Changing wife's name on Thai Passport

I live in the USA. I just got married to a Thai citizen. How do I go about changing her last name on her Thai Passport?

I went to the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles and the information desk said I had to change her name in the Tambien Baan first then apply for a new passport in Thailand.

Does anyone know of a way to do this without going to Thailand? There must be an easier way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have the correct information. You/wifey must go to Thailand and change in her Blue housebook (tabien Baan) first. And then it is open to change in the passport.

This house-book is Thailands way of dealing with the public records... Old fashion sure, but this is the reason and that´s why you have to go to Thailand and change name..

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

Just now, glegolo said:

You have the correct information. You/wifey must go to Thailand and change in her Blue housebook (tabien Baan) first. And then it is open to change in the passport.

Glegolo

The tabian baan name change is a same day affair at her local amphur and the new passport can be done in 5 to 7 working days.

34 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The tabian baan name change is a same day affair at her local amphur and the new passport can be done in 5 to 7 working days.

Not quite that easy if a marriage is involved.

The foreign marriage will need to be registered at the Amphoe also. That  requires a legalization of the marriage certificate, translation of it and certification of the translation.first.

55 minutes ago, wtboatr said:

I went to the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles and the information desk said I had to change her name in the Tambien Baan first then apply for a new passport in Thailand.

You were informed correctly. Thailand does not do name changes on passports anymore like many other countries. A name change requires a new passport to be issued.

4 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Is there any advantage in a married woman changing her name these days?

Probably not. But in some cases such as certain visas being issued it can make things easier.

My Thai wife had no choice when we registered our marriage back in 2001. It was Thai law at that time that woman had to change her name to her husband's. The law was hanged in 2002 to comply with the 1997 constitution.

We got married in Thailand not in the same city as we're the wife is from. Passport we did the paperwork to change her name in Pattaya passport office. Presume they sent it to home city KK then was posted back to her in Pattaya.

ID  card has to be done in home city as does tabien  blue book. ID has to be done within a set time period and was very easy to do 30 mins in and out in Amphoa KK

Blue book didn't bother with till we moved into house we were building then did it in one hit remove from mothers house book get a new one for her in new name again a very simple process in KK with name change documents which were given at time of marriage.

So to Answer OP no has to be done in Thailand.

I remember when we got spliced wife was asked if she wanted to change her name or not which I presume is normal now.

3 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

We got married in Thailand not in the same city as we're the wife is from. Passport we did the paperwork to change her name in Pattaya passport office. Presume they sent it to home city KK then was posted back to her in Pattaya.

ID  card has to be done in home city as does tabien  blue book. ID has to be done within a set time period and was very easy to do 30 mins in and out in Amphoa KK

Blue book didn't bother with till we moved into house we were building then did it in one hit remove from mothers house book get a new one for her in new name again a very simple process in KK with name change documents which were given at time of marriage.

So to Answer OP no has to be done in Thailand.

I remember when we got spliced wife was asked if she wanted to change her name or not which I presume is normal now.

Yes have to do the lot 

Also your wife will get a certificate stating that she has had a name change ( looks a bit like a marriage cert ) which maybe in future cases she may need to show this IE: Marriage Visas ' Ect

The way the OP goes on about...

2 hours ago, wtboatr said:

How do I go about changing her last name on her Thai Passport?

and

2 hours ago, wtboatr said:

...information desk said I had to change her name in the Tambien Baan first

it sounds pretty much like an ownership thing.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Not quite that easy if a marriage is involved.

The foreign marriage will need to be registered at the Amphoe also. That  requires a legalization of the marriage certificate, translation of it and certification of the translation.first.

Oops yes, forgot about that. A couple or 3 of days at the DMF + another 3 to 5 days depending on where the Amphur is and mode of domestic travel. THEN it's a same-day ID card change and 5-7 working days for the passport.

Does the foreign wedding legalization procedure also involve the foreign spouses embassy? If so, that may be good for another day or 2.

Edited by NanLaew

We were also in a similar situation. We were married in Thailand, but lived in Egypt. We got the same story from the Thai embassy in Cairo as yourself and others who have answered. Must return to Thailand.

The important matter is that the name on your wife's ID and her passport must match. And a new ID can only be issued in Thailand. She got her ID card changed very easily in her home town, having provided proof of marriage and my ID. 

But take note, they spelt our family name wrong on her new ID! Fortunately, I spotted it before we left the office and it was easily corrected.

Thereafter, getting her passport replaced was a breeze.

Edited by Moonlover

25 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Does the foreign wedding legalization procedure also involve the foreign spouses embassy?

Since it is the US a self certification of the marriage certificate could be done by doing a affidavit at the embassy that would be accepted after it is translated the translation is certified.

Or they could get it certified by the state where they got married and then have it certified by US department of state.

48 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Yes have to do the lot 

Also your wife will get a certificate stating that she has had a name change ( looks a bit like a marriage cert ) which maybe in future cases she may need to show this IE: Marriage Visas ' Ect

Yes have the name change certificate never had to show it yet though after the initial name change for ID and blue book

• 6 months later...
7 minutes ago, Mooner said:

What does the wife need to change the tabien baan at her local amphur?

Marriage certificate, house book and ID card and then do a application for a name change is about it if you got married here.

For a foreign marriage the may do it without doing a registration of that marriage to change her marital status would be different.  She might be able to change her family name to yours with your permission without doing the registration.

• 9 months later...
On 4/22/2017 at 9:29 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

Is there any advantage in a married woman changing her name these days?

My wife will be getting her US citizenship in a few years and we want to be able to travel back and forth from the US to Thailand with no issues. Having a plane ticket in her married name and both passports in her married name would be advantageous for having no issues.