ATM fees on the rise

Genericnic

Just a note of caution...  If you use a service like Transferwise, carefully read the fees and exchange rates page before you actually transfer funds.  The services - regardless of what people may tell you - are NOT free and except for very large sums that are negotiated separately from the usual transfer page, are NOT a good deal.

OFX is a good alternative, were fast transfers and very reasonable fees.  There are based in Australia and do transfers in all currencies.

https://www.ofx.com/en-au/

On 4/22/2017 at 11:29 PM, naboo said:

Use online transfer instead via a third party. I use Transferwise which gives an excellent rate (much better than the banks or visa) and charges very little. Its peer-to-peer, they take advantage of people moving money in different directions.  (my last transfer of GBP330 cost about 3 quid).

And if you click this link, your first transfer up to GBP500 will be with no charge.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone please explain in sufficient detail what steps must be taken to transfer funds through BB New York?  I use USAA for all banking but they impose a hefty international wire transfer fee to send money to our local BB account. I keep hearing about BB New York but never can find any information on how to set up a transfer through them.  Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Genericnic said:

With Schwab, the ATM fees are reimbursed to your account at the end of each month.

David

That's a really nice deal. So how do they know what the fee is to reimburse, since the fee is included with the withdrawal amount. Do you have to send them receipts?

7 minutes ago, bubba said:

That's a really nice deal. So how do they know what the fee is to reimburse, since the fee is included with the withdrawal amount. Do you have to send them receipts?

Your statement shows the separate fee.  They know what it is.

37 minutes ago, Fore Man said:

Can anyone please explain in sufficient detail what steps must be taken to transfer funds through BB New York?  I use USAA for all banking but they impose a hefty international wire transfer fee to send money to our local BB account. I keep hearing about BB New York but never can find any information on how to set up a transfer through them.  Thanks. 

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx

23 minutes ago, bubba said:

OK, good. For my debit card, the fee gets lumped in to the total withdrawal amount, so the fee is hidden.

As noted, Schwab sees the Thai bank ATM fees and reimburses them without you (their cardholder) having to do anything. I've never heard of any problem with people getting ATM fee reimbursements from them.

But, I have had a couple of OTHER small U.S. banks, that by policy, reimburse foreign ATM fees, tell me that their systems could NOT see the Thai bank ATM fee component when I made withdrawals, specifically withdrawals coming from TMB and AEON ATMs. I only noticed it when, for some of my accounts that reimburse ATM fees, they kept missing reimbursing me on certain withdrawals. So I subsequently stopped using TMB ATMs and switched to Krungsri, since those are the two main Thai banks that still allow 30K baht ATM withdrawals.

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

I just checked my receipt.  I paid a 150 baht ATM fee on a15000 baht withdrawal from the AEON ATM in Siam TV on April 22. 

AEON, not being a Thai bank per se but more of a credit card type company, still has a lower ATM fee than the regular Thai banks, last time I checked. But the downside of using AEON ATMs is that their maximum withdrawal is only 20K vs 30K at Krungsri and TMB, which both charge 220b per withdrawal.

So it just depends on how much money you need when you go to make an ATM withdrawal, and how many you'd need to make in a month -- assuming you're NOT using a card that reimburses Thai bank ATM fees.

2 hours ago, Genericnic said:

With Schwab, the ATM fees are reimbursed to your account at the end of each month.

David

Shhh, don't tell the plebes; if too many get reimbursed they may start charging all of us.

220Bt for a withdrawal is definitely a scam.. the cost to the banks for a withdrawal is negligible ... but since consumers have no power they will gouge as much as they can..  I take cash advance over the counter whenever I can.. but even there my thinking is that they make up the difference by giving you a crap rate... lol..

Why not use a bank with a swipe machine or a money changer that give a bit more & charge b30 & your home bank dont charge.well my uk bank doesnt charge me but would using an atm but i do pay £10 a.month,it works for me as i am hardly in the uk always working abroad.& stay a long time in thailand

I will only speak for myself and my direct research in Pattaya, where I've live for 10 plus years. Years ago I did a personal research as to what Thai Banks were charging in general out of their ATM, compare it with the exchange rate of the day.  Why?

