Thai and Malaysian officials discuss economic cooperation

webfact

Thai and Malaysian officials discuss economic cooperation

PNECO600414001001101_14042017_115500.jpg

BANGKOK, 14 April 2017 (NNT) - Deputy Defense Minister Gen Udomdej Sitabutr met with Malaysian Home Affairs Minister Dato' Seri Ahmad Zahid Bin Hamidi to boost economic ties between Thailand and Malaysia. 

Gen Udomdej, in his capacity as a special representative of the government, and other Thai officials attended a meeting with the Malaysian Home Affairs Minister to discuss border trades and ways to promote mutual economic growth. 

Both sides talked about the possibility of opening the Thai-Malaysian border 24 hours a day and the transportation of Thai goods to Malaysia. 

Many believe that a 24-hour access to the border will stimulate urban development while some oppose the idea saying the move could lead to lower tourist spending as they can simply return to their home country any time of day. 

More discussions over these issues are expected to take place in the near future to find solutions and ways to enhance economic relations.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-04-14

4 hours ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK, 14 April 2017 (NNT) - Deputy Defense Minister Gen Udomdej Sitabutr met with Malaysian Home Affairs Minister Dato' Seri Ahmad Zahid Bin Hamidi to boost economic ties between Thailand and Malaysia. 

Seeing as how your deputy Defense Minister talk to Malaysia about the what are they called again? oh yes terrorists in the southern part of the country. How about a joint strike force to show solidarity? Amazing meeting to "boost" economic ties and sweep the political problems under the carpet how convienent. 

4 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Seeing as how your deputy Defense Minister talk to Malaysia about the what are they called again? oh yes terrorists in the southern part of the country. How about a joint strike force to show solidarity? Amazing meeting to "boost" economic ties and sweep the political problems under the carpet how convienent. 

Or perhaps it is  envisaged  that  a relaxed free trade border agreement will negate the need for as  much armed intervention because  the principle  aims of the  separatists  who would  like  to establish/re establish  an independent border zone and  thus  control of cross border  trade will be  made irrelevant?

Thai  military  then only  need  to protect a  corridor of  access  rather than an ineffective  dispersed form of  security?

1 minute ago, Dumbastheycome said:

because  the principle  aims of the  separatists  who would  like  to establish/re establish  an independent border zone and  thus  control of cross border  trade will be  made irrelevant?

Well for the first time I think we are at odds. Personally I think they are trying to carve out a small caliphate called Little Mayalasia. Control of cross border trade will be made irrelevant?? All trade needs some kind of controls.

1 minute ago, elgordo38 said:

Well for the first time I think we are at odds. Personally I think they are trying to carve out a small caliphate called Little Mayalasia. Control of cross border trade will be made irrelevant?? All trade needs some kind of controls.

That is  the essence of  my  thoughts... that the  existing proponents  of  the  small  caliphate will be circumnavigated. This  province was annexed by Thailand  originally and the religious  claimants have  been unrelenting  in effort  to regain autocracy.

Workable  strategy or  not  maybe this  is being  viewed  as  a solution in spite  of ?

3 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

they are trying to carve out a small caliphate called Little Mayalasia.

Insurgents have to date not demanded succession from the Kingdom of Thailand and restoration of the 1800's Islamic Caliphate. Although that would be consistent with the history and culture of the Muslim Malays in the South. Neither have the insurgents expressed the desire to merge with the Federation of Malaysia (aka Malaysia). Malaysia has not suggested annexation of the Muslim Malay provinces in the South.

I believe that the insurgents (largely the BRN) have focused instead primarily on semi-autonomy within the Kingdom of Thailand given the greater political obstacles of alternatives. The border with Malaysia would remain one with the Kingdom of Thailand. Customs and Border control with Malaysia would also remain the authority of the Kingdom of Thailand.

56 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Insurgents have to date not demanded succession from the Kingdom of Thailand and restoration of the 1800's Islamic Caliphate. Although that would be consistent with the history and culture of the Muslim Malays in the South. Neither have the insurgents expressed the desire to merge with the Federation of Malaysia (aka Malaysia). Malaysia has not suggested annexation of the Muslim Malay provinces in the South.

I believe that the insurgents (largely the BRN) have focused instead primarily on semi-autonomy within the Kingdom of Thailand given the greater political obstacles of alternatives. The border with Malaysia would remain one with the Kingdom of Thailand. Customs and Border control with Malaysia would also remain the authority of the Kingdom of Thailand.

Ah I finally got you Sharialand. 

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Deputy Defense Minister Gen Udomdej Sitabutr met with Malaysian Home Affairs Minister Dato' Seri Ahmad Zahid Bin Hamidi to boost economic ties between Thailand and Malaysia. 

So what is ASEAN all about then?