Pattaya finding it hard to clean up its sexy act

webfact

Pattaya finding it hard to clean up its sexy act

By AFP 

pat.jpg

This photo taken on March 29, 2017 shows go go dancers working the poles on a stage at a dance bar in Walking Street in Pattaya. Photo: Roberto Schmidt

In a daring nautical themed outfit, sex worker May confidently predicts the survival of Thai sleaze town Pattaya despite a junta attempt to tame the kingdom’s “Sin City”.

She is bullish because she, like tens of thousands of others in the industry, have no plans to give up their jobs. And there are no signs the hordes of foreign sex tourists are abating.

Two hours east of Bangkok, Pattaya’s bawdy reputation hails from the Vietnam War era when American GIs partied in the city in theiir downtime.

Today, it spins money off its no-holds-barred reputation and its most successful sex workers earn anywhere between THB70,000 – THB150,000 (USD2,000 – USD4,400) a month, as much as ten times the national average wage.

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/features/pattaya-finding-hard-clean-sexy-act/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-04-18

Farang go to Pattaya for one thing ... and that's bom bom every hour or as much as they can. The girls there just take the money and run .. then the next customer comes along and it's bom bom again.  It's sex capital of the world.

The farang can be old and fat, and that don't matter cause bom bom is on the minds of everyone everyday.

30 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Farang go to Pattaya for one thing ... and that's bom bom every hour or as much as they can. The girls there just take the money and run .. then the next customer comes along and it's bom bom again.  It's sex capital of the world.

The farang can be old and fat, and that don't matter cause bom bom is on the minds of everyone everyday.

And that is why they are compensated so well, 10 times the national wage.  That is why farms in certain part of the country have pick up trucks.  That is why some kids go to school.  Boom Boom as you call it is called nation building by the United Nations. 

Whoever wrote this needs to go back to school and learn how to research a topic before talking about it.  Pattaya Beach in the 1970's was nothing even close to what it is today.  There were 3 hotels - Pattaya Palace, Nipa Lodge and 1 or 2 others which I can't recall the names.  The Royal Cliff Hotel opened  about 1973 or 74.  There was 1 street which ran along the beach where the hotels and restaurants were located.  There was also 1 R & R Center on the beach for American GI's on holiday away from the war.  There were also a few bars along the beach.  At that time the beach was clean as was the water.   I was stationed in Thailand with the American Air Force in 1970 - '72 - '75 and went to Pattaya often especially during the '73 - '75 time frame as I was stationed at U-tapao RTNAFLD.  The Pattaya you see today evolved after the American GI's left the country.

Edited by fdimike
additional information

The Junta: "Creating problems where there were none". Probably just imitating Trump admin?

If they don't like Pattaya, how about simply go somewhere else.

There is that gnawing feeling among do-gooders that somewhere, someone, is having a good time.

1 hour ago, Emster23 said:

The Junta: "Creating problems where there were none". Probably just imitating Trump admin?

If they don't like Pattaya, how about simply go somewhere else.

There is that gnawing feeling among do-gooders that somewhere, someone, is having a good time.

Agreed, and what happens time after time, the do gooders who scream the shrillest are usually up to their necks in it.

1 hour ago, fdimike said:

Whoever wrote this needs to go back to school and learn how to research a topic before talking about it.  Pattaya Beach in the 1970's was nothing even close to what it is today.  There were 3 hotels - Pattaya Palace, Nipa Lodge and 1 or 2 others which I can't recall the names.  The Royal Cliff Hotel opened  about 1973 or 74.  There was 1 street which ran along the beach where the hotels and restaurants were located.  There was also 1 R & R Center on the beach for American GI's on holiday away from the war.  There were also a few bars along the beach.  At that time the beach was clean as was the water.   I was stationed in Thailand with the American Air Force in 1970 - '72 - '75 and went to Pattaya often especially during the '73 - '75 time frame as I was stationed at U-tapao RTNAFLD.  The Pattaya you see today evolved after the American GI's left the country.

This article isn't about the history of Pattaya, and research into that by the writer isn't needed or relevant. The article is about the authorities, again, offering pointless quotes about how they are trying to stem or end the nightlife NOW. So I'd suggest that it is you who needs to learn to understand what the subject of the article is before criticizing others. But thank you for the history lesson.

Pattaya is evolving on its own through private sector investment as a diversified beach tourist destination.  It has Walking Street and Soi 6 but it also now has more and more family entertainments being added to those that have already been here.  The city's image will take care of itself--the city government needs to tackle improvements to the infrastructure.

3 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Every big city has night life entertainment it does not do much for me as i do not like noisy bars but on the other hand it does not disturb me either as long as there are other things to do such as beaches parks and malls.

You sir, are indeed a Saint:biggrin:

1 minute ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

You sir, are indeed a Saint:biggrin:

Well Dave its way to much flattering hehehe and Songkraam is about to get off here who knows where i going to end up at the end of the day but on a serious note do u want to know what i like the most about Pattaya?The diversity of somany nationalities living  in one town!

13 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Well Dave its way to much flattering hehehe and Songkraam is about to get off here who knows where i going to end up at the end of the day but on a serious note do u want to know what i like the most about Pattaya?The diversity of somany nationalities living  in one town!

I agree. Songkran is over now where we live.There are not so many diverse nationalities here. Ive   only ever seen a couple of Germans and one Swede. However, if we go to the city, as we do every month to make some noise and play pool, there are a few more. Mainly UK, and Aussies,but its just good to hear my language.

Songkran here is a more quiet affair. We have 3 days of music, boating on the lake,a few beers, and dancing around the band on the stage.And of course the odd beer. Then for those that want a serious soaking, the fire engine comes down and turns on the spray gun.No trouble, just powder and a little water.On the 4th day, about 3pm, the music lorry comes through the village, then we all go crazy for 3 hours. Its great fun, and the beautiful village girls buy whiskey and get quite friendly. I would rather have this that all the Pattaya crap. Moved from there 2 years ago, after owning 2 bars, for 5 years, and have never regretted it for one minute

Enjoy yourself but take care

KKD

Edited by Khon Kaen Dave
spelling error

All this is just the tip of the iceberg. If the Thai authorities really want to crack down on the sex industry they should turn their attention to the home-grown variety catering for Thais from all walks of life.

According to a number of surveys, the majority of young Thai men get first sexual experience in one of the ubiquitous brothels that exist - and have for centuries, in just about every town and city across the land.

But in the Land of Smiles the official eye does not care to see the official heart doesn't grieve. Hence the tendency blame Thailand's image as the world's sex capital on foreign visitors and residents. If Thailand is the hub of anything, it is the hub of sexual hypocrisy.

Bangkok Barry I would suggest you take a dose of your own medicine.  Pattaya of today is NOT the result of -  "  Pattaya’s bawdy reputation hails from the Vietnam War era when American GIs partied in the city in their downtime. "  It's the results of the tourists who followed.  The writer puts the blame for the Pattaya of today on the American GI's who visited the place during the war which is totally incorrect.

6 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Every big city has night life entertainment it does not do much for me as i do not like noisy bars but on the other hand it does not disturb me either as long as there are other things to do such as beaches parks and malls.

You're only saying that because your missus reads TVF.

Why is everyone suddenly concerned about the future of the sex worker? Are they really of a big concern? Do they need priorities more than other normalised Thai people? They will head back to their farm and everything will be ok, for sure.