The worst

krobert6

3 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Yes many many times in my early days here but knowing the way they are driven, how many people get on them, I do not anymore. The Songthaews are not usually full as your picture but they are still dangerous in my opinion, You say you see many westerners ride like this everyday. Where is this. I use to see it in Pattaya but now with the new regulations, I rarely see this. In Bangkok, Never.. My point was that these are dangerous and the way Thai's drive them are potentially hazardous.

Songthaews are plentiful in Chiang Mai and they're pretty much the way most tourists travel, as well as locals.  They're all over the place.  I personally can't stand them as they tend to clog up traffic, but I understand that it's how many folks travel.   

21 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

Why,   were they forced into that truck against their will or something?

Forced by circumstance.  Apart from the boys mucking around at the back ro you think they look happy to be there ?

6 minutes ago, krobert6 said:

Forced by circumstance.  Apart from the boys mucking around at the back ro you think they look happy to be there ?

About as happy as me on a crowded subway or dealing with all the de-humanizing crap you gotta go through for an intl flight...maybe happier, kinda depends on where they're going. Nothing shameful going on unless they're being trafficked or something.

If the family is so big why not invest in a "caravan" passenger van? Are they anymore expensive than a pickup truck?

At least you have more safety features, ie. seats & seat-belts, even a roof for those rainy days!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Somewhere, on a secret forum for billionaires only, they're ragging on those of us who don't have armored limo's and military trained drivers for our loved ones.

Generally, you go for all the safety you can afford.  The fact that it differs for many of us doesn't make them any "less than" in any measure other than wealth.

48 minutes ago, TumblinDice said:

If the family is so big why not invest in a "caravan" passenger van? Are they anymore expensive than a pickup truck?

At least you have more safety features, ie. seats & seat-belts, even a roof for those rainy days!

The vehicles serve double duty- hauling tools and products for work, and hauling the extended family around when they're not working.  

Besides, my pickup (2nd hand) cost me about 1/3 of what a cheap 2nd hand van would have cost (edit:  I would have preferred a van, but not at that cost differential), and just about the same as a new model mid-range scooter.

Edited by impulse

Kind of ironic how family is #1 but they risk it all when it comes to road sense. Can remove the seats when necessary. Whats difficult about that? Takes 20-30 minutes with a socket set. Plan ahead & arrive alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

If you don't like the culture............................. and don't let the door slap your butt on the way out.

What a ridiculous and disgraceful thing to say. Do you think all Thai people think that is ok of course not. And I would quite happily go with out all the things I like about Thailand it means that most of the 28000 who die on the roads here survived. More pictures like that on the internet will put pressure on the government and police to do something.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, juice777 said:

What a ridiculous and disgraceful thing to say. Do you think all Thai people think that is ok of course not. And I would quite happily go with out all the things I like about Thailand it means that most of the 28000 who die on the roads here survived. More pictures like that on the internet will put pressure on the government and police to do something.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, juice777 said:

Yes because Thai culture is all about how many people you can cram in to the back of a pickup truck.

Wouldn't it be nice if people understood scarcasm.

Edited by berybert

• 5 months later...
Stuff like that is why I like Thailand- BECAUSE it isn't regulated up the ying yang like the place I come from. It's down to the individual as to what they do. None of the people on the back of that pickup HAD to be there- no chains that I can see.
Regulate the traffic and soon they'll be regulating everything and then it'll be just like back home and what would be the point of even bothering to go there?
The beaches used to be the thing for me, but now all the decent ones are ruined by concrete, so if they make it just like back home I wouldn't be going there anymore.

Thailand IS regulated very strongly. Just in a different way. Free speech is one area where you, yes you, don't dare open your mouth.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, bheard said:

So?

So, we've all moved on and a new law was announced that passengers can not be carried in the back of a pick-up now.

The police will be doing their usual sterling work, so we are unlikely to see anything like the photo in the OP ever again.

:whistling:

So, we've all moved on and a new law was announced that passengers can not be carried in the back of a pick-up now.

The police will be doing their usual sterling work, so we are unlikely to see anything like the photo in the OP ever again.

:whistling:

As you say, whistling. Still see plenty of trucks up country with people in 'em, as well as people riding motosy not wearing helmets, 5 people on motosy etc etc.