We all know why Thais ride this way, it's about inexpensive transport.  Those of us who can afford to drive in our own cars wouldn't think to travel this way, but it's how others do.  It's not about having disregard for others' safety. 

Inexpensive transport? Sorry, but this is not necessarily true all the time. Thais, like anybody else, are adaptable and resourcful, so if forced to find safer transport, they would come up with a way. Things like this happen - in many instances that I've witnessed - to suit lazy adults who care more for their own convenience than the protection of precious young lives (and let's not get into the argument of the standards they set for young minds). 

"It's not about having disregard for others' safety." -- Oh dear, that's precisely what it is. Nothing more, nothing less. 

23 minutes ago, krobert6 said:

Then you may just have to find another country where life is cheap.  There are more likely there because they have no other means of transport.

It could well have been greed from the driver .

Squeezing in as many people as possible and making higher profits

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Which beaches have concrete sitting on them? And swimming, surfing, walking on the sand or laying about are the main activities. If you are going to places to avoid concrete just walk into the bush near your house.

Edited by BigKahuna

9 hours ago, kannot said:

Send it to the BKK Post

I would send a copy to Mr. Prayut Chan Ocha !

He always takes straight action. He really cares for the people.

Have fun....

Edited by Halfaboy
spelling

Lots of pick up apologist on TV.. Let them be.. They are poor.. It's not fair.

The center of gravity would be quite high so the slightest aggressive maneuver would roll it.

Had a small taste of it in the baht bus jomtien doing about 30k to a full stop as a little kid ran across the road.

Every one was on the floor and on top of each other. One thai girl did her leg in and had to be carried off the bus. And that was low speed!!

16 hours ago, krobert6 said:

You think this is a cultural issue :/ ? lol I think the door hit your head on the way in

Sorry I should have put a silly face on my post. Trouble is I always expect people to know when I'm taking the pish.

Do I think 30 people in a pick up is culture. Oh my.

On 4/12/2017 at 1:34 AM, berybert said:

I love thailand and many things about it,  ok some things are not correct and silly but there's a damn lot of stupid things happen in Australia.

I wouldn't be anywhere else.

23 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

... The picture has nothing to do with culture. It is breaking the law and has no regards for other peoples safety.

But culturally, the pervasive attitude, greatly enabled by minimal law enforcement in LOS, is that breaking the law is acceptable.

The lack of concern for other people's safety is also culturally acceptable.

As countless mother's admonished since time immemorial, "It's all good fun until someone loses an eye."

Edited by NanLaew

On 4/12/2017 at 0:24 PM, Dexlowe said:

"It's not about having disregard for others' safety." -- Oh dear, that's precisely what it is. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Do you even read the post that you respond to?  Perhaps you have reading comprehension issues.  I ask again, have you ever ridden a red songthaew truck?  Should they be outlawed?

On 4/12/2017 at 9:09 AM, Berkshire said:

Have you ever ridden a red songthaew truck?  It's really the same thing.  I've seen many farangs ride songthaews, every single day

Yes many many times in my early days here but knowing the way they are driven, how many people get on them, I do not anymore. The Songthaews are not usually full as your picture but they are still dangerous in my opinion, You say you see many westerners ride like this everyday. Where is this. I use to see it in Pattaya but now with the new regulations, I rarely see this. In Bangkok, Never.. My point was that these are dangerous and the way Thai's drive them are potentially hazardous.