Denied entry into Laos because of passport 6 month validity, Now overstaying and overstay fee racking up, must get flight home

23 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

How can he get another exempt entry if he has been told 'No more' ? I've no idea if this due to 2 land border crossings or he has hit his exempt limits at the airport and has been flagged?

Since the OP was denied entry to Laos at the bridge in Nong Kai I assume he was told that by Thai immigration there. I think they meant there because he could not enter Laos with his current passport.

There is no visa exempt entry limit at airports. There is only an alert at 6 entries.

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Since the OP was denied entry to Laos at the bridge in Nong Kai I assume he was told that by Thai immigration there. I think they meant there because he could not enter Laos with his current passport.

There is no visa exempt entry limit at airports. There is only an alert at 6 entries.

Yes I understand there are no limits at the airport, at least until they decide enough is enough, but the OP isn't making himself clear exactly where he was told. 
Personally, I wouldn't even take 6 entries as Gospel for throwing up an alert. People have had far more and no flag and others far less and had the flag. Truth is, nobody really knows.

13 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Personally, I wouldn't even take 6 entries as Gospel for throwing up an alert. People have had far more and no flag and others far less and had the flag. Truth is, nobody really knows.

There have been reports of people people being shown the 6 entry alert on an officer's screen. It is only meant to inform the officer to check the type (out/in mostly) entries done and how frequently.

So ubonjoe, thanks for all your great help first off.

Hong kong and back on a same day return sounds like a good idea. However I have a few concerns.

a) If I go to Hong Kong with my current passport with 3 months validity, they would just let me in right? I would just so them my flight plans to come back the same day also... Will they ask for confirmation of money etc?

B) If on the flight back to Thailand, when I arrive with my three months validity passport at the airport, will they give me another visa exempt entry ? I have ONLY had 1 visa exempt visa by a land crossing at nongkhai nd thats it, all my other visas are tourist visas. This would be my 2nd total tourist visa. I am super worried that this visa wont be given and then they will tell me to book another ticket back home or something. I will be granted the visa right? Because at Nongkhai to be clear, the guy just said i had a "big problem" that i cannot go into laos with three months validity but also cannot come back into thailand on it, i asked if i could just cross the thai side and come back in on the thai side if thats even possible and i said that arent i allowed 2 visa exempt entries a year, he started saying no and talking about if i had a permit or something...

Thanks .

1 hour ago, hmmyes said:

So ubonjoe, thanks for all your great help first off.

Hong kong and back on a same day return sounds like a good idea. However I have a few concerns.

a) If I go to Hong Kong with my current passport with 3 months validity, they would just let me in right? I would just so them my flight plans to come back the same day also... Will they ask for confirmation of money etc?

B) If on the flight back to Thailand, when I arrive with my three months validity passport at the airport, will they give me another visa exempt entry ? I have ONLY had 1 visa exempt visa by a land crossing at nongkhai nd thats it, all my other visas are tourist visas. This would be my 2nd total tourist visa. I am super worried that this visa wont be given and then they will tell me to book another ticket back home or something. I will be granted the visa right? Because at Nongkhai to be clear, the guy just said i had a "big problem" that i cannot go into laos with three months validity but also cannot come back into thailand on it, i asked if i could just cross the thai side and come back in on the thai side if thats even possible and i said that arent i allowed 2 visa exempt entries a year, he started saying no and talking about if i had a permit or something...

Thanks .

First, something I can state with complete confidence: Hong Kong will not ask for financial proof, only a confirmed return flight ticket. There is no issue at the Hong Kong end.

Coming back to Thailand, you ought to be OK. However, the combination of overstay, plus same day return, is a big red flag to immigration, and you should expect to be questioned. You should definitely have the equivalent of 20,000 baht cash. I suggest you also have documentation that shows your (overseas) source of income. Decide exactly what you are going to say about why you spend so much time in Thailand, and also explain the reason for the overstay (I think not realizing that you needed 6 months validity to cross to Laos for a new visa exempt entry rings true and is likely sufficient if you get this sorted quickly).

Good luck!

2 hours ago, hmmyes said:

Because at Nongkhai to be clear, the guy just said i had a "big problem" that i cannot go into laos with three months validity but also cannot come back into thailand on it, i asked if i could just cross the thai side and come back in on the thai side if thats even possible and i said that arent i allowed 2 visa exempt entries a year, he started saying no and talking about if i had a permit or something...

No offence (I'm trying to help) but you are clearly so absolutely clueless you have misunderstood what you were told at Nongkhai. Obviously you can't just exit Thailand and then enter again without entering a third country first. That's what the person at Nongkhai was talking about. Stop worrying about what you think you've been told at Nongkhai because clearly you've misunderstood. 

Why not go to Hong Kong, sleep in a cheap hostel for a few days while you apply for a tourist visa and then fly back on that? 

27 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Why not go to Hong Kong, sleep in a cheap hostel for a few days while you apply for a tourist visa and then fly back on that? 

There are two issues with that. First, and most important, while entry visa exempt on a passport with limited validity is possible, the passport must have six months validity to apply for a tourist visa. Secondly, there is no such thing as a really cheap hostel in Hong Kong. A grotty dorm in a bad location might be possible for around US$20 per night, but anything reasonably livable will be US$30 per night and up.

Well after reading the posts it looks like the OP has only 1 choice & that is to get out of the country to avoid being caught on over stay ( the airport is not the problem the police are )

But one post also said that he could go to Hong Kong & re enter with same PP (All ok if you can get into Thailand with 3 mths validity ) & then go to Embassy to get new PP

Or refer to No: 1 & get new PP

1 hour ago, Los Luver said:

and what is the limit of visa exempt ?? I might be in that situation soon. God forbid !!

VisaExempts are "Two Only" if by land," and "Try to Guess" if by air.  Unlike Tourist Visas, the Visa-Exempt system has been explicitly re-defined by police-orders for "occasional" and "short" visits. 

Returning Visa-Exempt quickly with a recent overstay is a bit risky, IMO, but one would probably be allowed to just go back to Hong Kong if rejected, then apply for the new passport there.  Still, if you can get a tourist-visa in HK and return on the current passport to Thailand (see UJ's link, above), that is the way to go.

10 hours ago, BritTim said:

A grotty dorm in a bad location might be possible for around US$20 per night, but anything reasonably livable will be US$30 per night and up.

Granted, rooms aren't cheap in HK, but it is better than detention and blacklisting for overstay if caught on the street on overstay (vs turning oneself in at the airport) in Thailand.  Think of it as an adventure - looks like an amazing place to visit.

If Thailand also has the 6 months valid passport rule you can not get back in with this one. If you can get a new passport in Hongkong you can try it but it is easier to go back to the UK and arrange it there. Costs max 20,000 baht for the overstay plus ticket and passport. 

If you do not have the money for this expect to be banned from Thailand eventually.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 3:26 PM, hmmyes said:

Thankyou so much...

Will the emergency travel document have all my passport info copied onto it including my thai visa info and so on? And how long is it valid for if you know? I mean it should have 6+ months so i can obtain visas of course right?

Thankyou, doing alot of reasearch too, I'm from the United Kingdom

Why would the UK copy your stamps from another country?. They used to tie the new passport to the old, but whether that is the case now I don't know. To get the stamps copied you'd have to go to immigration in the country they refer to and they would transfer the stamps.

As another poster said, Malaysia. You don't need a visa, though they may require 6 months validity- check it out.

21 minutes ago, Grumpy Duck said:

I have read warnings next to the entrance to the Immigration office that re-entering Thailand is prohibited for a certain period depending on how long the overstay. 

post-247607-0-40757700-1458423208_thumb.

If you're going to get caught you are banned for 5 years (no matter of lenght of overstay).

If you surrender under 90 days there is 20 000 Baht maximum penalty (500 Bah per day, maximum is 20k).

If you sirrender after 90 days you are banner for 1 year.

Edited by howard ashoul
  • Like 1

I noted when last at Immigration three were new rules about overstay.  Didn't pay too much attention but I believe it was no re-entry for 1 year if 3 days overstay, going up from there.  Seems to be the new policy of good guys in, bad guys out  to make us all feel welcome.  A change from the old policy of 100B per day and a friendly smile when they collected the money

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Robin said:

I noted when last at Immigration three were new rules about overstay.  Didn't pay too much attention but I believe it was no re-entry for 1 year if 3 days overstay, going up from there.  Seems to be the new policy of good guys in, bad guys out  to make us all feel welcome.  A change from the old policy of 100B per day and a friendly smile when they collected the money

I guess you didn't look at this in the previous post. The rules have been in effect for over a year now.

post-247607-0-40757700-1458423208_thumb.

• Like 1

No need to fly out, go to British consul service in Bangkok, pay the renewal fee etc. for new passport. Ask for express service. Take the receipt to immigration, pay cost of extension. wait for 2 weeks. receive new passport go to immigration transfer stamps free. and you will be back in business. Be honest and upfront and I am sure you will have no big problems. Unless you have no fixed addressed that you are registered at!

1 hour ago, phetpeter said:

No need to fly out, go to British consul service in Bangkok, pay the renewal fee etc. for new passport. Ask for express service. Take the receipt to immigration, pay cost of extension. wait for 2 weeks. receive new passport go to immigration transfer stamps free. and you will be back in business. Be honest and upfront and I am sure you will have no big problems. Unless you have no fixed addressed that you are registered at!

Since he is already on overstay, this is not recommended. There is a good chance he will be arrested and sent to IDC in Bangkok as soon as he contacts the immigration. And trust me, IDC is not a good place to be.

The most important thing here, is to get his overstay sorted out, that means leaving the country asap.

Edited by thaibreaker
  • Like 1

had exactly the same trouble last year

do not try to get any visa in any thai embassy 

they will not give u

only thing you can do is fly out the country and fly back in 

u will have 30 days wich u can extend another 15 at immigration(1900 bht)

by that time u need to aplie and get a new pasport

and apply for the visa u prefere

note: i flew to KL tried to get visa thai there was refused and on the airpost some dumbo ripped my flight ticket in 2

after getting her supervisor ( he knew i could fly back with less than 6 months on my passport) i was allowed to fly back to bangkok

went directly to my embassy(dutch) and had my new pasport before the 30 days expired

1 hour ago, fdch said:

had exactly the same trouble last year

do not try to get any visa in any thai embassy 

they will not give u

only thing you can do is fly out the country and fly back in 

u will have 30 days wich u can extend another 15 at immigration(1900 bht)

The extension is for 30 days

1 hour ago, fdch said:

by that time u need to aplie and get a new pasport

and apply for the visa u prefere

note: i flew to KL tried to get visa thai there was refused

KL is not a friendly place to get a Tourist-Visa under the best of circumstances.  Next time, try Penang.  According to reports, if you do encounter a problem there, it can often be sorted for an "extra fee."

1 hour ago, fdch said:

... and on the airpost some dumbo ripped my flight ticket in 2

after getting her supervisor ( he knew i could fly back with less than 6 months on my passport) i was allowed to fly back to bangkok

went directly to my embassy(dutch) and had my new pasport before the 30 days expired

• Like 1

I wonder what happened to the OP. He's either an extremely ungrateful person who asks for help from others but can't be bothered to give an update that could help someone else in the same situation, or he's languishing in an immigration detention centre, or begging on the streets of Hong Kong.

Just now, edwardandtubs said:

I wonder what happened to the OP. He's either an extremely ungrateful person who asks for help from others but can't be bothered to give an update that could help someone else in the same situation, or he's languishing in an immigration detention centre, or begging on the streets of Hong Kong.

Probably another oddment sitting in his flat in London that has never even been here.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2017 at 3:39 PM, lemonjelly said:

I'd sugar on down to Malaysia, 90 days visa at land border, apply for new PP by post from there.... that's what I did a few years ago... worth checking to see if it's still possible 

A friend of mine did this as well but there might be addl requirements for your country applying for renewel in .my

Maybe I'm the one who is crazy? UK passport holders can apply up to a year before the date of renewal of passport . They don't lose that time as it is added onto the renew passport date. And why would you wait till the last date to jump the country line for your extensions? Would that not be 'playing with fire?'. The same with 90 day reports, you just pop the form and photocopies of passport pages in the post registered and a return envelope with 5baht stamp 7 days before its due. Unless you are working 24/7, I can only assume the 'beer' just won't let you go? Plus unless you are still living in the 70's, you can't pop reminders on your telephone, laptop or the landlady of your favourite bar. perhaps have them put up a notice board to remind you and others renewal dates and birthday's!

oMost UK persons only have to renew their passport 8 or 9 times in their lifetime.(unless you swim with it , wash it or S**t on it) When living as an Expat, loved up or long stay, the passport should never travel daily or out drinking with you. Thai police recommend carrying a copy, you can reproduce the Photo page plus current visa page reduce the size to wallet id size , laminate so the visa is on the back. plus have several full size copies placed in laptop bag, suit case and drawer in your room. Also apply for Thai driving license works as ID. Have a house or condo apply for yellow book and now pink Thai ID. Then there should be no chance of losing your passport or having the police taking you for a ride unless you fail the pee test!

Edited by phetpeter
speelin mistake