Unable to email scanned documents.

giddyup

I scanned some documents to my computer and tried to email them, but the recipient can't open them. The documents are saved in jpeg format and I can open them on my computer, but as soon as I attach them to an email I can't even open them to preview. Why?

Turns out I can't open any attachments to my Outlook emails, this has only happened in the last day or two.

Edited by giddyup

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Sounds like some security nanny interfering.

Do you have a virus scanner and/or other internet "security" SW installed.

You don't et any message/visible trace when trying to open?

Yes, I get a message that asks "what Firefox should do with this file, either open with, or save file." As the file is already saved I don't understand what it's asking, plus I never got this message before.

So this sounds like you use a web interface for Outlook?

I must admit I don't know much about it.

You are on Windows?

But when I compare that with Yahoo webmail I don't see something unusal.

The attachments are on the mail server and have no (more) relation to files stored on your computer. So if you (double)click then the attachment is downloaded(!) from the mail server.

What happens if you select "Open with"?

Since 2 days: not quite sure what this is caused by.

Are the filename extensions indeed "JPEG" and not "JPG"?

(normally file viewer should not have a problem with it)

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

So this sounds like you use a web interface for Outlook?

I must admit I don't know much about it.

You are on Windows?

But when I compare that with Yahoo webmail I don't see something unusal.

The attachments are on the mail server and have no (more) relation to files stored on your computer. So if you (double)click then the attachment is downloaded(!) from the mail server.

What happens if you select "Open with"?

Since 2 days: not quite sure what this is caused by.

Are the filename extensions indeed "JPEG" and not "JPG"?

(normally file viewer should not have a problem with it)

You are right, they are JPG. "Open with" asks me to browse files and select something. I'm on Win 10.

Already somewhat clueless because at my side a list of available programs is shown (not only a browse entry).

?

And if you double-click a jpg file from your local hard-drive the expected(associated) program opens and shows the file?

(which program)

If you can't find a fix for your .jpg problem, you can always:

Upload the files to DROPBOX type account and include the "shared links" in your email.

Or, convert or print-to the image files to as a .pdf file and either upload that to a DROPBOX type account, or email it directly.

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Already somewhat clueless because at my side a list of available programs is shown (not only a browse entry).

?

And if you double-click a jpg file from your local hard-drive the expected(associated) program opens and shows the file?

(which program)

Not sure what you mean. If I double click a saved file from my hard drive, yes it opens. I also get a list of available programs, after I hit the browse button.

From your 'other' thread:

"Win 10 was already installed on the new Lenovo I bought 6 months ago, and it's been nothing but trouble. The main thing I use it for is to keep in touch with people via email and now that's a problem, because I can't attach anything."

This seems to be a bit different from your original post in this thread, where your recipients couldn't open attachments included in emails you sent to them using OUTLOOK.

Seems more of an outlook issue, rather than a Win10 issue.   

Do you have a gmail or other web-based email account you can used to test with?

14 minutes ago, RichCor said:

From your 'other' thread:

"Win 10 was already installed on the new Lenovo I bought 6 months ago, and it's been nothing but trouble. The main thing I use it for is to keep in touch with people via email and now that's a problem, because I can't attach anything."

This seems to be a bit different from your original post in this thread, where your recipients couldn't open attachments included in emails you sent to them using OUTLOOK.

Seems more of an outlook issue, rather than a Win10 issue.   

Do you have a gmail or other web-based email account you can used to test with?

Sorry, Gmail is what I use, not Outlook. I have tried using it in Firefox and Google Chrome with same results, unable to open attachments. All I know is that I never had any of these problems with previous Windows. I had to do a complete system restore recently because of all the problems.

Edited by giddyup

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Gmail is what I use. I have tried using it in Firefox and Google Chrome with same results, unable to open attachments. All I know is that I never had any of these problems with previous Windows. I had to do a complete system restore recently because of problems.

There seems to be something wrong with your image file. Just change the format from an image file to PDF. If you've got W 10, you should have a tool to do so.

Just in case you don't please download this one: 

http://download.cnet.com/Image-to-PDF-Converter-Free/3000-10743_4-10900970.html

Or this one ( trial version)

http://jpg-to-pdf-converter-pro.software.informer.com/4.0/

P.S. You always have the option by right clicking " open with", so please try to use a different program that you've already got and then save it. That should also do the trick. 

Best of luck. Happy New Mia Noi. 

Edited by ajarngreg

OK. GMail can be accessed either via a Web-Based Browser or a POP3/IMAP dedicated email client.

Since you've mentioned Firefox and Chrome that says you're using a web-based browser to access your emails. 

Could you please describe the current issue your having?

Before you mentioned people couldn't open files you'd attached. But you've also written you  can't open attachments.

What error messages, or messages are you receiving when you try this?

11 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Gmail is what I use. I have tried using it in Firefox and Google Chrome with same results, unable to open attachments. All I know is that I never had any of these problems with previous Windows. I had to do a complete system restore recently because of problems.

I've just upgraded to W 10 1706 and that should also solve your problem(s)

It's a new set up. 

5 minutes ago, RichCor said:

OK. GMail can be accessed either via a Web-Based Browser or a POP3/IMAP dedicated email client.

Since you've mentioned Firefox and Chrome that says you're using a web-based browser to access your emails. 

Before you mentioned people couldn't open files you'd attached. But you've also written you  can't open attachments.

Wouldn't the issue be solved when OP opens it with a different program then saves the file? Maybe in a different location. On the desktop, for example to make it easier to find. 

Edited by ajarngreg

I scanned some documents to my computer and tried to email them, but the recipient can't open them

Reading your post again, you should have the option to save it as a JPG, PDF, or another format after the scan.

If you don't have the complete software for your scanner/.printer, please download the whole program from the printer's webpage and change the format to PDF. That will work for sure. 

Edited by ajarngreg

Just now, ajarngreg said:

Wouldn't the issue be solved when OP opens it with a different program then saves .

I'm wondering if this is more of a 'file association' issue, rather than an attachment, or corrupted attachment issue.

When I open attachments in gmail, many of the common image and .pdf will open in-browser (I don't have to utilize an OS-based helper app to view them).  So I'm asking the OP to, hopefully, clarify what issue they're having.

OP, please see attachment. I've got the whole software for my printer/scanner on my machine. so that I can choose what format I want the scanned document.

Scanner screenshot.png

Edited by ajarngreg

6 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

I scanned some documents to my computer and tried to email them, but the recipient can't open them

Reading your post again, you should have the option to save it as a JPG, PDF, or another format after the scan.

If you don't have the complete software for your scanner/.printer, please download the whole program from the printer's webpage and change the format to PDF. That will work for sure. 

I can't attach photos that I've had saved for yonks and that I've attached to emails many time, so nothing to do with the printer that I only used to scan a couple of documents. I scanned some different doc the day before and they were attached and received without any problems. The problem started yesterday.

5 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

OP, please see attachment. I've got the whole software for my printer/scanner on my machine. so that I can choose what format I want the scanned document.

Scanner screenshot.png

Nothing to do with printer, I already sent scanned docs 2 days ago without any problems, now I can't attach anything.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Nothing to do with printer, I already sent scanned docs 2 days ago without any problems, now I can't attach anything.

My point was to save it as a PDF, not JPEG file, sorry. You should have this option. 

Did you try a different browser, Edge would be my choice. 

Edited by ajarngreg

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I can't attach photos that I've had saved for yonks and that I've attached to emails many time, so nothing to do with the printer that I only used to scan a couple of documents.

Any error messages from gmail?

21 minutes ago, RichCor said:

The current issue is this. I open a new email message to be sent, I click the attachment button at the bottom, choose the photo or whatever and click Open. The photo/document is sent to the email, but it can't be opened, either in a preview or when It's sent.

A friend who used Firefox regularly but then fixed this problem by opening Internet Explorer and doing these steps. 

Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced 

When in the Advanced tab, do these two things :
1) Click "Restore Advanced Settings" 
and then 

2) Click Reset (and OK to all the message warnings) 

After he did that, he was able to upload e-mail attachments on g-mail with Firefox, Chrome, and Internet Explorer.

Just a thought. It worked for others and might fix your problem as well. 

Edited by ajarngreg

8 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

My point was to save it as a PDF, not JPEG file, sorry. You should have this option. 

Did you try a different browser, Edge would be my choice. 

Doesn't work in Edge, Firefox or Chrome.

3 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

A friend who used Firefox regularly but then fixed this problem by opening Internet Explorer and doing these steps. 

Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced 

When in the Advanced tab, do these two things :
1) Click "Restore Advanced Settings" 
and then 

2) Click Reset (and OK to all the message warnings) 

After he did that, he was able to upload e-mail attachments on g-mail with Firefox, Chrome, and Internet Explorer.

Just a thought. It worked for others and might fix your problem as well. 

Done that, didn't work.

3 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

It works right after the scan when you have the option what type of file you want the scanned image.

Forget scanned images please, that's when the problem first showed itself, but I can't open anything that I attach to my email, whether it be documents or photos. Something has changed but I don't know what, as I never had any problem attaching files previously.

Edited by giddyup