Why there are so many women at Thai banks

webfact

Why there are so many women at Thai banks

KENTARO IWAMOTO, Nikkei staff writer

Thailand's female-heavy demographics are shaping its workforce

BANGKOK -- For seven decades, Kasikornbank had never had a female president. That changed last year when Kattiya Indaravijaya was promoted, joining a team of presidents at Thailand's third-largest bank by assets. And if national demographics and the company's employee profile are any guide, chances are she will not be the last: Kasikornbank has twice as many female employees as male.

While Asian economic powerhouses India and China have an unnatural male surplus -- and associated costs to business and the economy -- Thailand has a natural female surplus. Its gender ratio stood at 96.2 men for every 100 women, according to the 2010 census, and the ratio is projected to widen to slightly above 95 in the coming decades, according to a United Nations estimate.

The banking sector, like the population as a whole, reflects this preponderance of women. "In Thailand, the female population ratio is higher," said Kattiya. "Automatically, we have more women.

Full story: http://asia.nikkei.com/Features/Too-many-men/Why-there-are-so-many-women-at-Thai-banks

-- NIKKEI ASIAN REVIEW 2017-04-20

Just the nature of the banking job...more administrative in nature and where a pretty face is probably preferred....and probably more attention to detail given.

Why are construction and truck driving jobs predominately male?....more physical in nature and where a pretty face is not needed.

I would like to known why there are so many women on building sites and doing the gardens (manual job generally) and Thai men are sat watching and drinking whisky. I am generalizing of course but I see it happen very often in numerous places. Very different from the west per say.

I think the banks can hire as they please, unless there is a law against gender discrimination.

The explanation offered by this lady however is ridiculous: it is "automatic" that if there are 5% more women than men in Thailand, then Kasikorn Bank should have 200% more female employees.

(btw, the sex ratio is only 2% in the working age group, it's only for older people that it becomes more skewed)

7 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Why are there so many women at Thai banks...smiling, leading Fat Farangs around like a buffalo on a nose-ring leash?

because most of the farangs in Thailand are like fat buffalos and as such need to be treated similar .....

What a silly article.  Most countries have more women than men and Thailand isn't anywhere close to having one of the highest ratio of women to men. Why not just say they wanted to recycle news from last year regarding the first female president of Kasikorn Bank. 

Bottom line is there are more women in retail type positions in most of the world.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

2 hours ago, arithai12 said:

(btw, the sex ratio is only 2% in the working age group, it's only for older people that it becomes more skewed)

That was the question that I was going to ask as, at least locally, women seem to survive much longer than the men - and I suspect that a higher proportion of young male motorcyclists are killed in accidents than females.

6 hours ago, fruitman said:

I always wonder why it's so busy in the Thai banks. In Europe the customers do everything over internet themselves.

My wife even can't put an automatic payment for her car...so frustrating and undeveloped.

it's called job creation.

5 hours ago, arithai12 said:

I think the banks can hire as they please, unless there is a law against gender discrimination.

The explanation offered by this lady however is ridiculous: it is "automatic" that if there are 5% more women than men in Thailand, then Kasikorn Bank should have 200% more female employees.

There is, of course, the difference in educational levels between the sexes.

Women make up a large percentage of the workers in Thai banks.

How long have you been in Thailand?

Take a look at that sidewalk coffee stand where you get your morning cup of coffee each morning.

I am willing to bet it is run by a woman.

Women make up more than half the workforce in Thailand, and banks are just the same.

That is a reality here in Thailand.

Here in the residence where I live the front desk and the laundry and restaurant are run by women.

The men do the menial jobs, the women are the bosses.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
Added a comment

fruitman I do not & will not use internet banking here or overseas where I am quite a bit.

I do not call that undeveloped I call it prudent after two of my friends lost considerable amounts  transferring monies 

in the system. (nobody knows where it has gone.)

The girls do it well anyway & I  get some exercise

I put this question to the company's accountant, who employs about 10 women and no men.

She said that men have a macho issue, don't like working and try to pass duties on to the girls. They generally cause problems trying to "act like a superior being, joking and flirting" rather than being productive.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

8 hours ago, CantSpell said:

Because you find the bees near the honey

And the honey near the money :cheesy:

Beats internet dating 100%, don't have to ask the guy how much money he has :)

One bank account doesn't say a damn thing...!

10 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Why are there so many women at Thai banks...smiling, leading Fat Farangs around like a buffalo on a nose-ring leash?

Maybe in Patts, but Ive not seen that situation here. In fact Ive never seen a fat felang where i live.But then again, its so quiet here that even the bank guard doesn't wear a gun.

And why do i always see the Noun Ferang (or proper noun) always preceded by the adjective, ' fat'.Surely all the felang's where you live are not fat. But it appears that they are the only ones you ever see.me thinks you are simply quoting somebody Else's post.

10 hours ago, CantSpell said:

Because you find the bees near the honey

And the honey near the money :cheesy:

Beats internet dating 100%, don't have to ask the guy how much money he has :)

Hehe.  While I doubt that is the most common reason, I am sure many of the ladies at the very least become of aware of the possibilities.  In general, bank tellers are not paid well, at least not here in the USA.  In Thailand, the opportunities for women seems a bit narrow so any office type job that is indoors under AC is probably somewhat attractive to them.