Because on a personal note and the way these banks do things I think their system is like 50 years behind times aside from the model ATM machine. It is like pulling teeth whenever you need something simple.  Thailand speaking whoever came up with you needing to go to the branch to do business outside of taking out a few baht. On a serious note I'm scare to death the bank collapse whether I will ever get my money back. In the U.S. we have FDIC, protects you to 250,000 USD per account. Here the way they discriminate against foreigner would I ever get a baht back before a Thai?

With that being said,  I pay the charges for years that is the price of my decision, and I take money in different forms and have a Charles Schwab account too. I've done research on all the Thai Banks and they aren't hurting in their balance sheet and I fully understand the charges but I don't know of many banks around the world charging what Thailand banks are charging. It is like the due pricing at Amusement park for foreigners. This is the mentally of the Thai government and banks. So I put in what I need for a emergency in my Thai bank account out of principal and keep everything overseas.

The one Bank which I thought was a bank until recently is Aeon,  a Japanese company only two in Pattaya, as many know they are charging 150 and doing just fine. In my research I also found they provide the best rates. Example:  If the exchange rate is at 35, the rate is around 34.60, out of the ATM, with 150 fee, go to Bangkok Bank, it would be a charge of 220, plus the rate was 33.40, they not only hit you with the 220, but short you on the exchange rate. So for years, Whenever I need money I just plan my trip to one of the Aeon.

A few months ago, I noticed at the Pattaya Lotus Branch they were putting in new machine, thereafter I found my Visa Debit card wouldn't work, after minutes the card would return saying the machine is off line, happen over and over again? No money was ever given but looking online the money was taken out and put back in.

After several times I contacted Aeon, they did the research while I was on the phone and came back with this.. the current new machine NO LONGER TAKE VISA OR M/C DEBIT CARDS even my Charles Schwab for large amounts like I was doing for years 18,000 plus, it now only for amounts lower than 8,000 baht. Recently tried it for 10,000 spit back out reset the amount 3,000 baht, got money? 

I also told the clerk at Aeon , can I do the withdraw with my card over the counter "said they had no money on hand " only in machines.  I was just about to try and open a account and ship 10 million baht, told me they aren't a bank but a Financial institution!

So I'm looking for a foreign bank proven that I can ship that amount to Thailand.

In the end, sorry so long but as far as I'm concern Thai banks are a big rip off, greed. I wonder how a Thai bank official visiting U.S. if they put their Bangkok Bank card into a ATM, and told them your are Thai that is 20.00 U.S.?

9 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

I will only speak for myself and my direct research in Pattaya, where I've live for 10 plus years. Years ago I did a personal research as to what Thai Banks were charging in general out of their ATM, compare it with the exchange rate of the day.  Why?

Because on a personal note and the way these banks do things I think their system is like 50 years behind times aside from the model ATM machine. It is like pulling teeth whenever you need something simple.  Thailand speaking whoever came up with you needing to go to the branch to do business outside of taking out a few baht. On a serious note I'm scare to death the bank collapse whether I will ever get my money back. In the U.S. we have FDIC, protects you to 250,000 USD per account. Here the way they discriminate against foreigner would I ever get a baht back before a Thai?

With that being said,  I pay the charges for years that is the price of my decision, and I take money in different forms and have a Charles Schwab account too. I've done research on all the Thai Banks and they aren't hurting in their balance sheet and I fully understand the charges but I don't know of many banks around the world charging what Thailand banks are charging. It is like the due pricing at Amusement park for foreigners. This is the mentally of the Thai government and banks. So I put in what I need for a emergency in my Thai bank account out of principal and keep everything overseas.

The one Bank which I thought was a bank until recently is Aeon,  a Japanese company only two in Pattaya, as many know they are charging 150 and doing just fine. In my research I also found they provide the best rates. Example:  If the exchange rate is at 35, the rate is around 34.60, out of the ATM, with 150 fee, go to Bangkok Bank, it would be a charge of 220, plus the rate was 33.40, they not only hit you with the 220, but short you on the exchange rate. So for years, Whenever I need money I just plan my trip to one of the Aeon.

A few months ago, I noticed at the Pattaya Lotus Branch they were putting in new machine, thereafter I found my Visa Debit card wouldn't work, after minutes the card would return saying the machine is off line, happen over and over again? No money was ever given but looking online the money was taken out and put back in.

