Unable to email scanned documents.

giddyup

7 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Forget canned images please, that's when the problem first showed itself, but I can't open anything that I attach to my email, whether it be documents or photos. Something has changed but I don't know what, as I never had any problem attaching files previously.

Ok, can you try completely logging out of your account, from both browsers, and log back in to see if that fixes it?

And clear browser cache too, please. 

P.S. Don't forget to do a restart as well, please. 

Have you ever thought about a System restore to the point where all was working well? 

P.S. Make sure you are running the latest version of Adobe Flash. The default attachment uploader is using Flash for the uploading of files. Old Flash versions may no longer be supported by the uploader or return error messages.

Please check here: https://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Edited by ajarngreg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

Ok, can you try completely logging out of your account, from both browsers, and log back in to see if that fixes it?

And clear browser cache too, please. 

P.S. Don't forget to do a restart as well, please. 

Have you ever thought about a System restore to the point where all was working well? 

P.S. Make sure you are running the latest version of Adobe Flash. The default attachment uploader is using Flash for the uploading of files. Old Flash versions may no longer be supported by the uploader or return error messages.

Please check here: https://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

It won't allow a system restore as it says the PC was upgraded 10 days ago.

Just now, giddyup said:

It won't allow a system restore as it says the PC was upgraded 10 days ago.

Please be aware that the System restore is always switched off after a bigger update.

You should switch drive C on again and create a restore point. Whatever you're doing now a restore point will be of great help. 

6 minutes ago, RichCor said:

...and the Insert Photo icon is set as UPLOAD with INSERT IMAGES INLINE

and the uploaded image isn't appearing in the gmail edit box? 

It gives me no option as to what photo I want to attach. It opens a few photos that were saved to some other program ages ago, not where I currently store photos, and it doesn't allow me to select.

OP, guess you're running the W 10 1605 OS?

The upgrade to 1703 creators will be soon delivered via updates, but you can do it now.

But it takes about 2 hours to complete and you might have all problems solved and your machine upgraded.

http://www.redmondpie.com/download-windows-10-update-assistant-for-creators-update/

3 minutes ago, norbra said:

I had not noticed where he has been given any worthwhile help so far

I thought we're trying to help each other here?

We all made different experiences and some fixes might work and some don't.

None of us can see the machine, excluding the OP then it's not that easy to troubleshoot. 

If you think that your comment was more helpful than all the others, congratulations. 

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

It gives me no option as to what photo I want to attach. It opens a few photos that were saved to some other program ages ago, not where I currently store photos, and it doesn't allow me to select.

58f0996fa7867_ThaiVisaGmailUploadImage.JPG.a93d29a1adfd8983b375f5ac11e3b526.JPG

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Will that work for documents as well?

Only for image files.

Documents (such as .pdf, word, spreadsheets, etc) aren't image-based and normally don't have associated 'preview' images, so those, just show up as file attachments.

Just now, RichCor said:

Only for image files.

Documents (such as .pdf, word, spreadsheets, etc) aren't image-based and normally don't have associated 'preview' images, so those, just show up as file attachments.

It does allow me to insert photos, but not as attachments, full size, and if I still can't attach documents it's still a problem. I do appreciate all the help though.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

It does allow me to insert photos, but not as attachments, full size, and if I still can't attach documents it's still a problem. I do appreciate all the help though.

The following list may help you fix or diagnose the problem.  Some of these tests will help narrow the problem down if they don’t solve it so it’s important to test and answer each one.  They all assume you are using the Gmail web interface logged in at https://mail.google.com/

Have you tried clearing your browser's cache and cookies, and then re-starting it?

Have you updated your browser to the latest supported version?

Have you tried performing the task in another supported browser AND on another computer to see if it behaves the same?

Have you tried disabling any labs features you are using?  You can do this for all of them at once by using:  https://mail.google.com/mail/?labs=0

Have you tried disabling any browser extensions or add-ons?  Have you tried running in Safe Mode (Firefox) or using an incognito window (Chrome)?

Have you tried temporarily disabling your anti-virus scanner to see if the behavior changes?  It’s critical you also try disabling any internet or e-mail related extensions/add-ons it has.  Don't forget to re-enable it after the test.

Have you tried disabling any other monitoring or internet protection programs (like Net-Nanny) which could be blocking Gmail?

Best of luck..

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Using the Attach Files (paperclip icon) option does allow you to attach most file type, but GMAIL will only list them in an email as a file attachment (no preview).  When you click the link your email client (whether browser-based or application-based) will expect you to either open them in a 'helper app', full application, or download them.

Most all email clients work this way.

Though, if you attach a .pdf file, the Browser or Email Client may offer in-app support to open that directly (without first having to download, save, then open it).  

1 minute ago, robblok said:

The OP should install teamviewer and let someone help him. This is one of the worst ways to help someone who is not super computer literate. 

A great idea. Why not updating the machine and all will work afterward?

here's the link for TeamViewer, I'm sure that somebody will find the culprit. 

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/windows/

2 minutes ago, RichCor said:

Using the Attach Files (paperclip icon) option does allow you to attach most file type, but GMAIL will only list them in an email as a file attachment (no preview).  When you click the link your email client (whether browser-based or application-based) will expect you to either open them in a 'helper app', full application, or download them.

Most all email clients work this way.

Though, if you attach a .pdf file, the Browser or Email Client may offer in-app support to open that directly (without first having to download, save, then open it).  

Would the OP sign out of Gmail and do a restart, the problem could be solved.

What's your opinion? If I were the OP, I'd just go for the upgrade.

P.S. And of course disable all add-ins. 

Edited by ajarngreg

12 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

The following list may help you fix or diagnose the problem.  Some of these tests will help narrow the problem down if they don’t solve it so it’s important to test and answer each one.  They all assume you are using the Gmail web interface logged in at https://mail.google.com/

Have you tried clearing your browser's cache and cookies, and then re-starting it?

Have you updated your browser to the latest supported version?

Have you tried performing the task in another supported browser AND on another computer to see if it behaves the same?

Have you tried disabling any labs features you are using?  You can do this for all of them at once by using:  https://mail.google.com/mail/?labs=0

Have you tried disabling any browser extensions or add-ons?  Have you tried running in Safe Mode (Firefox) or using an incognito window (Chrome)?

Have you tried temporarily disabling your anti-virus scanner to see if the behavior changes?  It’s critical you also try disabling any internet or e-mail related extensions/add-ons it has.  Don't forget to re-enable it after the test.

Have you tried disabling any other monitoring or internet protection programs (like Net-Nanny) which could be blocking Gmail?

Best of luck..

Yes to all those.

3 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

A great idea. Why not updating the machine and all will work afterward?

here's the link for TeamViewer, I'm sure that somebody will find the culprit. 

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/windows/

What I have found when helping people who are themselves not really good at computers often the problems are explained wrong and solutions aren't executed correctly. That is why I use teamviewer if I need to help family member, even over the phone it would drive me mad to do it otherwise. 

On a forum its even harder.. that is why i tend to stay out of these kind of topics. But teamviewer is great for stuff like this.

3 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

Would the OP sign out of Gmail and do a restart, the problem could be solved.

What's your opinion? If I were the OP, I'd just go for the upgrade.

P.S. And of course disable all add-ins. 

Updating / upgrading is something that is always a good idea. It often helps (not always but its better then nothing)

13 minutes ago, giddyup said:

It does allow me to insert photos, but not as attachments, full size, and if I still can't attach documents it's still a problem.

The uploaded inline images have the option of manually resizing them, or click-once and options for SMALL | BEST FIT | ORIGINAL SIZE | REMOVE

The image is sent full size as an attachment, but I believe the inline preview resize used html coding to accomplish the resize and doesn't change the actual image attachment.

22 minutes ago, robblok said:

What I have found when helping people who are themselves not really good at computers often the problems are explained wrong and solutions aren't executed correctly. That is why I use teamviewer if I need to help family member, even over the phone it would drive me mad to do it otherwise. 

On a forum its even harder.. that is why i tend to stay out of these kind of topics. But teamviewer is great for stuff like this.

You are right and too much information of people who believe that the free AVG is the best protection together with a Chinese browser is in no way a help to anybody who's got problems with his/her PC.

But when you're trying to say that I wouldn't be good at computers myself, you're very wrong.

I fix computers for quite a long time and I think I'm pretty good at troubleshooting, soft and hardware related issues.

The problem for a solution seeking person is indeed when too many people come up with solutions that make absolutely no sense at all.

That's why I wrote it would be a great help to go for an upgrade because the OP can always go back afterward if he's not satisfied with the new version.

I'm pretty sure that you know some stuff where I'm not that good, but I might know things you haven't even heard of.   OP, how's it going now? can't you just do an upgrade, wait about 2 hours to do it and then report back if the machine is working?

Happy New Year ! Cheers