Windows doesn't detect network adapter

janclaes47

I have the motherboard Asus E35M1-M, which I think works well.

I do a new windows 7 install, while connected to the Ethernet during install, but at the end of the install windows say there is no Ethernet adapter installed.

The lights on the Ethernet port are blinking all the time and my Ethernet switch detects a connected device.

I try manually install the Realtek drivers for the adapter that is on the board, but to no avail.

I remove the motherboard from the PC and travel to a IT shop in Tukcom Sri racha. He connects windows on USB drive and windows detects a adapter and he can browse internet.

So I come back home, install in the pc again and use a different Windows ISO to reinstall, but still no adapter detected.

Now I go buy a TP-Link PCI Ethernet card and install on the board. Lights blinking but no adapter detected.

Again I use a different ISO to do a install, again no adapter detected.

What is going on?

Just now, johng said:

Bad lan cable or port on the switch /switch bad

Just now, johng said:

Try also a different PCI slot

All those suggestions and more tried umpteen times, definitely none of the adapters are faulty, otherwise the IT shop would not be able to connect to the internet using a USB drive Windows

Device manager sees now 2 Ethernet adapters, both with the yellow triangle.

When click driver update, i get within a second the pop up, Windows was unable to find driver software for your device

Have you tried deleting the drivers before rebooting?

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

Have you downloaded the ethernet drivers from Asus or Realtek? They should be sourced from Asus.

If so, I'm out of ideas.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

I downloaded drivers from every possible source

Just now, Peterw42 said:

Is there an Ethernet port built into the motherboard ? if so, there may be a conflict with the PCI ethernet. 

The built in Ethernet port gives the same result, that's why I bought the PCI card.

Lights flashing but no adapter visible in Network Center.

Take note the guy at Tukcom inserted a USB drive with windows OS installed on the drive, and used the built in Ethernet port to connect to the internet.

Just now, janclaes47 said:

I downloaded drivers from every possible source

The built in Ethernet port gives the same result, that's why I bought the PCI card.

Lights flashing but no adapter visible in Network Center.

Take note the guy at Tukcom inserted a USB drive with windows OS installed on the drive, and used the built in Ethernet port to connect to the internet.

Yes, apologies I didn't read it correctly. It may require asus drivers via another computer, specifically for windows 7, Was the tukom techs copy of windows 7 ? 

Just now, Peterw42 said:

Yes, apologies I didn't read it correctly. It may require asus drivers via another computer, specifically for windows 7, Was the tukom techs copy of windows 7 ? 

Yes it was a Windows 7 copy.

I have downloaded the drives from the Asus site, obviously from another pc since this one can't connect to the internet, and also use the tried the drivers on the CD that came with the motherboard.

4 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Yes it was a Windows 7 copy.

I have downloaded the drives from the Asus site, obviously from another pc since this one can't connect to the internet, and also use the tried the drivers on the CD that came with the motherboard.

Ok, sounds like you have tried most things, I was going to suggest check in bios but he techs copy worked ok. It really defies logic, given that everything is the same. Have you looked at hidden devices ? view/show hidden, maybe a conflicting  network device.

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Ok, sounds like you have tried most things, I was going to suggest check in bios but he techs copy worked ok. It really defies logic, given that everything is the same. Have you looked at hidden devices ? view/show hidden, maybe a conflicting  network device.

Nothing connected to the MB, and in BIOS Ethernet adapter is enabled.

I even switched PSU this afternoon.

Edited by janclaes47

I was looking at the asus site and the NIC is a realtek chipset, maybe you could have better luck with a driver straight from realtek. Realtek 8111E PCI-E Ethernet Controller.

1 minute ago, janclaes47 said:

Been there, done that.

lol, you have tried everything. I worked in a computer repair shop for years, something about this fault is niggling in the deep memory, when I recall it at 4am, I will post, lol 

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

lol, you have tried everything. I worked in a computer repair shop for years, something about this fault is niggling in the deep memory, when I recall it at 4am, I will post, lol 

I can select all the drivers from the Windows driver source, so they are included in my OS, but Windows doesn't recognize any of the 2 hardware devices.

That both have the blinking lights, and that my network switch detects whe I connect and disconnect, would make it obvious that they are functioning.

Edited by janclaes47

2 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

32 bit, and on the MB install cd you can select both versions.

So vica versa, maybe try a 64 bit windows install, 64 bit drivers etc, maybe the MB is more set up for 64bit and the techs copy was 64 bit.

Do yourself a big favor and buy a USB wireless dongle for a few baht only. Buy one that comes with an installation CD and you'll have internet and be online. 

Then you'll find the culprit in a second. 

wireless USB.jpg

12 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

I can select all the drivers from the Windows driver source, so they are included in my OS, but Windows doesn't recognize any of the 2 hardware devices.

That both have the blinking lights, and that my network switch detects whe I connect and disconnect, would make it obvious that they are functioning.

Forget the Windows drivers. Go for Realtek, but choose the right source ( for your motherboard) and please use a wireless USB dongle, problem solved. 

5 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

And how would a wireless dongle find the problem?

Dude, once you've got internet, download the right Realtek driver and your system's working. 

The USB stick only gives you access to the internet and that's what you need to solve your problem(s).

Please post if it's not working. Stop wasting your time with new and reinstalls. 

But my first bet reading your story was a faulty LAN cable. Are you sure????

Edited by ajarngreg

8 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

So vica versa, maybe try a 64 bit windows install, 64 bit drivers etc, maybe the MB is more set up for 64bit and the techs copy was 64 bit.

The MB has worked for years with server 2003 installed and later with Windows 7 x32, you think it changed gender?

1 minute ago, ajarngreg said:

Dude, once you've got  internet, download the right Realtek driver and your system's working. 

Dude, I would assume that on the install cd that came with the MB the right drivers are included, and with another PC I can download any driver that is available on the web.

2 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

Dude, once you've got internet, download the right Realtek driver and your system's working. 

The USB stick only gives you access to the internet and that's what you need to solve your problem(s).

OP says he got all the drivers from asus and realtek using another computer and still has same problem

Just now, Peterw42 said:

OP says he got all the drivers from asus and realtek using another computer and still has same problem

If the guy at the PC shop can get it online, it must be something with his LAN cable, or router. But trying a USB dongle would show you a lot.

I'm not sure how good the OP is.