Songkran: Rules of engagement.

Peterw42

For many, its almost over but in Pattaya the big day is tomorrow.

I know it seems like mayhem but I have noticed the following rules of engagement that most Thais will follow.

Armed on not armed, If someone is carrying a pistol, hose, bucket etc, has a 44 gallon drum full of ice water, thats "Game on". If someone is not armed, thats a small squirt/spash and does not warrant a bucket of ice water over their head.

Working or not working, Most Thais will not go crazy wetting Bike taxi guy, lady with noodle cart, girl in nurses uniform etc. Again, its a small spash in the spirit of songkran, not a drenching.

Riding/Driving, most people wont go for the person driving and not if they are going fast. You can often see the baht bus passengers are soaked and the driver is relatively dry with window down.

Eyes and ears are usually off limits for high pressure pistols etc, except for westerners who seem to aim at eyes exclusively.

The only exception to these rules is a female in a tight tshirt that will cling when wet, thats "game on"no matter what the circumstances

A final Tip, if you dont want to get completely drenched, carry an old broken telephone and pretend to be talking on it, 80% of people will see the phone and not drench.

I hope everyone in Pattaya has a great day tomorrow.

Edited by Peterw42

I've been "playing" Songkran for years.  A couple of days ago I was riding on the back of a bhat bus.  Then suddenly from my side a guy hit me squarely in the face with a 3 gallon bucket of water. Broke my glasses on my face and dazed me.  I boxed for years and have never been completely knocked out but have been close several times. And that's what it felt like. It's took me about a day to recover but I was back in the game yesterday and going out for the next couple of days.  IMHO Foreigners have ruined and are ruining the celebration.  It's meant to play it's not meant for knocking someone's head off or hurting anyone.

Edited by joeyg

2 minutes ago, joeyg said:

I've been "playing" Songkran for years.  A couple of days ago I was riding on the back of a bhat bus.  Then suddenly from my side a guy hit me squarely in the face with a 3 gallon bucket of water. Broke my glasses on my face and dazed me.  I boxed for years and have never been completely knocked out but have been close several times. And that's what it felt like. It's took me about a day to recover but I was back in the game yesterday and going out for the next couple of days.  IMHO Foreigners have ruined and are ruining the celebration.  It's meant to play it's not meant for knocking someone's head off are hurting anyone.

Thai or a westerner ? A lot of westerners dont get it and will target anyone and the degrees of wetting someone depending on circumstances is lost. 

Yesterday there were three young ties coming down the street on a scooter on Soi Buakao, That is quite dangerous even on a normal day. A Farner got a big bucket of water time that correctly and Blasted the driver in the face with it. The driver swerved and crashed and was hit by an oncoming scooter with one of those big square side car's loaded with ice. It was a pretty bad accident and two of the three guys were taken away in an ambulance. That's not what I call a happy new year! Why do these <deleted> do that take huge buckets of water and time it so they can blast the face Of people on oncoming scooters. I just don't get it!  It seems that they are clearly trying to inflict some damage it's pretty <deleted> up really.  Other than a few extreme incidents it's been a great Songkran in Pattaya.  

I just feel more on guard now Since almost getting knocked out by getting blasted in the face myself.  Some nasty sick foreigners in this town.

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

Thai or a westerner ? A lot of westerners dont get it and will target anyone and the degrees of wetting someone depending on circumstances is lost. 

No it's all foreigners doing that. I rarely if ever see Thais throwing water in an aggressive way trying to harm someone. I guess it does happen but for the life of me right now I can't remember Seeing a Thai engage like that.

4 minutes ago, joeyg said:

No it's all foreigners doing that. I rarely if ever see Thais throwing water in an aggressive way trying to harm someone. I guess it does happen but for the life of me right now I can't remember Seeing a Thai engage like that.

Yes, I would agree, I got hit straight in the eyes when riding scooter at speed. a week ago just as songkran was starting, a westerner with one of those high pressure blue plastic things. 

Last year I started wearing earplugs when I get into the action zones. The prime target for foreigners with the high-pressure blue guns are anywhere around the face, eyes or ears. It's pretty <deleted> up.  With the earplugs in and just wearing my sunglasses It seems to be OK. It's interesting as things were winding up last night I scooped up a bucket from the bottom of the barrel and realize that there was a big chunk of ice in the bucket. Glad I saw it although it would've been pretty easy to miss in the low light and after a day of partying. That could've really cause some damage to someone. The potential  could've been a very bad scene. So glad that I caught it in there and dumped it out.

Why do people target the face, eyes and ears? Especially with the high-powered blue guns.

Edited by joeyg

6 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Last year I started wearing earplugs when I get into the action zones. The prime target for foreigners with the high-pressure blue guns are anywhere around the face, eyes or ears. It's pretty <deleted> up.  With the earplugs in and just wearing my sunglasses It seems to be OK. It's interesting as things were winding up last night I scooped up a bucket from the bottom of the barrel and realize that there was a big chunk of ice in the bucket. Glad I saw it although it would've been pretty easy to mess in the low light and after a day of partying. That could've really cause some damage to someone. The potential he could've been a very bad scene. So glad that I sought in there and dumped it out.

Why do people target the face, eyes and ears? Especially with the high-powered blue guns.

Yes, that was sort of the idea behind the post, Most Thais have some rules like you dont hammer the bike taxi guy or a nurse on her way to work etc, and dont shoot directly into eyes, westerners should do the same.

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, that was sort of the idea behind the post, Most Thais have some rules like you dont hammer the bike taxi guy or a nurse on her way to work etc, and dont shoot directly into eyes, westerners should do the same.

Yes however eyes ears and face are the main target For foreigners. Surely they know that it is going to hurt someone. Or possibly cause an accident. Right? Do you think they are consciously trying to do some damage or they are just total and complete idiots?

1 minute ago, joeyg said:

Yes however eyes ears and face are the main target For foreigners. Surely they know that it is going to hurt someone. Or possibly cause an accident. Right? Do you think they are consciously trying to do some damage or they are just total and complete idiots?

It would be interesting to get some other opinions.

1 hour ago, joeyg said:

I doubt it.  Bunch of drunk losers... I'll refrain from saying what nationality the majority of them seem to be.

I'll say it. Brits, alas. I am one too. Outside one bar in Naklua Rd in Pattaya they take a perverse pleasure in hurling buckets full at baht bus passengers. I will never set foot in the place again and I know others with the same point of view.

3 minutes ago, champers said:

I'll say it. Brits, alas. I am one too. Outside one bar in Naklua Rd in Pattaya they take a perverse pleasure in hurling buckets full at baht bus passengers. I will never set foot in the place again and I know others with the same point of view.

Wow!!! You nailed it!!! It was in front of Baracuda bar on Naklua road.  What a bunch of jerk offs!!!  I never really saw it coming until the last moment.  Could have been a lot worse.  My vision did "white out" for a moment.

Edited by joeyg

I live 40 Kms out Udon Thani and it was bad in the village here, especially Friday's. They were soaking anyone passing by with a killer passion. No farangs in sight except this one picking up his 6 year young from her grand mom's house on my motorbike.

Should have taken the car.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

1 minute ago, tartempion said:

I live 40 Kim's out Udon Thani and it was bad in the village here, especially Friday's

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Bad as in people doing stupid things ?

7 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Once a charming Thai festival, Songkran has degenerated into a hideous and violent free for all.

Not what I saw and experienced today - most people seemed to just be enjoying themselves...............:partytime2: