What do you do at Songkran? (Survey)

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

The village girls came out(and a lot of them are truly beautiful)And danced and danced and sang.I was totally accepted, and was dragged up to dance with some really good looking girls.

And here's me thinking there's nothing to do in Khon Kaen. Don't do anything I wouldn't do.:smile:

Man I suited up and went downtown where I live. Hooked it up at a roadside party and got drenched. Drank some beer. I brought my own whiskey. Later did a back of the pick up truck run and had a ball. 

I read a lot of posts of people that bailed out or whinged about it. I chock that up to either they are old guys and can't just have some fun or they were never fun guys to begin with and thought parties and festivals like this were below them. 

Just get out there with your Thai friends(if you have any) and enjoy the festivities, Its just loud music and water......:smile:

10 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I dig out the colorful shirt, put the phone in a waterproof case, don some eye protection, buy a midsized waterpistol and enjoy myself. 

We must be cut fro the same cloth.

As long as I'm able, I'll enjoy the Thai Songkran festivals, not be an old grouch and live life to the max and have some fun.

The Thais really appreciate foreigners participating and respecting their culture.

When in Thailand, do as the Thais do.

I stay home and watch the number of deaths, and accidents rise on the news.

I occasionally look out the windows in disbelief of the nonsense that I witness.

It all would be hilarious if it wasn't true. 

Which reminds me to cancel True cable T.V. next week!

It's a sad time when you have so many channels and many times can't find one station to hold your interest more than 30 seconds!

Try thaiexpattv. I dumped true 5 years ago. The British TV is great. Check it out. Makes staying in away from the madness something to look forward to.

Right, just settling down to Doctors on the beeb and a cuppa.

Sent from my i-mobile_i-STYLE_219 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I had planned staying in our gardens for the period, family has 3 houses with gardens all connected. Intended cutting the grass and doing an in-depth tidy up, and then on Monday I was using my weed whacker and got a nasty stone injury. No walking for a few days. So ended up just watching tv. I did see the town parade, its only a short walk down the soi, the locals were having a lovely time, no nonsense with reckless water throwing. I was approached but when they saw my bandaged leg, they simply walked away. I spent one Songkran in Pattaya, never again.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I stock up the fridge and cupboards, line up a few movies and TV progs I want to watch and bolt the door after the missus has gone to "play Songkran" with her kids.

Luckily there is a 7/11 in the building too if I forgot anything.

I used to enjoy it 30+ years ago when I was here as a tourist.

I was here 30 years ago when it was nice. I really enjoyed it then. But now, I avoid it as it has become a waterfight. That is not the real Songkran...But maybe I prefered it then because in that time I was young :)

songkran? pretty much like everyday except that I avoid the local market...there are some disrespectful young buffoons down there that don't acknowledge an elderly falang with diabetes, high blood pressure and a broken leg and use the occasion to inflict their worst...

I send my attending  niece to go and buy the veges instead...she is very attractive and commands the young fool's awkward respect...

a manipulating tutsi, in the rice paddies of SE Asia...

9 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Yes it has. This "new" Songkran rather reminds me of the story about how Moses brought down the 10 Commandments from the mountain top. I think it is similar to what he faced when returning. 

15 Commandments ...

My wife just stayed home.  It rained in Loei anyway.

18 hours ago, bazza73 said:

And here's me thinking there's nothing to do in Khon Kaen. Don't do anything I wouldn't do.:smile:

I will try very hard. Can you please let me have a list of the thing's you wouldn't do. Also, its true, some of these village girls are stunning. Its a shame to think of some of the village guy's they will end up with. Such a shame.:smile:

I enjoy Songkran the more traditional style on the countryside. This year we (the kids) enjoyed in Khao Tao with the locals, which was also very nice.

I don't splash water but use the blessing style.

I also don't like the big water battles which have no more in common with the spirit of Songkran.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Thaivisa Connect

Went to our local Wat yesterday. Poured water on Monks and local old people. Small do, local farmers, bit of a stage, dancers and singers. Everyone chips-in to pay for it. We put a couple of extra bottles of Hong Thong in.

Then got a bit pissed on whiskey and soda, danced, got soaked, everyone plastered in flour paste.

Lots of fun, farmers, wives and kids all in, lots of hugs at the end, great time.

IMG20170415142107.jpg

Edited by grollies

im in bkk and found myself avoiding the festivities, although i did like wandering around when all the shops were closed and the streets were as empty as they will likely ever be.

a lady from the massage shop slowly poured water down my back and neck and i did not mind. it felt great and cooled me off in the evening. she showed much repect for her elder.

kind of surprised at myself, not having much fun, but its not a holiday i grew up with thus it carries little meaning. theres so much reverly anyhow on a daily basis that the extra craziness just felt like overkill. im getting older i guess.

Edited by JimCrane

Upcountry Lamphun; stayed at home but still  went out for lunch daily and ; ceremony for respecting elders, receiving blessings ; only a symbolical sprinkling of water involved, mountain spirits ceremony, candle lighting, parade to temple to wash chedi; still no one threw water at me  the past days. Yesterday  went to Chiangmai; no water-throwing.

22 hours ago, grollies said:

Went to our local Wat yesterday. Poured water on Monks and local old people. Small do, local farmers, bit of a stage, dancers and singers. Everyone chips-in to pay for it. We put a couple of extra bottles of Hong Thong in.

Then got a bit pissed on whiskey and soda, danced, got soaked, everyone plastered in flour paste.

Lots of fun, farmers, wives and kids all in, lots of hugs at the end, great time.

IMG20170415142107.jpg

We did the same thing.For 3 days we went to the local lake. Danced, sang, ate BBQ Chicken and drank beer. it was great. Found a little place to sit, eat  and watch Thai life go by. They even had a market there and big plastic boats on the lake. Great fun We had a fire engine come down and open the spray gun, for those who wanted a serious soaking.

Yesterday at about 3 pm the truck came round the village with the music on it. Everybody followed it round the streets, buying beer on the way. My present wife and i went round, i bought a big Hong Thong and shared it  with the villagers.

There were some stunning village girls and they were pissed up and dancing.

No fighting, no drugs(that i noticed) just good fun. Finished about 6 pm

A great Songkran. You can keep all the Pattaya etc crap.

Edited by Khon Kaen Dave
spelling error

On 4/15/2017 at 0:49 PM, OJAS said:

Complete my UK tax return (a great opportunity to get that out of the way ASAP).

Humm, UK self assessment tax online has 31st January deadline, unless you have different circumstances you are either very early or several weeks late?

Do tell...

Was out playing today in Pattaya with my wife & son.

Took the scooter downtown and stopped on 2nd road at a beer bar complex so wife & I could sit down and share being out playing with our son at the road side.

Went though Soi Buakhao on the way back, stopped outside a bar and the expats/tourists there helped us filling my son's back-pack water tank with ice-cold water (cheers guys). So anybody firing at us got fired back upon by my sons ice cold water gun which I think surprised some, he-he.

We will head out again tomorrow because my son is having a field day but 2-3 hours is enough and then home and relax after a nice shower.