Nearly 3,500 vehicles impounded for drunk driving in first three days of Songkran break

rooster59

6 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I do believe that there has been a lot of healthy inter-action between the police forces of the UK and yours in Australia and New Zealand on this and a number of other issues. It has often been noted that what happens in the UK in one year happens 'down under' the following year! 

You mention random testing. This also occurs in UK along with random 'surprise' roadside check points. These have proved to be very effective.

And that is something the Thai police really need to learn. Stop setting up road blocks in the same place, at the same time every day! Drivers very quickly learn the places to avoid if they have issues. Catch them off guard by adding variety.

They have a long, long way to go, but they're learning.

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"They have a long, long way to go, but they're learning".  Are they??

Only time will tell, but I don't think it will be in my time!!!!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, fish monger said:

Now charge the motor bike owners 5,000 baht and the car owners 10,000 baht, to get their vehicles back...! Drive the point home...!

13 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

200,000 people!

I'm sorry but what the <deleted>!

200,000...that is beyond belief. 

It would be much higher if police had more checkpoints. Went through a local area yesterday....had to drive slowly on the local roads. People were everywhere on the road splashing water. I guarantee most were drinking / drunk, by that time. Just had to be careful not to run anyone over! How many then hopped on their bikes and drove home then? 

39 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

In South Australia they send the vehicles to the wreckers after the drivers have been found guilty as charged for (wreckless driving) in a court of law and crush the vehicles and sell them off as scrap metal, ... 

A totally elegant solution for Thailand. Fine and ban the drivers and also takes loads of (probably underinsured or uninsured) vehicles off the roads as well.

Will you mention it to Prayuth or will I?

42 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

... Then once they have established that law, they can then work on the festive Songkran season getting the clowns that are throwing water off the main roads, ...

Why stop it only on the main roads? It should be banned on ALL roads. Set up water fight parks in temple grounds and bus them in where they can start by doing the respectful bit before getting totally water-wasted in a (mostly) alcohol-free environment. Lord Buddha knows there's enough empty acres of temple space in LOS in April.

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

A totally elegant solution for Thailand. Fine and ban the drivers and also takes loads of (probably underinsured or uninsured) vehicles off the roads as well.

Will you mention it to Prayuth or will I?

Thank you very much, yes I will email him now, and also suggest that he make it compulsory for all vehicles to be insured before thay can be registered, and if drivers are caught driving uninsured, their vehicles get crushed forthwith, same for being unlicensed, be it your own vehicle or a friends or whatever, straight to the wrecking yard.

16 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

ANYONE witnessed seeing ONE car on a lift getting towed/impounded??????

Or is just news to appease the masses...i saw some cops today by police

station--drinking and enjoying songkran in uniform.....no impounding that i saw

Not a car, but last night I did see an army truck being loaded with motorbikes at a checkpoint on On Nut Rd ....as well as many young girls "dressed provocatively " and "dancing sexily" on the back of pickups which I thought had also been banned, all on the opposite corner of the intersection from the police !

11 hours ago, ableguy said:

It will never happen , your average worker does not make enough money to pay a heavy fine  or to pay for a license or insurance, it's the whole country to blame for keeping the lower class down.

Your average worker 15 years ago struggled to afford a motorcycle don't even think about a car or house.

If it means jail or a fine they will borrow the money somewhere. 

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

Not a car, but last night I did see an army truck being loaded with motorbikes at a checkpoint on On Nut Rd ....as well as many young girls "dressed provocatively " and "dancing sexily" on the back of pickups which I thought had also been banned, all on the opposite corner of the intersection from the police !

Next time snap a pic of those girls--strictly for investigate reasons to keep on file :sleep:

In Canada along with a criminal record, possible loss of job (if you need to drive), future denial of employment based on having a criminal record & many other financial & psychological stresses, this is what you can expect...
The minimum sentences are:
For a first offence, a $1000 fine and a 12-month driving prohibition,
For a second offence, 30 days of jail and a 24-month driving prohibition, and.
For a third or subsequent offence, 120 days of jail and a 36-month driving prohibition.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app