Best Thai Visa to live and run business with Wife in Thailand

16 hours ago, dentonian said:

According to the DLT website a Non Imm Visa is required even  for the first temporary 2 year licence.

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/one-year-license/

However the only thing consistent in Thailand is the inconsistency, so it really depends whether your local DLT centre enforces the rules or not.

You mean that website where one year licenses are mentioned?

But even there, if you read they only mention non immigrant as a requirement for a 5 year license, which is correct. One year licenses can and are regularly issued on visa exempt entries and tourist visas, the possible hickup being the ability to get a certificate of residence. But that can nearly always be done also.

Lots of people quote what the rules and laws are regarding visas, extensions and WP' and 99% of the time they are correct.
My take on it is that the law or rule that is applied at any specific establishment or time is the interpretation made at that time and place by the official stating that rule or law.
I rely on nothing being exactly the same as it was the last time I dealt with it.

I agree. Go to the Thai Immigration Police Website and click English. It is all layed out but the main thing I got from it and from my personal experience is that it is ultimately up to the Immigration Officer handling your case and what he tells the boss that has to sign off on it. The translation to English was - at the disgretion of the immigration officer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

On 4/20/2017 at 2:16 PM, dentonian said:

According to the DLT website a Non Imm Visa is required even  for the first temporary 2 year licence.

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/one-year-license/

However the only thing consistent in Thailand is the inconsistency, so it really depends whether your local DLT centre enforces the rules or not.

Where did you read that about a 2 year license, please? It usually starts with a one year permit, then you can apply for a five year DL.

I've got my licenses for a long time and met a lot of people who all had to show a Non Immigrant visa. Except those who found a way to pay some money under the table.

Regarding bank accounts, there's a Bangkok bank in Krung Thep where anybody can open up a bank account. But that isn't the norm here.

Thailand has changed many laws and regulations for foreigners and even when you only send a letter abroad from LOS you'll need your passport, the post office makes copies and keeps them. ( Just happened to a friend of mine today)

If you pay enough money to an employee at the Land Transport Department, nobody will check on your visa status, of course.

They even fill out the questions for you. Money rules, but not only here. 

Edited by ajarngreg

17 hours ago, stevenl said:

But even there, if you read they only mention non immigrant as a requirement for a 5 year license, which is correct. One year licenses can and are regularly issued on visa exempt entries and tourist visas, the possible hickup being the ability to get a certificate of residence. But that can nearly always be done also.

It's not true and you can check plenty of other websites, for example here:

http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

A Non-Immigrant visa is needed for the first- a 1 year, and again for the 5 year license. Some departments are even asking for a work permit.

8 hours ago, ajarngreg said:

Where did you read that about a 2 year license, please? It usually starts with a one year permit, then you can apply for a five year DL.

They started issuing 2 year licenses at least a year ago or more  instead of the one year licenses.

8 hours ago, ajarngreg said:

I've got my licenses for a long time and met a lot of people who all had to show a Non Immigrant visa. Except those who found a way to pay some money under the table.

They first started issuing the new 2 year temporary licence around 2 years ago.

Type 1 - Temporary Private Car: This licence is issued to those who have successfully completed the driving test. This licence is valid for a period of 2 years

Type 2 - Private Car: This licence is issued to those who have possessed Temporary Licence for a period of 2 years. This licence is valid for a period of five years. Private Lifetime Car is no longer issued to new applicants but remains valid to existing holders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_licence_in_Thailand

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 6:59 AM, stevenl said:

That's the one Steven!

You don't expect them to alter the website to reflect it's now a 2 year temporary licence until their ready do you :coffee1:

It actually states 'Visa' for the first 2 year licence.

My DLT centre won't issue a licence of any kind on a Visa exempt.......that isn't a Visa.

They won't issue the 5 year licence unless your on a Non Imm or extension, otherwise they re-issue the 2 year one again.

9 hours ago, ajarngreg said:

A Non-Immigrant visa is needed for the first- a 1 year, and again for the 5 year license. Some departments are even asking for a work permit.

That's a commercial website and the information is incorrect/outdated in many ways.

For example:

Valid international driver's license plus signed photocopy or translated regular driving licence from the applicant's home country, certified by Embassy or consulate. (if available).

Absolute nonsense. If your home Country licence is in English, that is acceptable to obtain a Thai licence.

An International driving permit is only required when your home Country licence is not in English.

The only circumstance where a translation and certification may be required is someone holding a home Country licence not in English and not holding an International driving permit.

10 hours ago, ajarngreg said:

Totally incorrect information on that website.

57 minutes ago, dentonian said:

That's the one Steven!

You don't expect them to alter the website to reflect it's now a 2 year temporary licence until their ready do you :coffee1:

It actually states 'Visa' for the first 2 year licence.

My DLT centre won't issue a licence of any kind on a Visa exempt.......that isn't a Visa.

They won't issue the 5 year licence unless your on a Non Imm or extension, otherwise they re-issue the 2 year one again.

Latter is correct procedure, but former isn't. In Many DLT's you can get a Thai DL on visa exempt or TV.

On 4/20/2017 at 9:54 AM, stevenl said:

Getting a DL is even possible on a visa exempt entry.

" It's sad that people here post wrong information,  "

Anything can be done in this country, Anything, nine years here have seen so much shenanigans going on 

it beggers belief, there is a door for everything..................

4 hours ago, KBsinter said:

Anything can be done in this country, Anything, nine years here have seen so much shenanigans going on 

it beggers belief, there is a door for everything..................

Some doors have a habit of slamming shut in your face when you least expect it though.

??