After several times I contacted Aeon, they did the research while I was on the phone and came back with this.. the current new machine NO LONGER TAKE VISA OR M/C DEBIT CARDS even my Charles Schwab for large amounts like I was doing for years 18,000 plus, it now only for amounts lower than 8,000 baht. Recently tried it for 10,000 spit back out reset the amount 3,000 baht, got money? 

I also told the clerk at Aeon , can I do the withdraw with my card over the counter "said they had no money on hand " only in machines.  I was just about to try and open a account and ship 10 million baht, told me they aren't a bank but a Financial institution!

So I'm looking for a foreign bank proven that I can ship that amount to Thailand.

In the end, sorry so long but as far as I'm concern Thai banks are a big rip off, greed. I wonder how a Thai bank official visiting U.S. if they put their Bangkok Bank card into a ATM, and told them your are Thai that is 20.00 U.S.?

Thanks for the info.  I used to do ATM withdraws using AEON and my Visa debit card and then it stopped working.  Now I know why.

8 hours ago, Nowisee said:

curious to hear about some real world up to date on this.  late time I tried using at Airport Central, the ATM indicated a fee of 180 baht.  That was back when every other bank was charging 180 baht.  
Has it gone down?  

AEON had no ATM fees up until about 2/3 years ago.  Then they started charging foreign card withdrawal fees like the rest of the mob.  Why? because they can.

You could have saved yourself a lot of personal research if you had read any of the many, many threads here about ATM fees. The fees were established by the Thai Bankers Association, not the Thai government

AEON is a Japanese Credit card company and as such are not a member of the association. At one time they had no foreign transaction fee and allowed 40,000 THB per pull. They finally realized that their cc customers could no longer use their machines because of all the foreigners getting their cash from them. So they started charging and lowered the per pull limit

What I don't understand about your post is why you are not using your Schwab card and getting the fees reimbursed ?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

33 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

BBL don't normally short you on the FX rate. Use the online rates before withdrawing. The banks adjust throughout the day, sometimes only once, sometimes several times, but BBL often quotes just the once, so at the end of the day, BAY, which is probably second in rates to BBL, could be ahead of BBL.

6 minutes ago, Rotweiler said:

Oh my, a newbie troll.

Yes it is true.

are you serious!

you mean I just simply go inside any bank and hand them my international debit card then they would give me any amount of my money without fees.

too good to be true

Pure Tourist Trap Gouging! The day ATM's went from Free to Fee...never used one again and never will. I understand the fees, but refuse to pay RIP OFF fees. In a country like ScamLand, the fee should be ฿30-50 at most, but this place has gone off the rails when it comes to price gouging. :post-4641-1156693976: :bah:

Edited by Skeptic7

14 minutes ago, Farang hunter said:

are you serious!

you mean I just simply go inside any bank and hand them my international debit card then they would give me any amount of my money without fees.

too good to be true

No, you will need to show you PP as well.

Its quite simple .

ATM fee : Dont use ATM. dont pay ATM fee

2 hours ago, smotherb said:

Still B180-B200 in Hatyai

What bank companies' ATMs are you using that are still charging those rates? And how recently did you use them?

Before the increase to 220b, the standard Thai bank ATM fee was 180b, IIRC. I don't think anyone ever was charging 200b.

18 minutes ago, Farang hunter said:

are you serious!

too good to be true

Yes, I used this method a few years ago with a USA debit card at Bangkok Bank and it worked then...not sure about today. That said...don't go in the bank, but rather to a Bangkok Bank Currency Exchange booth/window. Presented my PP and debit card and the amount requested was processed at the exchange rate posted WITHOUT any fees. As previously mentioned, haven't had the need to try this in 6 years or so.

9 minutes ago, sanemax said:

No, you will need to show you PP as well.

Its quite simple .

ATM fee : Dont use ATM. dont pay ATM fee

Unfortunately, it's not exactly "quite simple".

A lot of Thai bank branches simply won't do counter withdrawals with foreign debit cards. Some will, but finding them is a hit-and-miss proposition.  Prepared to be turned down and have to search around in order to find one, unless you get lucky.

And there doesn't even appear to be much consistency on this even among different branches within the same bank company. Some will, and some won't. Lord knows why. In some cases, they simply tell people to go use their ATMs instead (for obvious reasons).

But it's certainly worth a try, especially if a person doesn't have any home country bank cards that reimburse other banks' ATM charges.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK