Worker arrested over bag theft at Suvarnabhumi Airport

rooster59

Worker arrested over bag theft at Suvarnabhumi Airport

By The Nation

A worker manning a baggage conveyor belt at Suvarnabhumi Airport has been arrested for allegedly stealing a passenger’s bag with 200,000 yen (Bt63,000) in cash.

The arrest of Supittaya Srichalao, 51, was announced at a press conference at Suvarnabhumi Police Station.

The arrest was made after a passenger, Chaiya Prasitthichai, filed a complaint at the police station.

Chaiya said he lost his bag after he placed it on a seat while waiting for his luggage near the 19th conveyor belt.

Police checked feeds from security cameras and saw Supittaya, a contracted worker, allegedly taking the bag away. He was later arrested in his house in Bangkok’s Lat Krabang district. Police said they found the bag in his house but recovered only 30,000 yen. They also seized Bt9,600 in cash from him.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30312383

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-16

Barely two weeks ago we were told that security at Suvarnabhumi was good and that there were no thieves working there. That report was about two weeks after another worker was caught taking stuff from a bag. And here we have another incident.

Fair play to the cops for catching up with the thief fairly quickly. Time I believe for the airport to take a much closer look at who they are employing.

16 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Barely two weeks ago we were told that security at Suvarnabhumi was good and that there were no thieves working there. That report was about two weeks after another worker was caught taking stuff from a bag. And here we have another incident.

Fair play to the cops for catching up with the thief fairly quickly. Time I believe for the airport to take a much closer look at who they are employing.

The 1st thing that came to my mind also

Pretty obvious failure of security when someone can take a bag not belonging to them from the secure zone of the airport. If it can be removed unobserved /unchallenged, presumably it's possible to bring things into the airport via the same route. 

17 hours ago, darksidedog said:

The only problem I have with this statement is I have long thought that both the Police & Government departments should be taking "a much closer look at who they are employing"! :shock1:

Maybe they are ex cops who have been transferred to inactive duty? :whistling:

1 hour ago, Prbkk said:

Pretty obvious failure of security when someone can take a bag not belonging to them from the secure zone of the airport. If it can be removed unobserved /unchallenged, presumably it's possible to bring things into the airport via the same route. 

I think the bag was stolen inside a secure area and was not brought in illegally into that area. It thus posed no security threat. As for screening employees yes, but you can only go so far. There have been many a heist in secure areas around the world which involved employees. On screening the person can be clean but a day later a B 1 m opportunity arise that is too tempting. 

3 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

I think the bag was stolen inside a secure area and was not brought in illegally into that area. It thus posed no security threat. As for screening employees yes, but you can only go so far. There have been many a heist in secure areas around the world which involved employees. On screening the person can be clean but a day later a B 1 m opportunity arise that is too tempting. 

For a sensitive area like baggage handling, I would have expected there to be a "nothing in, nothing out" policy through security...such as exists in most airports. Clearly not at BKK.

Not really surprising as BKK permits staff to carry mobile phones...and use them...while meant to be working: it's not unusual to see staff checking phones, chatting, playing games, rather than attending to their jobs. It wouldn't be tolerated for a nano second anywhere else. Passengers pay for this via the high taxes/charges because of the inefficiency.

On 4/16/2017 at 9:23 AM, darksidedog said:

I worked with an airport supervisor who did evening as a waitress at a hotel i was employed at that was based at the airport. I mentioned to her that I had 400 cigarettes and some drum tobacco stolen out my hold bag somewhere between Bangkok and Edinburgh but stopped at Heathrow, and she told me the baggage handlers are always getting caught stealing or the plane cleaners.

On 4/16/2017 at 3:57 PM, berybert said:

I don't lose sight of my bags in any public place and more often than not will make sure the strap is wrapped around my wrist or ankle.

Some silly people around for sure.

I lose sight of mine every time I hand it over to the airlines so it can go in the belly of the plane.

And I often don't see it again until it's been around the turnstyle once or twice -or more- if the immigration line is a long one after an international flight.

I recall the bad old days when we had to wait in yet another (often very long) line so the security guys could check the luggage tags against the ones stapled to our boarding pass.

I guess that's the compromise between the small risk of getting a bag stolen vs the 100% probability of being delayed by yet another line when they check luggage tags.

And there are many places I've traveled where I'd gladly let go of my bag rather than risk someone (or a gang of someone's) stabbing or shooting me to unwrap it from my wrist or ankle.  There is nothing in there worth a trip to the hospital, much less the morgue.

1 minute ago, impulse said:

I lose sight of mine every time I hand it over to the airlines so it can go in the belly of the plane.

And I often don't see it again until it's been around the turnstyle once or twice -or more- if the immigration line is a long one after an international flight.

I recall the bad old days when we had to wait in yet another (often very long) line so the security guys could check the luggage tags against the ones stapled to our boarding pass.

I guess that's the compromise between the small risk of getting a bag stolen vs the 100% probability of being delayed by yet another line when they check luggage tags.

And there are many places I've traveled where I'd gladly let go of my bag rather than risk someone (or a gang of someone's) stabbing or shooting me to unwrap it from my wrist or ankle.  There is nothing in there worth a trip to the hospital, much less the morgue.

You put your hand luggage in the hold ?  That's what this story is about a man whos bag was stolen while he was waiting to claim his luggage.

I don't tend to carry a bag with me anywhere other than an airport, its what pockets are for, sadly men feel the need to be like women now-a-days and have to carry a bag full of crap around with them.