ATM fees on the rise

Genericnic

Well out friends at Krungsri Bank (the yellow one) have decided it is time to pay for another swimming pool. Used the ATM near the Shangri-La Hotel today and the fee has now gone up to 220 baht, a 10% increase since I last used it. Don't know if that increase is just for Krungsri or all banks but my bet is on all of them. Amazes me what they charge when you can do an ATM withdrawal anywhere in Japan for free. 

David

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Been 220 baht for a while now at all banks for foreign ATM card transactions.

Guess it has been longer since I used the ATM than I thought. Still a nice example of greed though.

David

17 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

Guess it has been longer since I used the ATM than I thought. Still a nice example of greed though.

David

Not sure where your from but you must have a fee exempt from your home land as that is nothing if your home country is usually charging as well

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Been 220 baht for a while now at all banks for foreign ATM card transactions.

Except for the Bank of China .. the new CM branch is in Chiang Mai business park behind Big C

Accepts Mastercard and Union Pay

4 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Not sure where your from but you must have a fee exempt from your home land as that is nothing if your home country is usually charging as well

From the US and I use Charles Schwab. No fees and they reimburse me for the ATM fees each month. And I use Capital One credit cards so no fees there either.

David

My Schwab card is a great deal.  Not only are ATM charges rebated but also the bank applies no foreign transaction fees (which typically amount to 1-3%).  If you are American, it pays to look at the few U.S. banks that offer free plastic featuring no ATM or foreign transaction fees.  My back-up card is issued by Stanford Federal Credit Union, which offers membership via a one-time $5 donation to the Palo Alto public library system.  Check out https://www.sfcu.org/ and save big baht!

The fees help pay for the Thai Banks Non-Performing loans. Many homeowners are months and years past due

and the banks never foreclose on them. They just renew the loans after making a couple of payments. One day

they'll have to look at home value compared to loan balance. Many of the loans are upside down.

On 21/04/2017 at 8:42 PM, Mickeem said:

Except for the Bank of China .. the new CM branch is in Chiang Mai business park behind Big C

Accepts Mastercard and Union Pay

Which Big C do you mean...Super Highway, Mae Hia 1 or Hang Dong/Sanpatong 2 ?

48 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Which Big C do you mean...Super Highway, Mae Hia 1 or Hang Dong/Sanpatong 2 ?

Super highway, its at the rear of Big C, on other side of the road.

regards worgeordie

Use online transfer instead via a third party. I use Transferwise which gives an excellent rate (much better than the banks or visa) and charges very little. Its peer-to-peer, they take advantage of people moving money in different directions.  (my last transfer of GBP330 cost about 3 quid).

And if you click this link, your first transfer up to GBP500 will be with no charge.

I have two different credit union accounts...neither would allow me to link with Bangkok Bank New York.  But,  I use my Thai bank for ATM, I can use any Thai Bank nationwide and not pay a fee...unlimited times per month.  And get 1.5% APR, paid monthly...free card, free first year...then 100 THB per year.  More and more banks rely on fees for profit...the old model of loaning money out at higher rates paid to depositors has been on hold for years.  Many are simply too lazy to fill out the paperwork, now required.  GMAC is in far worse shape than the Thai Banks.  Not news to most, but their cars lose ha!f their value in two years while the balance is only 20% less...or worse.  Try comparing that to real estate in Thailand.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

On 4/22/2017 at 7:39 AM, Dante99 said:

David,

Which no fees Capital One credit cards do you have?  

Thanks.

I use the Capital One Venture Reward card. I use it to pay for just about everything - food, Internet, airfare, travel, etc. It has an annual fee of US$59. I get 2 miles per dollar spend. While their interest rate on a carried balance is a bit high, I never carry a balance so it doesn't matter to me. Even after the annual fee, I manage to net about US$200 per year in rewards. 

For getting monthly spending money into Thailand, I use my Schwab ATM card. You get the best rates, no fees, and ATM charge reimbursement. I've used it all over the world and never had a problem.

Both are highly recommended.

David

On 04/22/2017 at 11:33 PM, KhonKaenKowboy said:

But,  I use my Thai bank for ATM, I can use any Thai Bank nationwide and not pay a fee...unlimited times per month.  And get 1.5% APR, paid monthly...free card, free first year...then 100 THB per year. 

You have thrown in several items in your post.

Can you clarify the above?

Do you mean you have an account with a Thai bank that allows you to use their ATM card anywhere in Thailand without any fees? Withdrawals, at ATMs or counter with no fee even outside your base area?

If so which bank and what type of account.

Thanks.

26 minutes ago, Wandr said:

You have thrown in several items in your post.

Can you clarify the above?

Do you mean you have an account with a Thai bank that allows you to use their ATM card anywhere in Thailand without any fees? Withdrawals, at ATMs or counter with no fee even outside your base area?

If so which bank and what type of account.

Thanks.

CIMB SPEED SAVINGS PREFERRED......Visa debit card...no interbank fee no inter province fees...unlimited, at ATM.  most banks take 50 THB for a counter withdrawal, but since it isn't itemized, many think it is free; it is not.  Get 20000...you actually get the visa rate for 20050 in your currency on your statement, and are handed 20000.

On 4/22/2017 at 2:30 PM, heybruce said:

AEON still charges 150 baht for withdrawals from foreign banks.  Unfortunately AEON ATM's are few and far between, and long lines form at them at the beginning and end of months.

curious to hear about some real world up to date on this.  late time I tried using at Airport Central, the ATM indicated a fee of 180 baht.  That was back when every other bank was charging 180 baht.  
Has it gone down?  

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 1:49 PM, KhonKaenKowboy said:

CIMB SPEED SAVINGS PREFERRED......Visa debit card...no interbank fee no inter province fees...unlimited, at ATM.  most banks take 50 THB for a counter withdrawal, but since it isn't itemized, many think it is free; it is not.  Get 20000...you actually get the visa rate for 20050 in your currency on your statement, and are handed 20000.

My counter withdrawals at Bangkok Bank are exact to the posted Visa Corporate, USA, currency exchange rates.  My financial institution also does not pass on any of the foreign currency exchange rate.  Effectively I get money transferred for free.  This is true for only one of my US financial institutions.  The others pass on the foreign currency exchange rate, plus a cash withdrawal fee.

Edited by hml367

On 4/22/2017 at 11:29 PM, naboo said:

Use online transfer instead via a third party. I use Transferwise which gives an excellent rate (much better than the banks or visa) and charges very little. Its peer-to-peer, they take advantage of people moving money in different directions.  (my last transfer of GBP330 cost about 3 quid).

And if you click this link, your first transfer up to GBP500 will be with no charge.

Comparing Transferwise to Bangkok Bank ACH transfer (through Bangkok Bank of New York for those in USA):
Anything under $2500 is better to go with Transferwise, over that BB is better.  Keep in mind, we are talking about 100-200 baht in some cases.  The more you transfer the better return BB gives, at least up to $50,000.  I did not do any calculation into the $20 fee, but after $50,000 I don't think $20 and the max 500 baht fee is going to affect very much.

Question: When I use a foreign debit card at an ATM machine, the bank service fee, in this case 220 baht, is added to the withdrawal amount and does not show as a separate line item as a fee.

So, if you have a "no fee" debit card, like Charles Schwab", do do that wave the fee or how do you recover it?

27 minutes ago, bubba said:

Question: When I use a foreign debit card at an ATM machine, the bank service fee, in this case 220 baht, is added to the withdrawal amount and does not show as a separate line item as a fee.

So, if you have a "no fee" debit card, like Charles Schwab", do do that wave the fee or how do you recover it?

With Schwab, the ATM fees are reimbursed to your account at the end of each month.

David

6 hours ago, Nowisee said:

curious to hear about some real world up to date on this.  late time I tried using at Airport Central, the ATM indicated a fee of 180 baht.  That was back when every other bank was charging 180 baht.  
Has it gone down?  

I just checked my receipt.  I paid a 150 baht ATM fee on a15000 baht withdrawal from the AEON ATM in Siam TV on April 22.