Bangkok authorities to press on with street food ban despite foreign media shock

webfact

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The CNN corespondents in thailand are really trash! One of their articles talking about Or Tor Kor Market made me laugh...its a really over priced market controlled by mafias although owned by a government agency! They should have done some investigative journalism by asking why a government agency owned markets sells things at overpriced values and also exposed how the stalls are subleased over and over till prices are so high.

3 hours ago, InsertUserName said:

I have no interest to eat in a dingy shitty over air-conditioned mall. These guys are part of bangkok life and should be allow to trade in a way they have always known. Ironically I've received considerably more bouts of food poisoning from restaurants than from street food. 

Same here.  I've had food poisoning twice in thailand, both times from eating at respectable hotels.  I never got sick eating the street food in Bkk. 

Street food is part of the scene and the culture. I'm in favor of a bit more hygiene regulation (remove the meat that has been under the sun for hours), but total removal will make the city really boring, make the mee-kha starve and need to find new avenues, and force low-income people to spend even more money for food. Anyway as with every crackdown in Thailand, it never lasts.

This guy from the BMA sure doesn't eat food from street vendors ( never has). He also doesn't think that there are poor people in Thailand either (not where he lives anyway). People in power that have no idea about the realities of their countries (not just in Thailand either). For god's sake tourist come here for the craziness of the Thai markets & to eat street food.......they can't do this in their nanny state run countries. That's the draw card for them.

3 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

So lets blame the foreign press. If Thailand allowed freedom of speech, then I am sure the Thai newspapers would have a say and show a disagreement/argument for the street stalls to stay, like good journalism should.

Still much easier to blame them pesky foreigners eh!

Read today's opinion piece in the BP.

6 hours ago, AGareth2 said:

following the Singapore model

And will fail spectacularly in just the same way Taksin tried to turn Phuket into Singapore 2. lol. 

IF this goes ahead, it will be the downfall of the junta. You can take away any liberties the people thought they may have had, but don't you mess with their food.

2 hours ago, melovethai said:

regulating yes total removal no. clean popular ones should be offered regulated licenses. Unclean practices have to go

I would say depending on the width of the sidewalk, if there is plenty of room for the pedestrians to walk in different directions at the same time, and don't have to stand waiting or walk on the road, then leave the vendors alone provided they have regulated licenses.

5 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

No it isnt, its a wonderful city with beautiful parks, recreation areas, sublime sport facilities, great schools and lots of space for children to play.  I fail to see how Singapore is boring. Bangkok is dirty, jammed and there is no space to do any outdoor activities. 

If you like S'pore for more than 3 days, it says something unflattering about your character.  It's a total bore of a place

8 hours ago, steven100 said:

So all the farang whinges who thought this wasn't a good idea can now eat humble pie because news has come out that the food stalls are now going to be allowed but regulated better, safer, and allow less footpath crowding. 

Let's hope so. But wonder who will own the designated areas and collect rents and admin charges from the vendors?

I love the street food carts and for such a little hassle in certain areas, ( gez  don't go there)
having my noodle soup from a Thai ladies cart on Petchaburi road for 7 years and for 25 baht where are 
you going to get such a cheap whole some meal, 
I say leave them be , most pay money to trade,
over regulated pathway is starting to impinge on the Thai-ness of 
Bangkok,

You must be like a really small person... Those 25 baht noodles with 3 meat balls or wonton couldn't fill up a fly! Even after a large one I have to go to 7 eleven and get something else.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yeah but why would a city like Bangkok ever want to end up a sterile, soulless bore of a place like S'pore?

With Nana Plaza, soi 4 and soi cowboy plus a thousand beer bars all screaming handsome man, it will never be boring! It will never be Singapore at least for another 10 to 20 years or so.
Nothing lasts for ever though. Change is inevitable

Thailand is all about money. The rich want tourists and everyone else to buy food from restaurants(owned by who else?). When the food centers make too much money, they will either be eliminated or charged rental fees so high, we will be paying $5-10 for pad thai. The rich are in power now and what little income the poor make will slowly but surely be taken away from them.

No it isnt, its a wonderful city with beautiful parks, recreation areas, sublime sport facilities, great schools and lots of space for children to play.  I fail to see how Singapore is boring. Bangkok is dirty, jammed and there is no space to do any outdoor activities. 

And you think if they ban the street food vendors Bangkok turns into Singapore?
Dream on....

10 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

I take it you don't get out much in Bangkok then? There are many great parks, recreation and exercise facilities all over Bangkok.

11 hours ago, leeneeds said:

I love the street food carts and for such a little hassle in certain areas, ( gez  don't go there)

having my noodle soup from a Thai ladies cart on Petchaburi road for 7 years and for 25 baht where are 

you going to get such a cheap whole some meal, 

I say leave them be , most pay money to trade,

over regulated pathway is starting to impinge on the Thai-ness of 

Bangkok,

If you like to eat that shit you can cook it by yourself every day........with unwashed salad, lots of sugar, add some MSG, filthy fish sauce and uncleaned pots and pans. Enjoy. But....there might be a corner for Cheap Charlies somewhere.....

If you like to eat that shit you can cook it by yourself every day........with unwashed salad, lots of sugar, add some MSG, filthy fish sauce and uncleaned pots and pans. Enjoy. But....there might be a corner for Cheap Charlies somewhere.....

I think you don't have an idea of good street food neither how to cook a good noodle soup

Fascinating that foreign media should so-say be so up in arms about the removal of the food stalls yet seem to offer no voice when it comes to motorcyclists riding - and parking - illegally on the pavement. Should have thought they would have a field day over that and the BMA's non-action in regards to the ever present menace.

1 hour ago, sawadee1947 said:

Sad to say you have no idea about using your common sense when appraoching a food cart, 

I am not here to give you the lesson you so desperately need,

continue to miss out, and your loss,  such a worldly traveller you must be, your pallet must be outstanding.

3 hours ago, reenatinnakor said:

You must be like a really small person... Those 25 baht noodles with 3 meat balls or wonton couldn't fill up a fly! Even after a large one I have to go to 7 eleven and get something else.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Ah you big stomach, man , have big pocket too,

Singapore is great if you don't mind the soulless people, the cookie-cut urban landscape and that there is nowhere to escape to. Bangkok is dirty and busy, but also alive and in the middle of an entire country with more space and stuff galore!!