How two retired Thais have reinvented their lifestyles
By CHULARAT SAENGPASSA
THE NATION

4d0f3bf60aac428215885326acdc2285.jpeg

Kanjana Panthutaecha

992cac6603be733e99fbe13d29478756.jpeg

Narong Tiemmek

Narong, 72, and Kanjana, 64, show how elderly life can be meaningful

BANGKOK: -- AS THAIS look forward to a much longer life span, they should take steps to ensure that they can enjoy a good quality of life in their retirement. 

Narong Tiemmek is 72 years old and still going strong. In his retirement, Narong relishes reading books, hanging out with people his age to do various activities, and working out. 

“I am a member of a senior-citizen club. We have had many activities to do,” he said.

Being a former vice president of Mooban Chombueng Rajabhat University in Ratchaburi province and initiator of the Chombueng Marathon, Narong has been an inspiring figure. 

In his 70s, he keeps a healthy and fruitful lifestyle. Due to regular exercise, he has been in good health. He has had no problems with blood pressure, heart function, or diabetes. He has also found peace and wider perspectives from his favourite sport – running. 

“When I jog alone, I spend time with myself. I am conscious of my every move. I enjoy concentration. Running or jogging is good for me, both physically and spiritually,” Narong said.

When he started marathon running, he met a huge crowd of runners from a wide range of age groups and backgrounds. Interaction with them has expanded his horizons. 

“Running gives me a new life. It has short-term, medium-term and long-term benefits,” he said. 

On a short run (of at least 40 minutes), running helps release endorphins in his body, relieving stress and increasing happiness. On a “medium” run, his body grows stronger and allows him to work with greater efficiency. And on a long run, of many kilometres, he can avoid health problems too. 

“That’s how I can be a senior citizen enjoying a good quality of life,” Narong said. 

Seeing the world

Kanjana Panthutaecha has become a famous backpacker and blogger in her 60s, setting an example for many other Thais.

She tells inspiring stories on social media and shares her views through many media interviews. She believes that senior citizens should not just spend time at home “withering” their days away. 

Aged 64, she has celebrated life after retirement with many journeys to destinations, both domestic and overseas, which she finds appealing. 

Married with two grown-up children, she has found happiness in researching information on interesting places, planning trips and exploring the world. 

“It’s better to go out and see the big world, than living a dull life,” she said in one interview. “I know people would be worried about their safety when they go out in unfamiliar places. I am worried too but that makes me plan well and take precautions. There is a way to travel safely and happily.” 

Instead of staying at home, she has stepped out of the box and travelled extensively, sometimes with a companion or two, and sometimes alone. 

Narong and Kanjana have become new role models for Thailand’s greying population. The typical view that elderly people should be devoted grandparents who only stay at home is now eroding. 

The government is busy trying to empower and energise elderly Thais. Across the county, about 45 schools have been set up with a mission to keep the elderly happy, healthy and financially independent. 

In Kanchanaburi’s Tha Maka district, the Elderly School of Tambon Nong Larn Administrative Organisation conducts classes every other Wednesday for 140 senior citizens. At the classes, older citizens meet with people their own age and learn useful things to enhance their lives. 

There are classes about morality, civic duties, nutrition, local wisdom (such as traditional Thai medicine), healthcare, and vocational skills, plus recreational activities. The school has also organised teacher visits and educational trips. 

“We focus on teaching what the elderly will need for their life and their good health. We also focus on responding to the individual needs of the elderly,” Naratip Suparan, a deputy mayor of the Tambon Nong Larn Administrative Organisation and its elderly school’s deputy director, said. 

# This is the second part of a series on elderly Thais’ livelihoods to mark National Elderly Day today.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30312209

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-13

Running is NOT a  good exercise, swimming much better, culture here seems to think youve had it at 50 and expect the kids to pay you monthly in your "old age"

Edited by kannot

And in his leisure hours he helps at the poor peoples soup kitchens and attends temple every day to pray for world peace.

Good on him.And his magnanimity knows no bounds. He has recently given his 84 year old servant of 50 years, and the servants wife, week ends off. What a guy!

Edited by Khon Kaen Dave
punctuation error

15 hours ago, kannot said:

Running is NOT a  good exercise, swimming much better, culture here seems to think youve had it at 50 and expect the kids to pay you monthly in your "old age"

Wow! What an astonishing comment to make regarding running. I sir, am 71. I have been a runner since I was 15. Two to three times a week, month in - year out. I am fit, drink moderately (now I am older), eat reasonably healthily, both Thai food, (90%) and western food. I weigh 70Kilos. I don't smoke now, having given it up when I was in my twenties. I have no ailments, and my blood pressure, checked regularly as necessary, is normal. I have a number of interests and activities to occupy my time and a young family that helps to keep me feeling young.

I applaud this Thai guy - who is my age. I agree with everything he says regarding running. I too enjoy the solitude of running. I am able to think clearly, work my way through problems, plan my life, routines and relieve any stress or pressure that may trouble me from time to time.

Far from criticizing the exercise of running, you should be able to determine that this form of interest may be of benefit to many peoples around the world, not just here in Thailand and lastly, while I do not know why you dislike the idea of running as an occupational health asset or your age, weight, etc., why not give it a try and watch the improvements to your own lifestyle.

Finally, I know that my running days are limited. Wear on my knees will determine the age I quit. After that? Why - walking around my favourite running venues, of course!

10 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

Wow! What an astonishing comment to make regarding running. I sir, am 71. I have been a runner since I was 15. Two to three times a week, month in - year out. I am fit, drink moderately (now I am older), eat reasonably healthily, both Thai food, (90%) and western food. I weigh 70Kilos. I don't smoke now, having given it up when I was in my twenties. I have no ailments, and my blood pressure, checked regularly as necessary, is normal. I have a number of interests and activities to occupy my time and a young family that helps to keep me feeling young.

I applaud this Thai guy - who is my age. I agree with everything he says regarding running. I too enjoy the solitude of running. I am able to think clearly, work my way through problems, plan my life, routines and relieve any stress or pressure that may trouble me from time to time.

Far from criticizing the exercise of running, you should be able to determine that this form of interest may be of benefit to many peoples around the world, not just here in Thailand and lastly, while I do not know why you dislike the idea of running as an occupational health asset or your age, weight, etc., why not give it a try and watch the improvements to your own lifestyle.

Finally, I know that my running days are limited. Wear on my knees will determine the age I quit. After that? Why - walking around my favourite running venues, of course!

I too jog and have been doing so for decades.  It's about the best exercise for cardio health...IMHO.  There are other ways to exercise and I've done them all, but running is an essential part of a solid exercise regimen.  I have a friend or two who criticizes running and I find that they do so for one reason--they don't like to run. 

8 hours ago, Bundooman said:

You'd   still have  good    joints if  you'd  been swimming

8 hours ago, Berkshire said:

I too jog and have been doing so for decades.  It's about the best exercise for cardio health...IMHO.  There are other ways to exercise and I've done them all, but running is an essential part of a solid exercise regimen.  I have a friend or two who criticizes running and I find that they do so for one reason--they don't like to run. 

Joints can be a reason.. I just don't run because I can do stuff like rowing or on a elliptical.  But I hate cardo (i do it but I hate it) i like the lifting of weights more. But whatever you do as long as you like it its good because if you hate an exercise your less likely to do it and consistency is key to good exercise. 

23 minutes ago, kannot said:

You'd   still have  good    joints if  you'd  been swimming

Swimming does not really raise the heart rate a lot.. but your right no joint stress. Not sure its real good cardio if it does not raise the heart-rate much. Maybe if you do crawl sprints or something. 

9 hours ago, Bundooman said:
  On 4/13/2017 at 3:32 PM, kannot said:

I am 79 and still waiting for my first dime from my kids. All I get is "Gee dad we would feel bad if you died and left us nothing" Coming to Thailand really opened my eyes. I think my will needs some rearranging. 

36 minutes ago, robblok said:

Swimming does not really raise the heart rate a lot.. but your right no joint stress. Not sure its real good cardio if it does not raise the heart-rate much. Maybe if you do crawl sprints or something. 

How many calories does the mattress mambo burn just asking. Heart rate breathing. Unfortunately I cannot swim 

Edited by elgordo38

7 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

How many calories does the mattress mambo burn just asking. Heart rate breathing. Unfortunately I cannot swim 

I have no idea.. but its enjoyable.. so just do it a lot.. who knows it might help you to stay in shape.. but if not its still fun trying :smile:

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Joints can be a reason.. I just don't run because I can do stuff like rowing or on a elliptical.  But I hate cardo (i do it but I hate it) i like the lifting of weights more. But whatever you do as long as you like it its good because if you hate an exercise your less likely to do it and consistency is key to good exercise. 

There are certain exercises/machines (e.g., treadmill) that put less stress on your knees.  But it doesn't give you as good a cardio workout as actually running.  I'm not obsessed with jogging and certainly don't do it every day.  But it's something that I force myself to do as it can prevent a host of ailments, including diabetes, heart disease, Alzheimer's, etc.  I also do strength exercises, sit-ups, etc.  But you're right, consistency is key.  If you force yourself to do something--even if you hate it--it actually becomes much more bearable after awhile. 

8 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

There are certain exercises/machines (e.g., treadmill) that put less stress on your knees.  But it doesn't give you as good a cardio workout as actually running.  I'm not obsessed with jogging and certainly don't do it every day.  But it's something that I force myself to do as it can prevent a host of ailments, including diabetes, heart disease, Alzheimer's, etc.  I also do strength exercises, sit-ups, etc.  But you're right, consistency is key.  If you force yourself to do something--even if you hate it--it actually becomes much more bearable after awhile. 

I am not sure that the treadmill is that much worse as running.. put it on an incline and its harder then running. But in the end you need to find something you like. 

I have more then a few options in my home gym, my rower or my elliptical  but currently I am trying complexes (set of barbel exercises) more akin to HIIT gives me a good cardio workout too while doing something that i like doing lifting weights (although considerably lighter as I am used too)

I workout to relieve stress keep in shape.. and keep my body and mind healthy. But it needs more then just working out healthy food is part of it too.  

On 13/04/2017 at 2:21 PM, thaipod said:

This is what Thailand needs for the growing elderly population more clubs and recreational activities with regular outings

That`s what we all need. People should get off their backsides more instead of making facebook the mainstream of their social activities and learn to interact in the real world. We can create our own recreational activities, all it needs is for people to be sociable and to get involved with Thai and expat communities. It`s really not that difficult, only a matter of having the right attitudes instead of distancing themselves and keeping others at bay as many expats do when they come to Thailand. 

There is no point in creating more clubs and activities if people are not willing to become active members and get involved.

Running is not for everyone. I damaged my back after jogging for 5 years , I spent good money on my running shoes , still my lower back had enough .  The chiropractor "fixed me" then but later in life I've struggled with back pain .  

So be careful , do exercise daily but never overdo it. 

12 hours ago, balo said:

Running is not for everyone. I damaged my back after jogging for 5 years , I spent good money on my running shoes , still my lower back had enough .  The chiropractor "fixed me" then but later in life I've struggled with back pain .  

So be careful , do exercise daily but never overdo it. 

We are all a bit different. weight.. age.. size of our limbs (or the ratio's between our limbs). Then there is our ability to recover that is also not universal genetics and age play a role in it. So just find something that works for you and stick with it.