British PM May calls for early election on June 8

Jonathan Fairfield

1 minute ago, Grouse said:

My fear is that an increased majority would give TM a perceived mandate to crash out of the EU with all that would incur. Surely nobody believes the Con Party has the best interests of the majority at heart. I don't.

The Tories are exactly the same as every other political party; they have the interests of themselves and their members at heart.

Most politicians of all parties sincerely believe that those interests coincide with the best interests for the country as a whole; sometimes they are right.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

Letting millions of morons vote works well? Dont think so

Well it worked in the Brexit referendum.... er, well it worked well in the American presidential elections....er, well it worked well in Turkey.... oh, never mind....

7 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Those that took the king's shilling don't seem to give a damn about those who gave the shillings to the king!

Many have been able to retire relatively early and supported by the tax payer.

No problem with that but I expect my opinions to be treated with respect ?

Just the way you respect other peoples opinions that disagree with you?

2 minutes ago, Grouse said:
12 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

Letting millions of morons vote works well? Dont think so

Well it worked in the Brexit referendum.... er, well it worked well in the American presidential elections....er, well it worked well in Turkey.... oh, never mind....

Yet if you weren't given a vote you would also be annoyed!

2 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

The Tories are exactly the same as every other political party; they have the interests of themselves and their members at heart.

Most politicians of all parties sincerely believe that those interests coincide with the best interests for the country as a whole; sometimes they are right.

Hmmm, I think Con Party cynicism could power the national grid!

Corbynites are delusional but not cynical.

Just now, 7by7 said:

Politics is a 1 horse race. That horse is called Self Interest.

But the nitwits that follow political parties for life like to think they their votes are almighty and powerful.

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

Just the way you respect other peoples opinions that disagree with you?

I do respect other people's opinions. Sometimes others don't like it when I point out facts. Genuinely no desire to offend anyone ?. No, really.

2 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I do respect other people's opinions. Sometimes others don't like it when I point out facts. Genuinely no desire to offend anyone ?. No, really.

I think others don't mind you showing them the errors of their ways, but by calling people numpties doesn't help your cause, I would stick to being a genius if I were you.

8 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

Most intelligent people choose independence. Only young dunces and slaves wouldnt apart from the globalist crooks.

I suspect "most intelligent people" want what gives happiness and security for themselves, their families and their communities. Freedom of choice is key if that's what you mean by independence. But man is a gregarious animal and we seek community and society; we club together. We could discuss this at length....

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

I think others don't mind you showing them the errors of their ways, but by calling people numpties doesn't help your cause, I would stick to being a genius if I were you.

I accept that

But let me reiterate what I have said about numpties

1) It's a humourous Scottish expression best translated as silly Billy or twit! It's not intended to offend

2) I reserve it for those who voted without apparently researching the ramifications

Shall I use a different term? ?

5 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I accept that

But let me reiterate what I have said about numpties

1) It's a humourous Scottish expression best translated as silly Billy or twit! It's not intended to offend

2) I reserve it for those who voted without apparently researching the ramifications

Shall I use a different term? ?

It doesn't appear to be an humorous expression to me.

Taken from the Oxford English dictionary:-

NOUN

British 
informal 

• A stupid or ineffectual person.

You don't think calling some-one stupid is not offensive, I beg to differ. People that don't share your opinion are not stupid,  they just don't agree with you. And it might be better if you didn't look for any other offensive terminology to insult people that disagree with you. 

20 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I suspect "most intelligent people" want what gives happiness and security for themselves, their families and their communities. Freedom of choice is key if that's what you mean by independence. But man is a gregarious animal and we seek community and society; we club together. We could discuss this at length....

Letting foreigners make decisions for you is not what brings happiness. If you are a farmer you don't want others telling you to rip up the corn and plant beans if corn is more profitable for you.

23 minutes ago, vogie said:

Rather harmless. Intelligent people don't get upset over trivial stuff.

9 minutes ago, vogie said:

It doesn't appear to be an humorous expression to me.

Taken from the Oxford English dictionary:-

NOUN

British 
informal 

• A stupid or ineffectual person.

You don't think calling some-one stupid is not offensive, I beg to differ. People that don't share your opinion are not stupid,  they just don't agree with you. And it might be better if you didn't look for any other offensive terminology to insult people that disagree with you. 

Ok

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Numpty

Lets drop it now and get back to the topic ?

Edited by Grouse

5 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Yes that is broadly my analysis also, some attempt has to be made to go beyond the mud slinging and ask why now? That is the question of the day (Well yesterday).  Despite her repeatedly denying she would call an election, she saw that the simple and simplistic in/out Brexit was never going to happen, and as things came unstuck the the blame would fall on the Tories in 2020, who else can the voters blame?  Forget Corbyn's vomit inducing duplicity on Brexit, I expect he will be long gone after the likely significant loss of seats to come. Ukip are disappearing from view with their Xenophobic filth. May is obviously a nasty piece of work, but stupid she is not.

I think both you and JackScarlett are right on the money. In politics its every man/woman for themselves. After the cashiers window there still will be a whole world of political cronyism open to her book deal you name it. The whole process is so predictable its sickening. 

3 hours ago, Orac said:

Seems an odd tactic by Labour to vote for an election rather than just abstain - without that 67% of MPs backing an election then TM to need hold a no-confidence vote in her leadership and 'lose' which would be a more entertaining spectacle.

Not sure whether it is 2/3 majority on the vote or 2/3 of MP's (434) needed to vote in favour... if the latter then they would only need to count those in favour, I favour the latter as it was never intended that just one party could call an election on their own, but more probably if say 600 MP's vote then they need 400 MP's to vote for.

Problem is   

As a relative newcomer to these forums the ad hominem & slang name calling does unfortunately lower & occasionally diverts the aim of that persons argument and indeed post. (I'm infrequently also guilty m'lord)

However I must confess to having a tough Ayrshire skin combined with my non disclosed background of being aware people's views do differ along with they're political support and alliance.

A constructive, balanced and progressive debate is what most aim for not a schoolyard slander deliberately intending to hack people off, I often disagree with a few on here but keeping it civil is the MO.

At least the forum hasn't descended into PMQ's.....yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A baiting post has been removed.   The very vast majority of posters have been able to discuss the topic in a reasonably civil manner.   Let's not let the one or two trolls ruin that for the rest.   

Please stay on topic and ignore attempts to bait you with their personal and off-topic remarks.  

13 minutes ago, citybiker said:

Over 100 abstained.

Yet to see full breakdown of the culprits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

115 to be exact, Some may have a good excuse but I bet a few Labour MP's felt like a turkey voting for Xmas...

To be honest I was expecting at least 56 against.