Songkran death toll now claims 167 lives and 1,795 injuries in three days

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

In Thailand they don't learn the lesson, you can repeat it a thousand times & they still won't get it.
most countries do learn from their mistakes & lay the blame firmly on the accident & prevent it from happening again.
here they quote bad luck, karma, Buddha's will, in fact anything except the truth

which is... drink driving, speeding, unsafe driving practices, in fact the list is endless.
And yes next year they will have forgotten it all & repeat the process.

Do i blame education--ignorance--nationalism--or all of the above..boggles my mind:saai:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

A young lad across the road from me was killed on his bike, driving drunk until he was stopped by a utility pole by the road that removed half his face. The next day his brother was out riding on the wrong side, no helmet....... So no, no lessons will be learned. My wife tells me not to get upset by this stuff as everyone is going to die anyway. And that is why no-one cares. Different mentality.

So the response to your wife is?......Buddha hated them so he killed them--they were bad .karma?

I just dont get it...is there no instinct...self preservation?....maybe buddha does need to "start over"

Different mentality..seems there is NONE...a insane asylum with everyone being lobotomised...ugh

22 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Thailand 68 millions people

France 67 millions people

Thailand three days on the roads = 167 dead people

France all march 2017 = 31 days = 266 dead people and it's a very bad result if we compare with last year .

Don't forget there are so many more cars and trucks and coaches in France than in Thailand ...Find the mistake ...:post-4641-1156693976:

C'mon Asterix, you know you cannot compare apples with pears.

The rule limiting numbers in the back of utes was never going to work...just too hard.

Why not enforce STRICTLY helmet on motor bikes for all 23 on board.

Strictly enforce no  driving / riding whilst intoxicated.

I reckon most fatalities occur on motor bikes.

Interesting to see any stats about fatalities of people in back of utes.

I bet bike fatalities win by a country mile.

So what was the real reason behind the ute ban...Sell more 4 door utes ??

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

80% of accidents involve small motorcycles in Thailand. How many said bikes are on the roads in France? You need to compare like for like - compare sedan accidents / deaths between both countries to be able to make valid comparisons. Bikes are inherently more dangerous than cars, regardless of how skilled  the rider may think they are. 

Provided there were as many bikes in France as there are in Thailand, I'm quite sure that most French people on small bikes would ride in a more responsible fashion than most Thais.

They wear helmets

They don't text while riding

They use common sense

They make sure their lights are working in front and rear

They use rear view mirrors not only to press pimples

They don't ride like maniaks

They don't ride while drugged or drunk

They usually have had a kind of education to be able to get a driver's license

They have an insurance

They use bikes that are in roadworthy conditions

Been driving around Chiang Mai for the last 3 dags. Lots og "check points" but all officers just sitting behind a table, talking and looking at their phones. They check absolutely nothing!! and not once have we been checked.

No wonder Chiang Mai is top of the list. How they can just sit there and do nothing is beyond my understanding.

No social responsibility at all. Sickening to watch.

Edited by khunpa

20 hours ago, jerojero said:

How do you change a culture? Slowly consistently over a longer term. Cannot happen when there are repeated coups and new governments that change Constitutions and basic laws every few years. The country's selfish Elites including Military leaders are responsible for the current status quo.

coups, change of government and constitutions has bugger all to do with common sense and rule of law - flawed thinking and an excuse for stupidity.

3 hours ago, Broken Record said:

1.25 Million people  die yearly on the worlds roads, in Thailand say....25,000 road deaths in a year, outside Thailand 1,225,000, seems like the world isn't learning

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Seems your forum name is spot on.

Edited by Artisi

20 hours ago, scorecard said:

Well I can you one thing, if you ask a sizable proportion of my extended Thai family; 'How many accidents... , how many people killed last year,  up to date this year, etc etc,',  they just don't know and have never thoughts about and they just don't engage in such conversations.

What you'll also hear from some 'but my family has good karma'.

And from more 'but our car is new'.

And from some 'better to drive quickly and get there fast and get off the road'.

And from some 'if I want to drink and drive it's up to me'.

And.....

And..... I know myself, so I can get really drunk and still drive !!!

4 hours ago, Broken Record said:

Are you serious ?

You can't understand that if the UK had the same amount of people on motorcycles as Thailand has, the UK RTA death toll would be much higher than it is ? :saai:

Great and thank you, you have just made the point i always try to make and get shot down in flames for making. So in the UK, if they had the same amount of riders there would be a lot more deaths? In UK EVERYONE wears a helmet! So according to you,  wearing a helmet make no great difference in the amount of deaths. Just riding a motorbike is more dangerous!

Cheers for backing me!

3 hours ago, Artisi said:

coups, change of government and constitutions has bugger all to do with common sense and rule of law - flawed thinking and an excuse for stupidity.

Did you marry a Thai, do you choose to live in Thailand, if so I think you made a mistake.

I can't understand many people on this forum, do they realize Thailand is a developing nation with developing nation problems, did they realize things wouldn't be like they are back home, so many posters here seem to not like Thailand and Thai people too much, I was that way about the UK, so I left the UK in 1990, that was the major factor, I didn't like it there, what keeps people in Thailand when they seem to pour scorn on just about everything to do with the place?

Perhaps it's an age thing, too late in life to start again ? Made a terrible mistake but have burnt the bridges back home ? Can't afford to move elsewhere ? Bought a house in someone else"s name without really thinking things through and are totally stuck ? Sorry for you guys.

Thailand didn't mess up your life, you did that yourselves with poor choices and bad planning.

Edited by Broken Record
Amazement.

27 minutes ago, Broken Record said:

Did you marry a Thai, do you choose to live in Thailand, if so I think you made a mistake.

I can't understand many people on this forum, do they realize Thailand is a developing nation with developing nation problems, did they realize things wouldn't be like they are back home, so many posters here seem to not like Thailand and Thai people too much, I was that way about the UK, so I left the UK in 1990, that was the major factor, I didn't like it there, what keeps people in Thailand when they seem to pour scorn on just about everything to do with the place?

Perhaps it's an age thing, too late in life to start again ? Made a terrible mistake but have burnt the bridges back home ? Can't afford to move elsewhere ? Bought a house in someone else"s name without really thinking things through and are totally stuck ? Sorry for you guys.

Thailand didn't mess up your life, you did that yourselves with poor choices and bad planning.

Such a sad tear-jerking story, but doesn't change what I said. Coups etc. have nothing to do with the high road death toll. 

On 15/04/2017 at 10:23 AM, Toshiba66 said:

So right. We look down on Srinakarin Rd in Bangkok and have been watching large groups of kids going past us of 40 or 50 riders over the last 2 days. Almost all are not wearing helmets. Just 3 or 4 bikes. Its great to see them having a good time. I just wish they would understand the importance of protecting themselves with helmets, gloves etc.

It really makes me fear for them.  Its easy to blame the kids for being stupid but they get no guidance, direction or information.  A good fear campaign showing what happens in a motorbike accident might shock them into being more sensible - but then maybe not :(

On 14/4/2017 at 10:12 PM, ChakaKhan said:

My brain simply cannot process thai logic and mentality...it really is a enigma in a riddle...:saai:

Then i would ask why is there INSURANCE?...just all wear the buddha amulet......right??????

So if im a bad person-i should just be superbad cos karma is coming for me?....yes????

Seems like there are 1000000 thai excuse to just being a responsible person....selfish fools

As far as the if i want to drink is up to me....tell that to the police or the families of dead????

You need to get out and speak to more educated Thais. Not all Thais believe in amulets and fate - the 'if im gonna die im gonna die' attitude. Some problems are down to beliefs but anyone with decent education knows about safety and risk management.

3 hours ago, DavisH said:

You need to get out and speak to more educated Thais. Not all Thais believe in amulets and fate - the 'if im gonna die im gonna die' attitude. Some problems are down to beliefs but anyone with decent education knows about safety and risk management.

Problem is good thais dont interact with me--only the shady ones seem to like me    :saai:

On the roads it seems to be idiots rule....seems the lawlessness empowers that idea

On 4/16/2017 at 9:29 AM, TKDfella said:

I think Broken Record is angling for a medal...or perhaps afraid that this forum will be monitored.

Broken Record gets the brown medal on this thread for the most posts trying to defend Thai driving skills.

1.25 Million people  die yearly on the worlds roads, in Thailand say....25,000 road deaths in a year, outside Thailand 1,225,000, seems like the world isn't learning

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

So the world averages 17 deaths per 100 000 and Thailand averages 36. I'd say Thailand is learning slower than the world :P