What to do in Phuket in Off Season?

Phuket Greg

I'm interested in what good deals and activities there are in Phuket in off season.

Best trips. Best restaurants. Best massages (soapy and otherwise)?

Best festivals? Best seasonal fruits & foods?

Best activities? Best places around Phuket to visit?

Best beaches? Best Islands?

Best Hotel deals? Best Markets?

How about an update on Phuket in Off Season 2017?

:)

No difference between high season and low season for people who live here full time,

All the same businesses running and everything is business as usual in the low season just more rain and less tourists and traffic, which suites me fine

Best trips. Best restaurants. Best massages (soapy and otherwise)?

Best activities? Best places around Phuket to visit?

Best beaches? Best Islands? Best Markets?

Same all year round. 

Apart from having to work around some weather events, these things don't actually change with the season. Some beaches will have bigger waves and will occasionally be closed in an attempt to stop tourists doing lemming impressions. Sometimes the seas will be too rough for boat trips to outer islands.

Because of it's unique geographical features, and long standing status as a top tourist destination, Phuket possibly has more activities for visitors than any where else in Thailand. Far too many to list here. Do a forum search. Very few close down in the off season. 

Many who pontificate on this forum never venture further than a Bangla Rd beer bar.

Best festivals?

http://www.phuket.com/events.htm 

Pick one that suits. The Gay Pride one is on in a few days.

Best seasonal fruits & foods?

Great food all year round. Some fruits come on the market at different times of the year. Of interest would depend on what you like.  Durians, for instance, peak in mid year. 

Best Hotel deals?

Cheaper in low season. Search the internet. Check sites with last minute deals.

3 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Best Hotel deals?

Cheaper in low season. Search the internet. Check sites with last minute deals.

Hotel in Nanai now has rooms at 549 baht with breakfast included and a friend is staying at PS Hotel on Rat-u-Thid for 800 baht a night and this is walking distance to nightlife, shops and restaurants.

1 hour ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

Looks like the OP Phuket Greg is just another in the long line of new TV members created to make click bait posts.  The handful of real posters on this site is growing smaller by the day.

Yes, but apparently Phuket is not losing its expats.  :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

Lychees, mangosteens and rambutans have all come into season together for some reason, and there is plenty of jack fruit around. The sea - at least at Nai Harn - is pretty much unplayable for everyone apart from surfers. Some of the smaller bars/pad Thai stalls have closed and the roads are distinctly quieter, apart from Chalong circle. Main activity as I write is: stand outside and get wet...

The low season means fewer tourists to mar the situation. Unless your business depends upon tourists, you are probably better off--you can negotiate better deals on everything and there are not so many numb-nuts to foul-up the works. The rain is refreshing in the heat and should not bother anyone who prefers Phuket's wide-range of activities. Of course, the infrastructure sucks, but if you consider that part of Phuket's charm, you will do well.

I love this wet weather!  It's cooler and the garden, fields and mountain are greener than I've ever seen them.  Also I know I wont have problems with the water supply from my well this year. Getting a little wet occasionally is no big deal.

Less bikes, and people, on the roads is a bonus.

One downside was losing my big TV to a lightning strike.

Edited by Old Croc

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

I love this wet weather!  It's cooler and the garden, fields and mountain are greener than I've ever seen them.  Also I know I wont have problems with the water supply from my well this year. Getting a little wet occasionally is no big deal.

Less bikes, and people, on the roads is a bonus.

One downside was losing my big TV to a lightning strike.

That big one around 9ish today was a ripper, one of those 1 offs from out of nowhere..loven it!

17 hours ago, Tapster said:

We're selling a 42" plasma screen in Rawai for 7,500 THB, if you're interested.

:smile:

Thanks. I've already bought a new, smart TV.

(frustratingly, smarter than me unfortunately)