Passport Washed Up

A damaged passport is a damaged passport.

The OP does not say if the front page picture was washed out. With the pic wiped out that's a big issue. Go to the embassy, they will photocopy the passport, stamp it with certification embassy stamps and reissue a new passport in ten working days.

The visa can be transferred into the new passport. Yes I went through it all when my ten year old's water bottle spilled in my bag at a rugby do, and yes I never carry my passport around always have a pic in my mobile device but they had to go to this place and it was original ID.

So anyway, all the best but just go to the embassy, don't risk going over borders with it, you will be turned back.

Just went through this myself. Washed my 10 year valid visa 2.5 years after I received it. Main photo was faded as was ink on visas making it invalid. Thai immigration noticed it right away on my 90 day extension trip. Was told it needed to be replaced or risk not being able to travel. Got my 90 day visa extension anyways. That was in Nov 2016. I knew I had to replace it. Took it to the embassy (Canada) to verify & was told the same thing. Finally did & just picked it up a month ago. It's a whole new application process as if it's a new passport. Full costs, legit passport photos, required id, guarantors, etc, etc. Everything (Thai visas) was transferred over once I took it back to Thai immigration with a copy of the damaged one (500Baht service charge). They have it all in their data base too so they know what's what. I was lucky. I had drawn the lucky ticket # that called me up to a really super nice senior immigration official that did the transfer. No hassle there.

But the process is a real pain in the ass! They need to start making passports waterproof!!

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

best to put yer passport into a bulky protective wallet...it won't protect from washing machines but you won't forget that it is at hand...and then it won't fit in yer pocket...

I gots a nice one bought from a hotel lobby in HCMC about 10 years ago...pigskin and its got pockets fer yer business cards...expensive but a good investment...keeps the document nice and tidy...

Another big issue, here anyway, is you will need to update all your bank info for the new passport.

As in entry stamp ( which they can't find because it is washed out) they have certified copies, but still...then you go through the whole circus of 'I've got PR here what the' then they call, then you have to go to the PCCW , then ok, three hours later all good. 

'Show us the PR" okaaaaaaay here it is. I don't want to go through that experience again.

....many phone calls later.

Keep passport scanned copies with all the visa stuff.

PCCW were a bloody pain as you need a letter from them to prove you are the mobile number linked to all the HSBC accounts and other accounts and in the mainland you also have to go to bloody China Mobile and do the same thing or you can't get your $$$ if your ATM is also damaged. 

Lucky was just his passport.

11 minutes ago, thaitero said:

I think it is time to start looking for a woman. A woman knows how to do washing correctly..:smile:

Hey, did I tell you about the time I washed my hubby's jeans and all the tissue pack went through all the wash?

I won't mention the business cards and wallet. I'm an idiot, we can all be. Could happen to anyone.

Edited by Minnie the Minx

49 minutes ago, Minnie the Minx said:

A damaged passport is a damaged passport.

The OP does not say if the front page picture was washed out. With the pic wiped out that's a big issue. Go to the embassy, they will photocopy the passport, stamp it with certification embassy stamps and reissue a new passport in ten working days.

The visa can be transferred into the new passport. Yes I went through it all when my ten year old's water bottle spilled in my bag at a rugby do, and yes I never carry my passport around always have a pic in my mobile device but they had to go to this place and it was original ID.

So anyway, all the best but just go to the embassy, don't risk going over borders with it, you will be turned back.

A visa can not be transferred from one passport to another (but if he had a multi entry visa it would remain valid in the canceled passport).  He has an extension of stay from immigration and that is what is transferred (along with the original visa details).  The Embassy sends details of passport to USA for issue of the new passport - US Embassies no longer issue regular passports on there own.

Edited by lopburi3