Britain will lose more from Brexit than EU, bloc's foreign policy chief says

webfact

17 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

There's lot of stuff that you just wrote that is basically unsound. But there's one huge issue that you don't even seem cognizant of, much less address. It's this: if the UK can withdraw from the EU without suffering for it, then why should any nation stay in the EU if it costs nothing to leave?

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Because they believe being part of the EU benefits their country and so have no desire to leave?

Otherwise, they're staying in the EU not because they support it, but because they're too frightened to leave.  Hardly a ringing endorsement.

21 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Why would they be too frightened to leave if the benefits of leaving outweigh the costs?

You asked the question "if the UK can withdraw from the EU without suffering for it, then why should any nation stay in the EU if it costs nothing to leave?"

I then answered that question by pointing out that if other countries believe they benefit by being part of the EU, then they would have no desire to leave - so it shouldn't matter to them whether the UK withdraws from the EU "without suffering for it".  Edit - as per your original post.

Edited by dick dasterdly

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You asked the question "if the UK can withdraw from the EU without suffering for it, then why should any nation stay in the EU if it costs nothing to leave?"

I then answered that question by pointing out that if other countries believe they benefit by being part of the EU, then they would have no desire to leave - so it shouldn't matter to them whether the UK withdraws from the EU "without suffering for it".  Edit - as per your original post.

It's not a zero sum game either way.

One has to weigh the benefits and disadvantages and allow for "stiction" / inertia ( unless one is an irrational fanatic )

Just now, Grouse said:

It's not a zero sum game either way.

One has to weigh the benefits and disadvantages and allow for "stiction" / inertia ( unless one is an irrational fanatic )

Not sure what this has to do with my post?

But I agree insofar as a large percentage of populations have given up voting (hoping this will make their dis-satisfaction with all politicians clear) or can't be bothered to vote - for pretty much the same reasons....

3 hours ago, oilinki said:

EU is a good club for us. It does need improvements, like any other collective society.

Generally there are more benefits  than negative aspects.

Who precisely is "us". If your referring to the Burocrats in Brussel, Career politicians or big business,then I'm inclined to agree with you.

Infortunately for your arguement, the E.U. Produced more negative aspects than benefits. And that is why the Brits voted out,and why an increasing number of the electorate in the remaining E.U.are also starting to see the light.

12 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Who precisely is "us". If your referring to the Burocrats in Brussel, Career politicians or big business,then I'm inclined to agree with you.

Infortunately for your arguement, the E.U. Produced more negative aspects than benefits. And that is why the Brits voted out,and why an increasing number of the electorate in the remaining E.U.are also starting to see the light.

Us = Europeans.

Maybe it was bad marriage for UK, maybe not. I don't really care. This process has shown to the rest of us, how utterly dirty and inefficient UK politics really is.

I'm personally increasingly happy that UK is leaving EU. Let's get this over with so that both sides can start doing new things instead of talking BS.

On 4/24/2017 at 8:16 AM, pitrevie said:
On 4/21/2017 at 9:49 AM, ROGER DUNN said:

Why is the EU making it difficult for the UK to leave is because they are losing a key contributor for supporting the non productive  country members and are fearful that they alone will not be able afford  resulting in [ fingers crossed ]  the Downfall of this ludicrous idea that Germany wants to Rule Europe . The UK  Will " Ride the Storm " with all the Non European Countries that are willing to do Trade with them . EU just get over it ,  the Club did not Work , we want out !!!!!! as I think many more will follow .

Well said! As usual just more doom-mongering by an EU "Official" without any factual evidence. 

"Let me tell you that to me all member states are important, equally, because one can be contributing more on some policies than others. But I think our British friends will lose more than what we lose," she said. 

Well Missy Mogherini, contributions are certainly not equal, so why not think about it some more?

Us = Europeans.

Maybe it was bad marriage for UK, maybe not. I don't really care. This process has shown to the rest of us, how utterly dirty and inefficient UK politics really is.

I'm personally increasingly happy that UK is leaving EU. Let's get this over with so that both sides can start doing new things instead of talking BS.

Whilst I agree that UK politics has flaws, the EU political inefficiency element also has to be highlighted & since Brexit result the European Parliament are equally if not more dirty, Guy & Antonio's press conference is just one example of many.

The only difference between the UK & other nations (that appear unofficially unhappy) is the UK had the spine & minerals to do something about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On April 25, 2017 at 1:26 PM, oilinki said:

Us = Europeans.

It's not just the Brits who are fed-up with this  so- called Union,you could also say the same for an increasing number in the rest of Europe. An example being the 42% of the French, who only this last week voted for candidates who are anti- E.U. 

And as for U.K politics, let's have a look at E.U. Politics.

3 hours ago, nontabury said:

It's not just the Brits who are fed-up with this  so- called Union,you could also say the same for an increasing number in the rest of Europe. An example being the 42% of the French, who only this last week voted for candidates who are anti- E.U. 

And as for U.K politics, let's have a look at E.U. Politics.

We all are fed up of spending,

When our economies become unified, we'll be able to catch these abusers in real time.

There is less space for those people.

27 minutes ago, oilinki said:

We all are fed up of spending,

When our economies become unified, we'll be able to catch these abusers in real time.

There is less space for those people.

If you are suggesting the UK adopt the Euro, That is never going to happen. Even within the Euro countries there is no unification economically, Does Greece have the same standard of living as Germany, what of Spain and Portugal, Do people have it as good in Poland as in France? You are right about leaving and ending the BS!  

1 minute ago, CharlieK said:

If you are suggesting the UK adopt the Euro, That is never going to happen. Even within the Euro countries there is no unification economically, Does Greece have the same standard of living as Germany, what of Spain and Portugal, Do people have it as good in Poland as in France? You are right about leaving and ending the BS!  

I don't care about UK nor the currency it uses.

The whole UK is less important than Turkey. Get used to that.

The EU wants the UK to remain a member, Turkey however is not welcome but used as a Politcal pawn by the EU for reasons widely been documented by the world media.

I'm more than happy to be less important than Turkey, I certainly don't class myself anymore important than the Euro adopted countries however I also care less for the obnoxious arrogance of the EU, so relieved the UK is leaving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, oilinki said:

Turkey is more important? hahahahahahahaha. are you trolling?  

Turkey may be important to the EU, only because they are not capable of controlling their own borders. Fortunately there is that stretch of water between us and them. 

Edited by CharlieK

Just now, delh said:

Will Turkey be a net contributor, any bets?

Yes a flood of migrants will be their contribution. wandering off topic a bit. Turkey really doesn't have anything to do with Brexit whence the suggestion that someone may be trolling! lol